usbbqsupply

» Support TQJ

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Online Users: 28

2 members and 26 guests
Most users ever online was 459, 11-07-2010 at 10:58 PM.

» Stats

Members: 3,109
Threads: 14,363
Top Poster: PigCicles (10,055)
Welcome to our newest member, Mienshao
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Major pizza fail! Help wanted

I got my new soaqstone pizza stone today and gave it a spin.

Heated up the grill w/ the stone to around 500* threw a little corn meal on the stone and slid the pizza onto it.

10 minutes later the pizza looked great on top and I took the pizza off. It was one of the best looking pizzas I have ever seen, but then, when I took the first bite, the bottom of the crust was BLACK, and just like cinders.

I didn't take it off until the top looked right, but the bottom was so bad we had to peel the top off and eat it.

What did I do wrong? Obviously the stone ewas too hot, but if I put the pie on earlier, would the bottom have crusted up? Is there a perfect surface temp for a stone?

If have any input, please share. I don't want another miserable fail like this again.

And done

It does look purdy.
    Why in the hell should I have to "Press 1 for English?"

You wouldn't say that if I lifted the edge up.

I think the stone was to hot, wood fired pizza ovens use indirect heat. The fire is off to the side and heats the stone floor cooking the bottom and the radiant heat cooks the top. Cooking on a rock is just like cooking on CI as long as you keep the heat on it the hotter it gets because it dissipates slowly.
    How much oil is in your dough recipe to much or the wrong oil can lead to burning too if the smoke point is to low.
    I make my dough two to three days ahead and let it ferment in the ice box.
    Blu's Pizza Doug

2 1/2 cups AP flour
    3/8 tsp yeast
    1 tsp fine salt
    2 tbl olive oil ( Not Extra virgin)
    1 cup water

Dump the wet stuff in to the mixer bowl and add the dry run mixer on low for 20 min.
    Remove dough to a lightly oiled plastic bag stash in the icebox 2 days.
    Morning your making pizza transfer to a lightly oiled bowl and cover with the plastic bag allow to rise about 6 hrs punch down roll out & build your pie.
    Be kind to me, it's not my fault I'm a "PORK-A-HOLIC"!!
    MY Blog:Http://acountryboyeats.blogspot.com
    Chargriller Smokin' Pro/SFB
    Webber 22.5"
    Memorial UDS Big Jim

Quote Originally Posted by BluDawg View Post
    I think the stone was to hot...

In that pic it sure looks like the grill is right down on that fire. Not familiar with that grill, can the grill be raised or fire be lowered?
    I am in shape. Round is a shape.
    I LOVE vegetarians! They come in Chicken, Pork, and Beef flavors!

I've seen alot of DDD pizza shows and they talk about the floor being something like 700* and the heat from the top is 1000+.

Sounds/looks like you need the pie closer to the lid. maybe hold up stone on some bricks to get closer?

Or could use stone to "par" cook or crisp up bread then add toppings and cook indirect.

That sure did look good from top. Glad you finally made a mistake, turd! Bout time you join us commoners.

Mistakes - It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.

Well the top sure looks good. I can't help you with your problem as I have no experience making pizza on the grill. But I will gladly help you eat it once you perfect it, as I know you will!
    "Once I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
    Tom, smoker of meats and fine cigars
    UDS, Vicking grill

yup indirect heat .stone to hot ,i had the same problem on my first pie.took it over to indirect and all well.
    LOve to grill and eat .
    The balck oval primos x tr lrg
    Steve

4% of something that tastes like nothing is probably not needed.

Quote Originally Posted by BluDawg View Post
    I think the stone was to hot, wood fired pizza ovens use indirect heat. The fire is off to the side and heats the stone floor cooking the bottom and the radiant heat cooks the top. Cooking on a rock is just like cooking on CI as long as you keep the heat on it the hotter it gets because it dissipates slowly.
    How much oil is in your dough recipe to much or the wrong oil can lead to burning too if the smoke point is to low.
    I make my dough two to three days ahead and let it ferment in the ice box.
    Thanx Dawg.

I didn't make the dough. I picked it up at the local pizza shop.

Quote Originally Posted by O B City View Post

In that pic it sure looks like the grill is right down on that fire. Not familiar with that grill, can the grill be raised or fire be lowered?
    Yes, the fire grate is adjustable and yes I did have it up as far as it would go, intentionally. Incorrectly, but intentionally just the same.

Quote Originally Posted by BigAL View Post
    I've seen alot of DDD pizza shows and they talk about the floor being something like 700* and the heat from the top is 1000+.

Sounds/looks like you need the pie closer to the lid. maybe hold up stone on some bricks to get closer?

Or could use stone to "par" cook or crisp up bread then add toppings and cook indirect.

That sure did look good from top. Glad you finally made a mistake, turd! Bout time you join us commoners.
    I imagine the stone was up around 700-800*, but the "oven" area was prolly only around 400*. I think therein lies the problem. The bottom burnt before the top got done.

I think that next time, I will preheat the grill before I put the stone on and then not preheat it as long. I prolly need to dig out my IR thermo and shoot a temp or two on it before I cook.

I do like the idea of raising the stone. I really don't have the ability to set the stone indirect though. The grill just isn't beig enough.

I think if you put a cool stone in a hot oven or grill it WILL break it needs heated up slowly.

Mistakes - It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast