Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Stats

Members: 3,109
Threads: 14,363
Top Poster: PigCicles (10,055)
Welcome to our newest member, Mienshao
    swamprb is offline Can tell pulled pork from sliced brisket swamprb is an unknown quantity at this point

Default **Anyone using Sweet Smokin' Swine Brine with Chicken???**

I've been brining my comp chicken lately and just have not hit on one particular recipe to take it over the top. This weekend I had my first chance to use my new brining bucket from The Briner, http://www.thebriner.com/ and kinda went wild with poultry. But I'd heard people were using FabP Lite for chicken injection, I thought I would soak some thighs in a mix of Sweet Smokin Swine Brine.

The 4 thighs on the Right were soaked in SSSB for 5 hours, and the 6 on the Left as well as the Duck breasts were soaked the same time but in a basic poultry brine. Then air dried in the refer overnight. No trimming was done.

I seasoned the SSSB thighs on both sides with Okie Dust and the brined thighs with Bigmista's Chicken Scratch.

Fired up REDRUM with Lazarri Mesquite lump and Almond/Guava wood for smoke.

Glazed a couple test thighs from both batches with a thinned mix of Butcher BBQ sauce.

I let them rest tented in foil for 10 minutes, the skin wasn't bad, just not quite bite through, but they both had great flavor.

They look dry, but were moist, the L piece is the Smoky Okie thigh and there was a definite smokey flavor in the meat with the hint of the spices, (which by the way have poultry written all over it!) the brined thigh was more saltier but flavorful, but not overpowering.(needs tweaking!)

I'm thinking I'll inject some Sweet Smokin' Swine Brine into some thighs next time. Its just not for Pork anymore!

Interesting and very fair side by side comparison. I think injecting would be the way to go. I'm hoping you will report back on that.

I've actually used the SSSB on brisket with favorable results. Way to be creative and try out new things
    Plank Owner ..................
    I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian!

They look very purdy.
    Why in the hell should I have to "Press 1 for English?"

I think that brining will give oyu much better results that injecting with poultry as outlawry muscle structure doesn't lend itself as well to injection.

Brian, I have made some subtle adjustments to the SSSB formulation and will be out with a new product "THE SOLUTION for Chicken" within a few days.

I used some last weekend with VERY good results. The entire thickness of the meat was chock full of flavor from a 90 minute brine.

Sooooooo, if you want chicken brine, just hold on for a little bit and I'll have The Solution for you. (pun intended)

swamprb is offline Can tell pulled pork from sliced brisket swamprb is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote Originally Posted by SmokyOkie View Post
    I think that brining will give oyu much better results that injecting with poultry as outlawry muscle structure doesn't lend itself as well to injection.

Brian, I have made some subtle adjustments to the SSSB formulation and will be out with a new product "THE SOLUTION for Chicken" within a few days.

I used some last weekend with VERY good results. The entire thickness of the meat was chock full of flavor from a 90 minute brine.

Sooooooo, if you want chicken brine, just hold on for a little bit and I'll have The Solution for you. (pun intended)

I saw that thread, and have been awaiting news of the arrival of the solution. I'll hold tight.

If I can get time this week, I'll have it.