usbbqsupply

» Support TQJ

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Online Users: 21

4 members and 17 guests
Most users ever online was 459, 11-07-2010 at 10:58 PM.

» Stats

Members: 3,109
Threads: 14,363
Top Poster: PigCicles (10,055)
Welcome to our newest member, Mienshao
    swamprb is offline Can tell pulled pork from sliced brisket swamprb is an unknown quantity at this point

Default Fire brick Fuse burn with the BWS Gater

I love the results I'm getting with the Backwoods Gater, but I admit that I am impatient when it comes to getting the pit up to temp and the time it takes to do so...but I'm working on it!

Here is my latest addition to the charcoal tray to get the fuse burn that I'm looking for.

I took the rails from my first attempt and removed the steel divider and replaced it with fire bricks, used a masonry bit and bolted them to the angle iron so they stand on their own.

For this cook, I used @ 12 lbs of Maple Leaf Natural briqs (think Rancher, Stubbs, Trader Joes) @ 1 1/2 bags

Now for the MEATs!

Top: 4 Berkshire pork Short Ribs dusted with Okie Dust, a 5.3 lb. Berkshire CT Butt rubbed with I Que seasoning,
    Lower L-R: CAB Short Ribs dusted with Smokin' Guns Mild and two trays of Wagyu trimmings from some comp Briskets dusted with Cow Cover and a Dalmation rub for burnt ends.

Water in the pan, Guru assist, Nectarine and Oak wine staves for smoke.

It took @ 90 minutes for the BWS to get to 250*, but when it did it rocked steady and once again, the results were amazing!

9+ hours and the temp started dropping and hovered at 225*, everything was done and we had a lot of briq left in the tray. The fuse burn worked great, the fire bricks are 2" longer than the steel dividers I used previously and I think they kept a lot of extra briqs from firing off at the corners.

Nice cook Bri, but what are you trying to accomplish with the maze burn?

You should come up to temp faster with a progressive brun from the same corner as your Guru inlet.

If you want to speed up warm up time do these two things.

Fill the water pan with hot water. Preheat the walls and racks of the oven chamber with a warming torch (short handled wed burner). I get my Competitor up to temp in about 40 minutes if I'm paying attention, and it is more metal and water than your Gater.

I just got a new to me competitor, and it had a fire brick maze in it. Haven't gotten back to AZ with it yet, but when I do, I'll post pictures.
    Mark Crigler

swamprb is offline Can tell pulled pork from sliced brisket swamprb is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote Originally Posted by jmcrig View Post
    I just got a new to me competitor, and it had a fire brick maze in it. Haven't gotten back to AZ with it yet, but when I do, I'll post pictures.

Thanks!