» Support TQJ

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Online Users: 30

0 members and 30 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 2,553, 02-17-2020 at 12:48 PM.

» Stats

Members: 969
Threads: 14,365
Top Poster: PigCicles (10,055)
Welcome to our newest member, SmokyOkie

Default Recipes for smoked Trout

If you have a good recipe for smoked trout, please post it here. I went trout fishing last week and now have some fresh trout in the freezer. I have never smoked trout so I am open to all suggestions. thanks in advance.

Way we do it is use a basic fish brine, heck I'm sure you could use a poultry brine also. 24hrs in that or at least a day, take them out, wash off real good, score them diag. and shake some garlic salt on em. Pack a thin layer of brown sugar on em and into the smoker until done. Time will vary with temp but shouldn't take long. Use a fork to pull the meat back and watch for the opaque to be gone. We use hickory wood.
    Attachment 600

Good luck and post some qview if ya can.
    Last edited by Chargrilled; 08-06-2008 at 02:52 PM.
    MEMBER: BERGIE BBQ team 2011, 2012.

SmokyOkie Guest

Do you want to cold smoke or hot smoke?

If you want to cold smoke, you need to cure first. A good basic cure is equal parts sea salt ( not table salt) or kosher salt and sugar. Add any other herbs and spices that you like. Dry pack the fish and refrigerate for 24-36 hours, then rinse well, soak for 15 minutes and rinse well again. Pat dry and give them another 2-3 hrs in the fridge unwrapped to let the fridge dry out the surface. At this stage, you can rub with oil, honey, or other. You can also leave them naked. I like oil and honey for sweetness and to keep them from drying out too much as well.

Next place in a 90-100 smoker and smoke with light smoke to the degree of smokiness that you like.

If you want to hot smoke them, you can just season them any way you like and throw them on a 225-250 smker until the juices come up opaque in the middle.

There are some salmon recipes in the seafood forum if you want some ideas of what to season them with.

[quote=SmokyOkie;11426]Do you want to cold smoke or hot smoke?
    quote]
    I dont know... I will probably hot smoke. Thanks for the imput, I will look at the salmon recipes you mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by HeapOmeat View Post
    Trout is so delicate a flavor...........what ever you do don't overpower it.

I suggest a very light seasoning of garlic powder, and maybe some black pepper, and use a light flavored wood like apple, pear, or alder......no offense, but I can't imagine using hickory on and seafood, wayyy to sharp a acrid flavor for light delicate meat........IMHO
    none taken,

Buddy was smokin with hickory, I have a bag of alder chunks from Montana that I use with fish and totally agree that you have to be careful with hickory around fish,.... although if done right yummmmmmmmmy.
    MEMBER: BERGIE BBQ team 2011, 2012.