usbbqsupply

» Support TQJ

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Online Users: 22

8 members and 14 guests
Most users ever online was 459, 11-07-2010 at 10:58 PM.

» Stats

Members: 3,109
Threads: 14,363
Top Poster: PigCicles (10,055)
Welcome to our newest member, Mienshao
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Insulated UDS????

I'm thinking about building an insulated drum or converting one of my drums. I have access to an 85 gallon overpack drum. a 55 galln drum will easily fit inside. What my main questions are is as follows:

What should I insulated it with?

should I insulate the bottom as well as the sides?

How should I go about sealing off the insulation between the tops of the two drums?

If anybody has any thoughts, help would be appreciated.

Also, if anyone can see any other possible sticking points, that would be appreciated as well.

I have thought about this a lot in the past.
    I think the bottom would have to be insulated as well as the sides and top.
    I would go with the Thermal Ceramic wool insulation.
    You may need to make some sort of ring that would skin over the gap on the top and weld it in place.
    Keep us posted...I like the sounds of it. Almost like a Ceramic cooker, but a drum....
    ~Brian~
    BBQ Jones comp team
    KCBS Member
    KCBS CBJ

Yeah, as to the top seal, the problem I am havinf is visualizing where the inner drum would attach without interfering with the lid seal, or allowing drippings to accumulate.

I don't think adding insulation to the bottom would be worth the cost of the materials Heat rises. I can lay a bare hand on the bottom of mine during cook as long as I want it is relatively cool. The top isn't an issue to seal up. All that is needed is a filler piece( like a big doughnut) that will fill the gap between the two drums. Install a flange on the inner drums top lip to accept the lid. You can use two lids with insulation sandwiched in between and banded around the circumference. If it where me I would go with 1 2" intake and use a straight walled drum for the inner.
    Be kind to me, it's not my fault I'm a "PORK-A-HOLIC"!!
    MY Blog:Http://acountryboyeats.blogspot.com
    Chargriller Smokin' Pro/SFB
    Webber 22.5"
    Memorial UDS Big Jim

I think it would be important to seal it Dawg. I I don't, I promise crap is going to run down between the to and contaminate the insulation.

Consider raising the inner drum to approx 1" above the salvage drum and tapering down from the inner drum to the salvage drum to force any drippings away. Or, if you want the inner drum lower, have tubing bent and cut in half to form a drip tray around the circumference of the inner drum just below the lip so anything running down to the inner drum is caught.

The ceramic insulation, I think, would probably be the way to go.

The intake will need to be well fitted. But I'm sure you will be using a power draft on it, so size most likely won't be a huge issue.
    Plank Owner ..................
    I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian!

Quote Originally Posted by SmokyOkie View Post
    I think it would be important to seal it Dawg. I I don't, I promise crap is going to run down between the to and contaminate the insulation.
    I reckon I should have mentioned you need to weld it together. I forgot I need to be very descriptive and speak Slowly when explaining to an Oaky If you got Sheah..it running out of the top of the drum and dripping down your lid aint sealed tight. I've never had anything drip and run down the outside of Big Jim.
    Last edited by BluDawg; 07-30-2012 at 04:20 PM.
    Be kind to me, it's not my fault I'm a "PORK-A-HOLIC"!!
    MY Blog:Http://acountryboyeats.blogspot.com
    Chargriller Smokin' Pro/SFB
    Webber 22.5"
    Memorial UDS Big Jim

I've seen a couple out there, I don't think they used anything between them though.

I've also seen a guy that sells a retainer ring for installing fire brick in the lower portion of a 55gallon drum.
    UDS Mini UDS Weber Performer Weber 18.5 OTG Smokey Joe Smokey Joe WSM mod Weber-Q 1200

Quote Originally Posted by BluDawg View Post
    I reckon I should have mentioned you need to weld it together. I forgot I need to be very descriptive and speak Slowly when explaining to an Oaky If you got Sheah..it running out of the top of the drum and dripping down your lid aint sealed tight. I've never had anything drip and run down the outside of Big Jim.
    I've been known to splash sauces, bastes, grease and such here and there when I cook. If it is just on the ground or outside of the drum, that is OK, but down between two drums is a different story.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokyOkie View Post
    I've been known to splash sauces, bastes, grease and such here and there when I cook. If it is just on the ground or outside of the drum, that is OK, but down between two drums is a different story.
    I come from the KISS school of thinking ( or not overthinking). If a few bags of sand are dropped inbetween, a lot of thermal mass is gained. Slopped goop can get down in there, but it can be replaced very cheaply if you need to.
    I am in shape. Round is a shape.
    I LOVE vegetarians! They come in Chicken, Pork, and Beef flavors!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast