usbbqsupply

» Support TQJ

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Online Users: 18

3 members and 15 guests
Most users ever online was 459, 11-07-2010 at 10:58 PM.

» Stats

Members: 3,109
Threads: 14,363
Top Poster: PigCicles (10,055)
Welcome to our newest member, Mienshao

Default Buckingham's (Glenstone Ave)

Buckingham's 2415 Glenstone Ave

In business at this location approx. 15 yrs (waiter wasn't rock solid when asked)

Friday evening we stopped in Springfield to grab a bite to eat on the way to visit with the boy and his wife. This wasn't a planned visit to review, but what the hay I was there.

Buckingham's is a very nice restaurant. Well kept and clean. The decor is flashy with murals on the walls and ceilings. Nice signs too.

The atmosphere was very nice and we were promptly greeted and seated when we entered. Our waiter was very nice, prompt, and came around at nice intervals. I did notice he didn't try to upsell the appetizers, which I didn't want anyway.

On to our order ..

My wife ordered a smoked burger without bread and asked for extra tomato and pickle. Hers came with fries and baked beans which I tried for review purposes

I ordered their burnt ends with a side of okra.

When we received our order a few things hit me right away.

1. The burnt ends were not burnt ends. They were cubed slices of brisket point. They were not cooked in sauce and caramelized and rendered down to that wonderful meat candy as burnt ends should be.

When I brought it up to the waiter he stated that they serve them that way so the person eating them can apply their own sauce style at the table. The store manager also defended the manner in which they are served.

2. The fries were limp yet still slightly under cooked (texture in the center was firm)

3 The baked beans were good, but a little light on overall flavor. Nice sized pieces of pork and a light smoky flavor.

Overall the restaurant is a nice place to eat. The manager was friendly and listened to what I had to say (I called him over to let him know of my upcoming review).

They use a large smoker out back and use hickory wood to smoke their food. The manager didn't have a name for the smoker, I wasn't invited to look it over.

I would go back again, but I doubt that I would order the burnt ends.

Cell pics of the restaurant:

The price tag at the end:

Thanks for reading my review of Buckingham's of Springfield Missouri (Glenstone Ave location)
    Plank Owner ..................
    I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian!

I ate there once about 7 or 8 years ago. The guys at the Bass Pro hdqtrs bought me lunch there.

As I recall, it was an overall decent experience, but I don't recall being overly impressed with the food.

They serve fresh cut fries don't they?

Good review Joe!
    "Once I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
    Tom, smoker of meats and fine cigars
    UDS, Vicking grill

Quote Originally Posted by SmokyOkie View Post
    I ate there once about 7 or 8 years ago. The guys at the Bass Pro hdqtrs bought me lunch there.

As I recall, it was an overall decent experience, but I don't recall being overly impressed with the food.

They serve fresh cut fries don't they?
    Yes they were fresh cut fries. I would like to see those same fries offered as seasoned fries also. As they were they had good flavor, just needed cooked a little longer.

This message proudly sponsored by beer drinkers and bbqers everywhere.

I have tried Buckingham's, my cuz is a friend of the owner and he sent a pile of grub over for us when my Mom died. It ain't killer Q but it it ain't bad. Joe's on it.

Being an ol' born and raised Springfield boy I prefer the original, Crosstown Barbecue, been around a LONG time. It has been expanded but they retained the old place and the brick pit. The sauce is not what most think of, it is their own and just theirs. Some may not care for it, I do. And so do a lot of other folks.
    "If you can't smell smoke it ain't a barbeque joint" peculiarmike

TQJ Plankowner

"Life's tough.....It's even tougher if you're stupid."
    - John Wayne

Thank you Mike, I forgot to include the sauce in the review. It is a little different and I did like it. I've been thinking about heading back but just haven't had the time.

This message supported by duct tape and bubble gum.