» Support TQJ

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Online Users: 40

0 members and 40 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 2,553, 02-17-2020 at 12:48 PM.

» Stats

Members: 969
Threads: 14,365
Top Poster: PigCicles (10,055)
Welcome to our newest member, SmokyOkie
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Fatty tutorial

Default Fatty tutorial

Aren't there recipes and pictures of fatties being made somewhere on this site?
    I want to try some but can not find recipes.

Do you use bulk breakfast sausage?
    Edgy Bob
    World's Skinniest Fatman.
    GOSM Smoker
    CharmGlow Grill

Yeah, Bob, a tube of Jimmy Dean or something along those lines works......basically you flatten it out, put what ever stuff you want in it and roll it up..........Cook til an internal of 160 or so.

I have seen some that are quite elaborate and tips on effective rolling........but I can't help you there. I find a Fatty about as tasty as mesquite.
    FBJ

I like a JD fatty straight up hot off the smoker and I like the same in breakfast burritos, pizza, etc.
    I've never made a stuffed fatty so I can't help you there.
    On all the sites I am a member of (I am an equal opportunity smoking information seeker) I have never seen any "recipe" for stuffed fattys. Everyone seems to go their own way and put whatever they want in them. Some are minimal and some are "garbage" fattys with everything in the fridge in them.
    I have seen folks say they flatten the sausage on a flexible pastry sheet or something of that sort that allows them to pick up the edge and start the rolling process.
    WAY too much hassle for me, I take my fatty plain, straight up, neat.
    Bottom line - do what YOU like, it's YOUR fatty!
    "If you can't smell smoke it ain't a barbeque joint" peculiarmike

TQJ Plankowner

"Life's tough.....It's even tougher if you're stupid."
    - John Wayne

SmokyOkie Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Fatback Joe View Post
    Yeah, Bob, a tube of Jimmy Dean or something along those lines works......basically you flatten it out, put what ever stuff you want in it and roll it up..........Cook til an internal of 160 or so.

I have seen some that are quite elaborate and tips on effective rolling........but I can't help you there. I find a Fatty about as tasty as mesquite.

Not a true fatty when you do that.

A true fatty is just simply a chub of breakfast sausage smoked whole. What you do with it after that is up to you.

I, like Joe have little use for them as is. I think a lot of others feel the same way, but they have become a part of Q culture, and thus e stuffed fatty was born, allowing folks to make them a little more desirable.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokyOkie View Post
    ...clipped...I, like Joe have little use for them as is. I think a lot of others feel the same way, but they have become a part of Q culture, and thus e stuffed fatty was born, allowing folks to make them a little more desirable.
    I'll admit to being a fan of them, and smoke them quite often. I liked the stuffed version the best, but I make the occasional plain ol' smoked chub. Either one fits nicely on some grilled biscuits and a fried egg. Add mayo and fresh 'mator slices....how could that not be good, eh?

I also like to break down a whole smoked chub and use for barbequed speghetti.
    Josh
    AKA: Geek with Fire

SmokyOkie Guest

You forgat the cheese!

I did one over at SMF, do you want me to post the link here, or is that gonna make some folks angry? I got a better idea. Check this one out!

http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/fo...d.php?t=242324

The voices in my head are
    medicated (legally)

Lang 60 w/warmer
    Bubba-Built UDS

SmokyOkie Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Dan View Post
    I did one over at SMF, do you want me to post the link here, or is that gonna make some folks angry? I got a better idea. Check this one out!

http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/fo...d.php?t=242324

Hey Spanky, why not just copy and paste over here instead of having a link.

I don't think anyone here minds a link to SMF, but I'm sure that we would all like to have our own tutorial!

OK, I'll do this. I will know better next time!

help rolling Fatties! w/ pics
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have had a few requests to show in detail the production of the perfect fatty, with pics. I hope this helps. There has been some discussion of using bratwurst sausage in a fatty. I bought a couple packs of the johnsonville brat patties. They were on sale 2 lbs for 6 bucks. So thats what I used for this example. I am doing lots of fatties today, the first two just happen to be brat meat.

1. Put meat into 1 gallon zip lock baggie, no need to seal, cheapo bags are fine.

roll them out as thick as you want, cold meat rolls better and sticks to the baggie less. these are rolled out to about 3/8" thickness.
    Now cut up the sides of the baggie right along the seam, just lift the baggie side up and slip a knife down into the corner, poke it through, and slice up to the top. It should lay out flat like this!

Now fill with your favorite stuffing materials, this one is a mixture of cheeses, with a little bit of butt rub sprinkled below the cheese.

Now take the right side and start to fold it over the left( I am right handed). You may hafta push some of the cheese back into the fold. Close it over and mate the ends together and it should look like this tube.

Keep working the roll towards the end of the split baggie. work on crimping the ends of the tube as you go. It should look like this.

On a seperate piece of celophane/saran wrap, lay out 4-5 strips of bacon next to each other.Take the fatty over to the celophane, and roll it off the zip lock, onto the end of the bacon rolls.

Pick up the end of the celophane and allow your fatty to roll itself over the bacon strips.

Take it right to the end, it should appear something like this.

Now spin that whole work of art 90 degrees and get ready to roll it up in the celophane.
    Add a little rub or desired spices.

and roll it up, this time folding the saran wrap in with itself to make a seal. It helps if the tray you are using is against the back of the counter, so it will stay pushed back.
    now take the twisted ends in your hand , lift and bring it towards you, set it back down and push away. keep doing this till it starts to tighten. Hold the ends tight and repeat a few times. The fatty will become shorter and fatter. The ends will seal themselves nicely and the bacon will tighten.

You are done. Now fold the tag ends under the fatty and stick it in the freezer for 5-15 minutes. This will firm it up so you can handle them without breaking them putting them on the smoker.

After 2 1/2 hrs or when the internal temp reaches 160-170, then take them off and let them rest/cool before slicing.

Ok, I hope that helps some folks enjoy the smoked fatty!

Lang 60 w/warmer
    Bubba-Built UDS

SmokyOkie Guest

Have you ever done a spiral wrap with the bacon? Like these:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast