» Support TQJ

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Online Users: 53

0 members and 53 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 2,553, 02-17-2020 at 12:48 PM.

» Stats

Members: 969
Threads: 14,365
Top Poster: PigCicles (10,055)
Welcome to our newest member, SmokyOkie

Default jalapeno and cheddar cheese summer sausage

hello everyone

yesterday i was going threw the freezer and found some deer meat and some elk meat left over from last year so i decided to make some Jalapeno summer sausage i mixed up a 25 pound batch and did half the batch with just Jalapeno and the other half i did Jalapeno and hi temp chedder cheese they turned out great i used premixed seasoning from ps seasoning i used 19 pounds of elk and deer mix and 6 pounds of pork butt here is a pic

Thats some Great looking SS.... I got to get me some of that high them cheese... I do a few batches of SS and pepperoni a year with deer meat and that cheese would be great.
    CharBroil Silver Smoker

Gotta say that looks GOOD!
    Some crackers, sliced cheeses, "somethinig cool to drink", something to prop your feet up on, DADDY! Good eats!
    "If you can't smell smoke it ain't a barbeque joint" peculiarmike

TQJ Plankowner

"Life's tough.....It's even tougher if you're stupid."
    - John Wayne

SmokyOkie Guest

Great lookin' stuff there!

Tell us about this "High temp cheddar"

Also, what type of casing did you use that stays so tight to the meat. All the cased SS I've ever made, the meat shrinks but the casing doesn't.

OK.. We need a summer sausage tutroial here! That sounds good!!!
    Chuck

http://cookinwithchuck.blogspot.com Updated 01/10/10

Midnight Blue Smokers - Ft. Worth, Texas

Q Joint Plank Owner.

SmokyOkie Guest

Are you listening Salmonclubber? That stuff looks as nice as any I've seen. Can you put a tutorial together?

ok guys

i bought a package of premixed seasoning from ps seasoning it was the japaleno summer sausage season it comes with the maple cure everything is pre measured and mixed for 25 pounds of meat ps seasonings has a lot of great seasonings

i also got some hi temp cheddar cheese and some powdered milk and some special meat binder from butcher-packer these products really improved my summer sausage making when making a 25 pound batch of summer sausage i like 2 pounds of hi temp cheddar cheese and 2 oz of the milk powder and 2 oz of the special meat binder

i then ground 19 pounds of deer and elk meat mixed together and then i ground six pounds of pork butt and mixed into the elk meat i then mixed the seasoning and cure and some powdered milk and special meat binder i mixed all together in some ice cold water about a pint poured over the meat and mixed into the meat

the casings are 4 inch by 20 inch casings i then stuff them into the casings i stuff the casing real tight then i crimp on a hog ring to hold the casing closed after the casings are stuffed i hang the sausage in the smoker

i pre heat the smoker to 120 degrees and i leave at 120 for 1 hour then i add a pan of chips i used hickory and smoke for 1 hour at a temp of 120 then i bump the temp up to 140 and smoke for 1 hour then bump temp to 160 for another hour and bump it up to 175 and finish the sausage at this temp when the sausage reaches a temp of 152 i pull and place into a ice cold bath leave the sausage in the cold water until it is no longer warm to the touch about 30 min this keep the casing from wrinkling

the casings are 4 x 20 Clear Fibrous Casings from ps seasonings

www.psseasonings.com
    www.butcher-packer.com

good luck if you have any more questions i will try and help out

huey
    Last edited by salmonclubber; 07-29-2008 at 09:56 PM.

That stuff looks great. I guess one of these days I may have to give it a try.