usbbqsupply

» Support TQJ

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Online Users: 33

5 members and 28 guests
Most users ever online was 459, 11-07-2010 at 10:58 PM.

» Stats

Members: 3,109
Threads: 14,363
Top Poster: PigCicles (10,055)
Welcome to our newest member, Mienshao
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

At first I thought we had a new moderator. Now I see it's really engineering changes.
    Small Barrel Smoker/Grill Weber One Touch Gold
    Cowboys don't lie, They only improve on the truth.

Hi Tim and All,

Thanks again for the feedback, I really appreciate all of your knowledge. I think I got the firebox hot enough, it peeled the paint of of the fire box where it connects to the smoking chamber. Kept it burning pretty good for the first 2 hrs. then closed the door in trhe end of the firebox but left the vent open and played with it the next 2 hrs. Finally got the temps to hold at
    225* to 240* from end to end of smoker box, for 1 1/2 hrs. and will go for another 1 1/2 hrs. and then shut down for today. E.T.
    JennAir-750-0141 ng
    JennAir Rotisserie
    E-Z Que Roto, 8" Basket
    Rib O Lator
    Acu-Rite Digital Probe
    Maverick ET-72 Remote Probe
    Brisket Rack
    Heat Vent Blocks.
    1 1/2"x1 1/2" SS Angle piece,Smoke and Heat control
    Sub Grate Between Burners and Main Grill.
    No Flare Square Ceramic Tiles
    Kiln Shelving dividers
    17"x23" pizza stone

Quote Originally Posted by SmokyOkie View Post
    Yeah, you don't really want the stack extension to lay across the grate like that. Just cut it off right above the cooking grate. All you are trying to accomplish is to keep the heat flow from crossing the cooking grate.
    Can you go into more details? Why the stac needs to be near the grate? Why are SO many custom builds and stor bought offsets not done inthis fashion from their initial build? On another note, I need to improve my door seal a bit. Any product suggestion based on what you know about my smoker?
    Based conversations with you and Cabinetmaker, I am considering a few mods to my BellFab. Thanks
    BellFab custom offset, Hasty Bake Legacy 131, Ozark Oak Lump and local native hardwoods.

Quote Originally Posted by jwbtulsa View Post
    Can you go into more details? Why the stac needs to be near the grate? Why are SO many custom builds and stor bought offsets not done inthis fashion from their initial build? On another note, I need to improve my door seal a bit. Any product suggestion based on what you know about my smoker?
    Based conversations with you and Cabinetmaker, I am considering a few mods to my BellFab. Thanks

Why the stac needs to be near the grate?

On entry level pits they are manufactured as cheap as possible. By dropping the stack down to grate level forces the heat and smoke to the bottom of the smoker before it can be evacuated thereby retaining the heat more effectively at grate level where the meat is located. On a custom built pit the stack location is engineered properly according to thermo dynamics using the pit calculator.

I need to improve my door seal a bit. Any product suggestion based on what you know about my smoker?
    If your doors are not sealing tight I would call the MFG and make them fix the issue to me that is a MFG defect.
    To correct the issue yourself you can use High temp RTV gasket sealer( the Red Stuff) clean the area around the door to remove all grease. and lay down a bead, put plastic wrap on top of the rtv and close the door allow to cure 24 hrs.Open door peal off the plastic wrap the door will have a tight seal.
    Be kind to me, it's not my fault I'm a "PORK-A-HOLIC"!!
    MY Blog:Http://acountryboyeats.blogspot.com
    Chargriller Smokin' Pro/SFB
    Webber 22.5"
    Memorial UDS Big Jim

You can buy black high temp RTV at wood stove stores if you don't like the red.

Thanks BluDawg. You confirmed what i assumed but like to hear from the more experienced folk just in csae I got stupid all of the sudden. Knowing what I know now, I would have ask Craig to modify his design for me. After all, he was willing to build anything I asked for. Of course, the good news is that given my present experience I can now try to talk my wife into buying another type of smoker! Ha Ha! yeah, right....
    Smoething like, "but honey, I am only doing it so I can provide for my family" hee hee hee....
    BellFab custom offset, Hasty Bake Legacy 131, Ozark Oak Lump and local native hardwoods.

You should come look at my Backwoods after using that stickburner for a while.

I just amazes me at how times have changed during my life time. I remember My Papaw would go out and buy a new car or a shotgun or a new horse and never "ask permission" and didn't need to. He wore the pants and that's the way it was. Who would have thunk giving them the vote would have resulted in leaving your Cajones at the alter. And folks wonder why I say "I'm happily divorced."
    Be kind to me, it's not my fault I'm a "PORK-A-HOLIC"!!
    MY Blog:Http://acountryboyeats.blogspot.com
    Chargriller Smokin' Pro/SFB
    Webber 22.5"
    Memorial UDS Big Jim

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2