usbbqsupply

» Support TQJ

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Online Users: 23

9 members and 14 guests
Most users ever online was 459, 11-07-2010 at 10:58 PM.

» Stats

Members: 3,109
Threads: 14,363
Top Poster: PigCicles (10,055)
Welcome to our newest member, Mienshao

Default Wet aging brisket?

I am thinking of doing some wet aging to try it before a comp. Buy it a week or 2 before and let it set in a cold dark fridge without disturbing it, I read it helps a lot with tenderness.

Just curious does anyone on here do this technique and help lead me in the right direction? Looking to reduce our 16 hour cook of the full packer for comps.

Thanks
    Justin?

P.S photo of brisket turn in from last comp.

Looks ok placed 23rd if I remember.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

When I wet age I turn it over in the morning and after dinner this will keep the moisture moving through the meat distributing the enzymes that break down the muscle fibers.
    If you want to shorten your cooking time cook it Hot & Fast 275 until it reaches 160 wrap it and run the pit up to 350 when it hits 190 unwrap it and put it back on for about 30 min to firm up the bark. wrap it loose in foil and let it rest fro 2 hrs before prepping your box.
    Be kind to me, it's not my fault I'm a "PORK-A-HOLIC"!!
    MY Blog:Http://acountryboyeats.blogspot.com
    Chargriller Smokin' Pro/SFB
    Webber 22.5"
    Memorial UDS Big Jim

I ALWAS wet age all my subprimals unless I dry age, and you don't want to dry age comp meat.

Some of the comp beef I buy is pre aged so I don't.

First, you need to know the kill date, otherwise you won't know how long to age it. the meat guy should be able to pull the date off the case. Generally, if they have several cases on display they will be from the same run and probably all the same kill date, but that isn't always the case.

The aging part is simple, just put it toward the back of the bottom shelf of the fridge and let it sit for 30 days. Freezing it after aging will improve the texture even more. If you are going to freeze it always age first as freezing kills the beneficial bacteria.

Thanks for the information everyones input I am wet aging a brisket now for comp next weekend in Girard Kansas. I will post photos of the turn in.

Thanks for the tips on how to cook that brisket and firm it up.

So I have been doing some wet aging of briskets and I am 2 for 3 in success. I had 1 go south on me and that one was my fault which I learned a valuable lesson. The SMELL of a brisket that was aged TOO long.

Thanks everyone for the help and information on this. It has really helped us as a team improve our brisket greatly.

Thanks
    Justin

Now if that backwoods would get here a little quicker...haha

How did it go south on you? Did it get too warm? You should be able to age them as long as 60 days and more and still be good.

How do you know it was bad? Was it just the smell? I have had briskets that were not spoiled that smelled so bad there was no sense in cooking them.

The smell was not good. The temp was good but the smell was making it not worth cooking even after repeated rinses and letting it air out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD