Threads: 14,363
Top Poster: PigCicles (10,055)
Welcome to our newest member, Mienshao
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Skeeter Pee

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke'n Hebrew View Post
    "Periodically check the gravity."

"Test S.G with hydrometer and record"

"Add 1/2 tsp Kmeta, 2 1/2 tsp sorbate, and Sparkolliod (follow directions on the package)"

WTF are you kidding? I don't even know what this stuff is.

I really did laugh out loud.
    Why in the hell should I have to "Press 1 for English?"

Why not just pour some vodka in some lemonade?
    Master Cabinetmaker,KCBS Certified Judge,Student of the smoking arts,All around gear head
    Ugly drum smoker,Chargriller,Custom Backwoods Chubby,Bellfab backyard model

"I love what mine cause, whats mine is all mine. Gives me a reason to go get more"- John Popper, Blues Traveler.

Default Just give it a try. You'll be glad you did.

Ok, so I have readthat some of you have no idea what some of the things in this recipe are. SorryI was going on the assumption that there were some brewers in here as homebrewing is quite popular in the BBQ crowd, BYBBQ seems to be a home brewer.

This recipe wasobviously written for those who have experience in wine making and brewing andthe jargon can be somewhat confusing so I'll try to simplify it here for you.This really is so simple and to answer the question "Why don't I just poursome vodka into some lemonade?" Well...... for the same reasons that wedon't take a Boston Butt and just drop it in a pressure cooker, It's just plainbetter this way.

The simplest way isto just get all that you need at your local brewing supply. Everything in theingredient list is pretty cheap and you'll have enough to make many batches.Take the recipe along with you to the brewers supply, they will be happy tohelp you. Don't over think it right now, you'll understand it better after yourfirst batch. What it really all comes down to is this...... Lemon Juice, water,sugar, yeast- ferment.

Brewing and winemaking is a bit addictive, like BBQ. Once you have your first success you'll behooked. Drinking and sharing something that YOU made is so satisfying you'llwant to do it often.

Read my notes inthe recipe, they are in red. I will help as best I can, just ask.

Cheers.

Fora 5 gallon batch

3 bottles of 32 oz100% lemon juice (e.g ReaLemon in the green plastic bottles or equivalent)

7 lbs sugar (or 16cups) to ferment

3/4 tsp tannin

6 tsp. yeastnutrient (3 now, 3 later)

2 tsp. yeastenergizer (1 now, 1 later)

Approx, 4 1/2gallons water

Yeast Slurry

Potassiummetabisulfite (Kmeta)

Potassium sorbate(sorbate)

Sparkolloid

2 1/3 lbs sugar (or6 cups) to sweeten finished Skeeter Pee. Use more or less for your tastes.

——————————-

Many people havedifficulty getting lemonade to ferment. This is due, I believe, to severalfactors. The high acidity, the lack of natural nutrients, and preservativesthat are often included in the lemon juice. Therefore, I do whatever I can toassist the process.

I use reverseosmosis water;(any water is fine here) this is by choiceand tap water should work fine since much of the chlorine should evaporate outduring the initial steps. Make invert(=melt) sugar by adding your 16 cups sugar to a large stainless cookingpot along with 8 cups water and 1/3 cup lemon juice (I keep lemon juice in thefridge for cooking, so I use that. Therefore, I actually have 1/3 more lemonjuice than is stated in the ingredients above. If you don’t have the additionallemon juice, go ahead and use 1/3 cup from one of your three bottles; it won’tmatter much). Stir sugar to dissolve and heat to just below boiling whilestirring. Hold at this temperature for about 30 minutes. Allow to cool slightlyand pour it into your primary along with 2 of the bottles of the lemon juice(reserve the last bottle until later), and enough additional water to make 51/2 gallons. Add the tannin, 3 tsp. of the yeast nutrient and 1 tsp. of theyeast energizer. Stir.(If you wish to do someresearch here you can find out exactly what these things do, But for the firsttimer, I would suggest that you simply get the ingredients, follow the recipeand save yourself the confusion)

Test S.G withhydrometer (A hydrometer is asimple and inexpensive tool that is used for measuring S.G. or Specific Gravityand gives you an idea how much alcohol is in the batch)and record. I shootfor an SG of around 1.070 which yields a beverage of around 10% alcohol if itferments dry. If your SG is a little low, you can add granular sugar to bringit to the target level. Make sure you stir thoroughly to dissolve the sugar; ifyou have undissolved sugar at the bottom, it will throw off your readings andyour Skeeter Pee won’t turn out properly. Vigorously beat the mixture with awire whip for a couple of minutes to introduce oxygen and purge it ofartificial preservatives. I then cover the bucket with a dish towel and let thesit for 24 to 48 hours.

After 24-48 hours,give it another quick whip and then pour in yeast slurry (A yeast slurry is not necessary. Whenyou go to the brewers supply you will get the yeast you need. I like achampagne yeast. Simply sprinkle the yeast on and whip it with a wire whisk) from the firstrack of another batch of wine. It sometimes takes a while, but you should haveactive fermentation within a couple of days. It helps to keep this must warm(70-78 degrees). You may need to occasionally whip in some additional oxygenwith the whip if fermentation seems to be progressing slowly.

Periodically checkthe gravity. When it gets down to around 1.050, add the other 3 tsp of nutrientthe second tsp of energizer, and the last bottle of lemon juice; vigorously mixit in. Don’t be afraid to introduce some oxygen to the mix at the same time.This late addition of yeast food and oxygen helps reduce the likelihood of yourbatch developing a sulfur-dioxide problem. (Because of the high acidity and lownutrition, lemon has a higher propensity to developing the sulfur-dioxiderotten egg smell.) After a couple of days, you can rack (Racking is simply transferring intoanother vessel) into a clean, sanitized carboy.

Allow the Pee toferment dry (Ferment dry is a termthat simply put means to allow the yeast to consume all sugars )and forfermentation to stop (SG between 0.998 and 0.995). Rack into a clean, sanitizedcarboy. Give the batch a quick degas (use agitation and vacuum if you have theequipment). Add 1/2 tsp Kmeta, 2 1/2 tsp sorbate, and Sparkolliod (followdirections on the package). After two weeks, the Skeeter Pee should be crystalclear. Rack into a clean, sanitized carboy, add 6 cups sugar, and stir todissolve. Wait two weeks to be sure no new fermentation begins and bottle.

There’s no need to age this beverage. It tastes great soon after bottling. Serve chilled.

[If you don't havea slurry to start your batch, please see the F.A.Q. tab for recommendedprocedures.]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2