usbbqsupply

» Support TQJ

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Online Users: 116

5 members and 111 guests
Most users ever online was 2,553, 02-17-2020 at 12:48 PM.

» Stats

Members: 3,108
Threads: 14,364
Top Poster: PigCicles (10,055)
Welcome to our newest member, Mienshao
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default New grill/smoker idea I am toying with

I am wanting to start a new grill/smoker project and am considering using this design. It will be a 30g horizontal steel drum with a 10g removable top UDS type offset firebox with 2-3 3/4" ball valves and a charcoal basket. Everything i keep reading suggests that a UDS retains a constant even temperature than a basic offset firebox soooo I am thinking of utilizing the UDS advantages and putting them to use in the firebox itself. Here is a picture of what I came up with. I will be using stove pipe to connect the firebox and I have not decided on a set of stands yet. Any input would be greatly appreciated, any RESPECTFUL negative input is also appreciated

Due to the thickness of the metal and design involved I don't think you will see the result you are seeking. A UDS works well because it is direct heat convecting up in a small space. Using a duct as shown in your picture you will have a big cold smoker.
    A better design would be to place the fire box under the meat locker. cutting a large opening in the bottom and attaching the fire box directly to it and use a diverter plate over the opening to even out your temps with the exhaust located in the center.
    Be kind to me, it's not my fault I'm a "PORK-A-HOLIC"!!
    MY Blog:Http://acountryboyeats.blogspot.com
    Chargriller Smokin' Pro/SFB
    Webber 22.5"
    Memorial UDS Big Jim

How about this?

UDS Mini UDS Weber Performer Weber 18.5 OTG Smokey Joe Smokey Joe WSM mod Weber-Q 1200

Quote Originally Posted by Bubblehead View Post

How about this?

Thanks for putting up that pic it is exactly what I was trying to describe.
    Be kind to me, it's not my fault I'm a "PORK-A-HOLIC"!!
    MY Blog:Http://acountryboyeats.blogspot.com
    Chargriller Smokin' Pro/SFB
    Webber 22.5"
    Memorial UDS Big Jim

I have ALWAYS LOVED that smoker but my issues with that are I do not weld and wouldnt you lose alot of the efficiency because of the firebox door?

I absolutely love this smoker also but everything I keep reading suggests that having a fire barrel is not efficient, eats fuel like crazy and you always have to be on top of the air inlets to keep the temperature regulated.

Just remember that once you transfer the heat to a horizontal cooking area you have to heat up that area and it basically becomes a heat sink. That in itself will greatly increase the fuel consumption without some kind of insulation. Add to that the door and any leaks that will go along with that and you won't have the efficiency of the vertical drum style.

I would say go ahead and set it up as a project and see what happens. There may be some tweaks that can help it be more efficient when it's complete.
    Plank Owner ..................
    I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian!

to Teh Joint SFY! If you get a chance, please stop byt he C'mon in and sit Down" forum and give yourself a proper intro.

OK, here's the deal, these drum smokers work as well as they do because the function on low ox combustion, basically an oxygen starved fire. when oyu start trying to heat another drum's worth of air, you will no longer be able to use that type of fire.

While I admire your ingenuity, my thought would be that if you want a UDS, build a UDS, if you want an offset, build an offset.

Thats part of my problem (well not really a problem) I already built a UDS which works pretty durn good UNTIL I need/want to grill something as I never have enough cooking area. I will defintly be building a new UDS as I got the barrel I have now used, full of holes and could use a few tweaks. I just wanted to buld me something I could do everything on but as it now looks, I may just have to throw down on 2 projects

Quote Originally Posted by SmokyOkie View Post
    to Teh Joint SFY! If you get a chance, please stop byt he C'mon in and sit Down" forum and give yourself a proper intro.

OK, here's the deal, these drum smokers work as well as they do because the function on low ox combustion, basically an oxygen starved fire. when oyu start trying to heat another drum's worth of air, you will no longer be able to use that type of fire.

While I admire your ingenuity, my thought would be that if you want a UDS, build a UDS, if you want an offset, build an offset.

I decided a long time ago to have a grill for grilling and a smoker for smoking. I have never regretted my decision.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokyOkie View Post
    I decided a long time ago to have a grill for grilling and a smoker for smoking. I have never regretted my decision.
    Jim

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast