usbbqsupply

» Support TQJ

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Online Users: 21

6 members and 15 guests
Most users ever online was 459, 11-07-2010 at 10:58 PM.

» Stats

Members: 3,109
Threads: 14,363
Top Poster: PigCicles (10,055)
Welcome to our newest member, Mienshao
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Maverick ET-732 Review

I recently purchased the Maverick ET-732 Dual Probe Digital BBQ Thermometer from US BBQ Supply. The retail price was 59.95 with free shipping. I've gotten to know this gadget over the course of a couple of cooks. I now feel qualified to give it a complete review.

This thermo consists of a remote transmitter, remote receiver, two wired probes (one has a grill grate clip), a clip-on stand for each unit.

Transmitter (L), receiver (R).

This probe gets inserted into the meat. This is to monitor internal temp of your food.

This blunt probe has a clip to attach to your grill/gate. No need for a tater or block of wood anymore. This one monitors your pit temp at the food level. Each connect to clearly marked ports on the transmitter. 1, FOOD, 2,BARBEQUE.

This is the transmitter. Notice that it displays only one temp at a time. Look closely, you'll see the "1". Remember above, 1 is for food.

See the "2"? this is your pit temp.

The transmitter comes with this clip on deal...

...that forms a stand for shelf or table top placement. It can be rotated 180 degrees...

...now it's a hanger if you don't have a shelf handy.

Now let's look at the remote receiver.

Note the numbers on the screen. Top numbers are for 1 FOOD. The left number is your target temp. The right displays current temp.

Bottom numbers are for 2 BARBECUE. Again, left is target, right is current. Now the interesting thing here is that you can program a high and a low temp to establish a range you want to cook at. Say a low of 225 and a high of 275. You can be alerted by a beeping sound when your pit temp gets too cool or too hot. I forgot to get a shot showing the high, but in this one you can see the "LO" icon.

Also you can see the little radar antenna icon that flashes indicating that the two units have an established connection.

Last thing I want to point out on the screen is this icon: ((.)). It appears above the displayed target temps. Notice it matches the button on the lower right. This indicates that this button has been pressed to activate the HI/LO alarms. If you forget to do this you will not be alerted when your pt temp goes out of your selected range.

Other buttons are for setting temps etc. The MODE button also turns on the screen light for easy viewing in low light conditions.

The receiver also gets a clip on stand.

It folds flat when you don't need it.

The instructions were pretty simple and straight forward. I had it up and running in no time. Put in the included AAA batteries, install probes, turn on, and synch with the C/F button on the back of the transmitter. Voila!

It took a little practice to set the HI/LO pit temps. You have to press and hold the corresponding buttons til you get the temp you want then press MODE to set. Then press ((.)) C/F, START/Stop button to set the alarm.

Well how did it work? Very well I'd say. The claimed range of 300 feet is at least that much, maybe more. My lot is 200 feet deep, and it worked everywhere in my yard and all through the house. I even took it with me in the car and drove down the street to see when it would lose signal. This was inconclusive. The temps were still displayed half a mile from home, but they probly just stuck there. I had to watch the road so I couldn't look for that tiny flashing antenna icon.

Anyway, 300 feet is way more than I need, so I'm totally satisfied in that regard.

The only problem I had turned out to be my own fault. I was interested to see how well the HI/LO alarm worked. So I deliberately let the pit temp get too high. The receiver remained silent 10 degrees past my selected high. What?? How come??Started randomly pushin' buttons. Why, I don't know. One was the ((.)) an then the icons showed up on the screen. Oops! My bad! I forgot to turn on the alarm. Selecting your high and low does NOT give you an alarm. You have to turn that on. And turning it on after you go out of range will not result in an alarm. But it will be ready for the next time.

Overall I give the Mav 732 high marks, and would recommend to anyone wanting a remote thermo. The dual probe thing is great. I love it. No it doesn't talk to you like the Oregon Scientific, but it gets the job done at a reasonable price.
    Last edited by SmokyOkie; 04-15-2012 at 09:36 PM.
    "Once I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
    Tom, smoker of meats and fine cigars
    UDS, Vicking grill

... sooo 1 is for food?

I like the Maverick 732 ... it does a great job and is way improved from the "original" Mavericks.

Thanks for the review Tom ... spot on.

Ohhh and 2 is for Barbeque?? I want 2 (sorry .. had to do it)
    Plank Owner ..................
    I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian!

This is an exceptionally well done review. It obviously took a lot of time. I think admin ought to sticky it.

The folks at maverick have pretty well fixed everything that was wrong with the ET-73 if you ask me.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokyOkie View Post
    This is an exceptionally well done review. It obviously took a lot of time. I think admin ought to sticky it.

The folks at maverick have pretty well fixed everything that was wrong with the ET-73 if you ask me.
    Never used the ET-73 so I don't have first hand knowledge of the problems, but I read a lot about it here. Yep, seems to be fixed!
    UDS, Vicking grill

Great review. I have used a couple of standard probe therms (Taylor, Oneida) and also have a ET-73 single probe Maverick. I used the ET-73 mostly to monitor pit temps with the others for food temps.

The probes one the Taylor & Oneida went bad, so I ordered a ET 732. I've only used it a few times & I love it. The 73 will not pick up a signal inside my house. The 732 holds signal throughout the house. Really like the hi-lo alarms on the 732 as well. The 73 only has a high temp alarm.

Thanks, South GA. I have a $16 POS single probe, not programmable from WalMart. Claimed range; 100 ft. That would be enough for me...IF it were true! Actual range; less than 20 ft! Sucks! I suspect it is one of the earlier Mavericks.

I highly recommend the ET-732.
    UDS, Vicking grill

The ET-73 was supposed to have an internal antenna. When the came in from China, they didn't. That is why the poor distance.

Completely agree. As a fairly new stick burner owner, I come rely rely on my Maverick. It has proven more than once that I am not as attentive to my progress as I should be. As a result, I have saved a few good cuts of meat by the alarm. Well worth it in my opinion.
    BellFab custom offset, Hasty Bake Legacy 131, Ozark Oak Lump and local native hardwoods.

Put a Guru on that Bellfab and it will make a TON of difference.

....Or, you could buy a Backwoods.

Gee.... I wonder where I could get some of those things?? Hmmm.....

Still learning
    BellFab custom offset, Hasty Bake Legacy 131, Ozark Oak Lump and local native hardwoods.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast