» Support TQJ

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Online Users: 35

0 members and 35 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 2,553, 02-17-2020 at 12:48 PM.

» Stats

Members: 969
Threads: 14,365
Top Poster: PigCicles (10,055)
Welcome to our newest member, SmokyOkie
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Lump or charcoal?

I have just built my first drum smoker and was wondering lump or charcoal? I've tried lump and it seems to spike in temp. More than charcoal. What do y'all think.

Briquettes are made with coal, driveway dust, binders and fillers. Nasty taste.

Lump is pure hardwood.
    Master Cabinetmaker,KCBS Certified Judge,Student of the smoking arts,All around gear head
    Ugly drum smoker,Chargriller,Custom Backwoods Chubby,Bellfab backyard model

"I love what mine cause, whats mine is all mine. Gives me a reason to go get more"- John Popper, Blues Traveler.

Jarhead is offline Can tell pulled pork from sliced brisket Jarhead will become famous soon enough

Welcome aboard Cliff.
    I like lump on drum (bullet) smokers. Use the Minion Method and once you hit 180 or so, start closing vents and slowly let it come to desired temp.
    Briquettes produce to much ash for an extended cook. They choke themselves out.
    Gunny - Debbie's Q Shack, KCBS CBJ
    FEC-100, 40" MFES, 22.5" & 18.5" WSM, 26-3/4" OTG

Quote Originally Posted by Jarhead View Post
    Welcome aboard Cliff.
    I like lump on drum (bullet) smokers. Use the Minion Method and once you hit 180 or so, start closing vents and slowly let it come to desired temp.
    Briquettes produce to much ash for an extended cook. They choke themselves out.
    What is the minion method?

Jarhead is offline Can tell pulled pork from sliced brisket Jarhead will become famous soon enough

It's easier just to give you the link to it.
    It's over on the Weber Site.

Minion Method
    Gunny - Debbie's Q Shack, KCBS CBJ
    FEC-100, 40" MFES, 22.5" & 18.5" WSM, 26-3/4" OTG

Quote Originally Posted by Jarhead View Post
    It's easier just to give you the link to it.
    It's over on the Weber Site.

Minion Method

thanks!

SmokyOkie Guest

Lump is charcoal before they turn it into briquettes. I order to make briquettes, they grind it up and then add the things that Cabinetmaker listed, among others.

Most of what they add to briquettes does absolutely nothing to enhance flavors or increase fuel capacity.

By my experience, good lump has about 30-40% more btus than briquettes.

If you buy lump, stay away from the imported stuff and try to stay with good Ozarl hardwood charcoal if possible.

As to spiking, lump will burn hotter than briquettes, because it is pure charcoal w/o fillers. all you have to do to control it is to choke down the air intake.

Default lump

I would recommend using a quality lump charcoal. It burns much cleaner and will even produce a little clean smoke. I always break up any large chunks into uniform pieces. I think this helps prevent the spikes in temp.
    When using the minion method make sure not to start with too many lit coals, as it is much harder to bring the temp down than to bring it up. Just my 2cents

swamprb is offline Can tell pulled pork from sliced brisket swamprb is an unknown quantity at this point

I prefer lump for short cooks like chicken or ribs in my small charcoal rings.

For long cooks with heavy meats I'll use briqs because they burn more efficient. I have been known to mix lump and briqs on occasion (bottom of the bag mod) but tend to stay away from straight lump if I'm doing unattended cooks. I have a long handled hook to shake the charcoal basket with (remove the cook grate with meat when you do this) to shake some of the ash buildup and keep the lump from burning itself out. It works fine, and if you try it you may like it, I'm just lazy.

SmokyOkie Guest

Let's see the that long handled hook. I have three or 4 of them and they are my favorite BBQ tool.

As to briquettes, I will absolutely not use cheap briquettes. I don't care to flavor my food with coal.

If I were to use briquettes, I might consider Wicked good, Humphreys, opr Kingsford competition, but then, My lump does everything I ask it to do and it does it well with good aroma and flavor, so I really just don't see any reason to use briquettes.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast