usbbqsupply

» Support TQJ

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Online Users: 97

2 members and 95 guests
Most users ever online was 2,553, 02-17-2020 at 12:48 PM.

» Stats

Members: 3,108
Threads: 14,364
Top Poster: PigCicles (10,055)
Welcome to our newest member, Mienshao
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

....And i don't even have and Egg.

If I'm going to break down for a BGE style cooker, I want it to be ceramic. Jim said it is an isulated steel cooker. i would be a little leary of it holding up at high temp use for very long.

Boiled down - I'd have to see it in person and I expect to be very critical because I don't want to buy something that is going to burn through in a few years... just me maybe.
    Plank Owner ..................
    I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian!

Quote Originally Posted by PigCicles View Post
    If I'm going to break down for a BGE style cooker, I want it to be ceramic. Jim said it is an isulated steel cooker. i would be a little leary of it holding up at high temp use for very long.

Boiled down - I'd have to see it in person and I expect to be very critical because I don't want to buy something that is going to burn through in a few years... just me maybe.
    I had the same reservations about the Keg I received as a gift from my wife. I have been cooking on it for over 2 yrs. now and haven't had any large complaints. They definitely have a learning curve, as most cookers do.

I might not be the best person to judge the over-all experience of cooking on an insulated steel cooker because I have never used my Keg for low & slow cooking, that's what I have drums and a Spicewine for, and if you look at my posts it does a great job of grilling at high temps(I love making grill marks on food).
    That being said, I haven't cooked on a Char-Griller Kamado Kooker Charcoal Grill.

Are they built as good as a Keg? They do seem to be lighter built, even the cast-iron grates are thinner, but time will tell. They are a new item to the market.

Are they as good overall as a BGE ? I doubt it and they will never have the accessories that the BGE's have.

But will they be a good cooker for the money ( 1/4 the price of the same size BGE and 1/3 the price of a Keg ). I think that to many people they will be a good affordable alternative ( because of price ) to the BGE, Primo, or a Keg.

JMHO-YMMV
    Last edited by BYBBQ; 03-01-2012 at 10:00 AM.
    Jim

I'm with you Jim on all counts.

Not everybody can shell out that much$ all at once.

At that price, if you did burn one out everyfew years, it would take a while to break even vs. a Primo or BGE.

I think the real question is how well they cook, and I can pretty well guarantee that if you cook hot and often, you would be replacing grates once a year or so.

Well said Jim. I need to see if I can find one in person to look it over. I might be an easier sale if I was actually in the market for that style of cooker.
    Plank Owner ..................
    I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian!

Soooooo...do we all chip in and buy one and have whoever went to the trouble to buy it review it? It's $20 worth of curiosity to me.

Never owned or cooked on any sort of similar cooker. I would sort of lean toward The Keg if I was to buy one. Metal seems like a good idea vs. breakable ceramic.

But as Tim said, it's all about how well it cooks. It's no doubt lesser quality than Ceramic Eggs or the Keg, but still not bad for the price. It looks to be worth it to me. But as I said, I have no experience with egg type cookers.
    "Once I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
    Tom, smoker of meats and fine cigars
    UDS, Vicking grill

I say just build mini Smokey Joe Smoker. LOL

Cheap to build, cheap to cook on, cooks a surprising amount of food and energy effiecient. While not insulated I have had no problems cooking in 40* temps

Sent from my SPH-M820-BST using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bamsbbq View Post
    I say just build mini Smokey Joe Smoker. LOL

Cheap to build, cheap to cook on, cooks a surprising amount of food and energy effiecient. While not insulated I have had no problems cooking in 40* temps

Maybe so, but the Egg will cook in -4

Ya it is a great cooker. I am a cheap sob and honestly couldn't afford an egg or anything similar

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast