Backwoodsok

» Support TQJ

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Online Users: 47

5 members and 42 guests
Most users ever online was 459, 11-07-2010 at 10:58 PM.

» Stats

Members: 3,109
Threads: 14,363
Top Poster: PigCicles (10,055)
Welcome to our newest member, Mienshao
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Smokey Joe Smoker Mini WSM - Build..pic heavy

I am always on the road and i miss Q'ing. I bought this little Smokey Joe for $8 well $10 actually because he delivered it. I now can grill high heat or cook some Q low and slow.Total costs as follows.

$10 - Smokey Joe
    $18 - Tamale Pot (32 quart from Target, made in china)
    $5 - deep fryer thermometer(walmart)
    $1 - painters tape
    $3 - terracota plate(10")
    $8 - replacement grill for smokey joe

$6 - high heat engine enamel
    $2 - misc nuts & bolts
    ------------
    $53 total i went over my budget of $50 by $3..not bad at all...

Instructions:

Smokey Joe

The Pot
    (make sure you get the one made in china)

cut hole in bottom of tamale pot with a jig saw, snips or what you have on hand. Cut it about 1 1/2 - 2 inches from the bottom edge of the pot

i used these to do the job.

Rough cut but you can file the edges to clean it up

Next drill some holes in the side of the pot for grill supports.. i measured 2 inches down and 3 inches across from the handles. A total of 4 holes.

If you desire another rack you can eyeball where to drill the next set of holes. For me, i do not need another set as of yet, i am using the natural lip in the bottom of the pan as a second rack.

If you want to paint the outside, you can tape the handles if you wish.

Terracotta Dish and Turkey Deep Fryer
    -since this original posting on my blog, i have since eliminated the turkey fryer and have installed two thermometers, just below rack level.

Wrap the plate with heavy duty aluminum foil for easy clean up and place as shown.

The plate is used as a heat sync & smoke diffuser.
    Place it directly on the original grill if you do not wish to make a support of sorts.

I will be using the original steamer plate from the tamale pot. i think it will make a good ABT rack, if it doesnt work out i will move things around until it works.
    -EDIT, i now use both another rack and the steamer plate, depending on what i am cooking.

these next pictures are not mine because of all the pictures i took, these werent included.lol

You can make a charcoal ring for longer cooks out of expanded steel, i havent made one yet.Not my picture but you get the idea.You could probably use a piece of 10" black stove pipe cut down to approx 3-4 inches in height. Drill some holes in the side of it for air ciruculation. If you want to eliminate the bottom grill and save yourself some money, you can run a couple of pieces of steel rod or angle iron across the bottom to put the tarracotta on directly.

To keep ash from choking out your airflow, a can 2" tall and about 4" wide. course one end is cut off. i then cut a bunch of holes near the uncut end which now becomes the top. place this over the vent and it works great. the coal grate will actually hold the can in place. Like this:

The whole project took less than an hour to make.
    some different stuff i did to mine.

the round that was leftover from cutting the bottom out, i wrapped it up and place my tarracotta plate on top of that for the heat defusers

i also cut out the bottom as shown so that i could permanently put in place a cooking grate for the tarracotta to sit on.

Cool! Thanks for sharing.
    "Once I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
    Tom, smoker of meats and fine cigars
    UDS, Vicking grill

Very cool little smoker, I may have to put one together soon!
    UDS Mini UDS Weber Performer Weber 18.5 OTG Smokey Joe Smokey Joe WSM mod Weber-Q 1200

Quote Originally Posted by Bubblehead View Post
    Very cool little smoker, I may have to put one together soon!
    So easy to put together. So quick to do. Without paint you can have this thing up and cooking in less than two hours.

Another mod I am going to do is put a long bolt drilled into the bottom vent lip. Makes it easier to control the vent. I use to love my uds but this one has quickly become my favorite to cook on.

Cooking,vaping - its all about the smell and the taste!!

Quote Originally Posted by bamsbbq View Post

I am always on the road and i miss Q'ing. I bought this little Smokey Joe for $8 well $10 actually because he delivered it. I now can grill high heat or cook some Q low and slow.Total costs as follows.

$10 - Smokey Joe
    $18 - Tamale Pot (32 quart from Target, made in china)
    $5 - deep fryer thermometer(walmart)
    $1 - painters tape
    $3 - terracota plate(10")
    $8 - replacement grill for smokey joe

$6 - high heat engine enamel
    $2 - misc nuts & bolts
    ------------
    $53 total i went over my budget of $50 by $3..not bad at all...

Instructions:

Smokey Joe

The Pot
    (make sure you get the one made in china)

cut hole in bottom of tamale pot with a jig saw, snips or what you have on hand. Cut it about 1 1/2 - 2 inches from the bottom edge of the pot

i used these to do the job.

Rough cut but you can file the edges to clean it up

Next drill some holes in the side of the pot for grill supports.. i measured 2 inches down and 3 inches across from the handles. A total of 4 holes.

If you desire another rack you can eyeball where to drill the next set of holes. For me, i do not need another set as of yet, i am using the natural lip in the bottom of the pan as a second rack.

If you want to paint the outside, you can tape the handles if you wish.

Terracotta Dish and Turkey Deep Fryer
    -since this original posting on my blog, i have since eliminated the turkey fryer and have installed two thermometers, just below rack level.

Wrap the plate with heavy duty aluminum foil for easy clean up and place as shown.

The plate is used as a heat sync & smoke diffuser.
    Place it directly on the original grill if you do not wish to make a support of sorts.

I will be using the original steamer plate from the tamale pot. i think it will make a good ABT rack, if it doesnt work out i will move things around until it works.
    -EDIT, i now use both another rack and the steamer plate, depending on what i am cooking.

these next pictures are not mine because of all the pictures i took, these werent included.lol

You can make a charcoal ring for longer cooks out of expanded steel, i havent made one yet.Not my picture but you get the idea.You could probably use a piece of 10" black stove pipe cut down to approx 3-4 inches in height. Drill some holes in the side of it for air ciruculation. If you want to eliminate the bottom grill and save yourself some money, you can run a couple of pieces of steel rod or angle iron across the bottom to put the tarracotta on directly.

To keep ash from choking out your airflow, a can 2" tall and about 4" wide. course one end is cut off. i then cut a bunch of holes near the uncut end which now becomes the top. place this over the vent and it works great. the coal grate will actually hold the can in place. Like this:

The whole project took less than an hour to make.
    some different stuff i did to mine.

the round that was leftover from cutting the bottom out, i wrapped it up and place my tarracotta plate on top of that for the heat defusers

i also cut out the bottom as shown so that i could permanently put in place a cooking grate for the tarracotta to sit on.

BTW, why the tamale pot made in China?
    "Once I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
    Tom, smoker of meats and fine cigars
    UDS, Vicking grill

there are two countries that make these pots.

china fits perfectly into the smokey joe

and i believe the other is Malasia(sp) or some other country, it is a touch too big and doesnt fit into the lip of the SJ properly

Where did the plate at the bottom with all of the holes come from? What is it for? One pic you hve it in there, the next you have a grill. I must be slow. I don't follow.
    Char-Broil Silver Offset Smoker (Modified)
    Weber Performer
    Future UDS W/ Weber Lid

Quote Originally Posted by Pappy View Post
    Where did the plate at the bottom with all of the holes come from? What is it for? One pic you hve it in there, the next you have a grill. I must be slow. I don't follow.
    The plate with holes comes with the tamale pot. That's what you put the tamales on to.steam/cook.

I just used that plate for an extra rack. Sometimes I use the one with the holes in it depending what I am cooking(abt's meatballs,Scottish eggs wrapped in sausage and Bacon etc)

Very cool build Bams! I like to see these kinds of projects. Thanks for sharing it through the pics too!
    Plank Owner ..................
    I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian!

Quote Originally Posted by PigCicles View Post
    Very cool build Bams! I like to see these kinds of projects. Thanks for sharing it through the pics too!
    I like doing them. I like to include step by step.instructions when I cook as well.

Your name looks familiar. I use to be on the big board,smf, and a few others.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast