Backwoodsok

» Support TQJ

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Online Users: 34

12 members and 22 guests
Most users ever online was 459, 11-07-2010 at 10:58 PM.

» Stats

Members: 3,109
Threads: 14,363
Top Poster: PigCicles (10,055)
Welcome to our newest member, Mienshao
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

When I was there I watched it go from the steam table to my bun to me. Clearly held in liquid at that time. No microwave.

If the cooked and sliced it properly, nuking in portion control bags is a great way to go. I hope that is what they have gone to.

I really think Joe could set up that line to allow sliced to order which would obviously be the best option.

Based on the two times I was there, I'd say Billy Sims does a better job with brisket most of the time.

I set up the operation in a large bbq restaurant last year. I am familiar with the challenges of brisket.

Joe is playing in the big league, he needs to step up his game...
    Big Black Klose
    Big Green Egg
    Hasty Bake Legacy
    Weber Kettle

When i was in the kitchen Sunday, there was plenty of cold sliced brisket laying around, but none in a steamtable and liquid.

What restaurant did you set up?

I gotta disagree with you on the Billy Simms opinion. I have eaten at two of them and will not go back to either one.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokyOkie View Post
    When i was in the kitchen Sunday, there was plenty of cold sliced brisket laying around, but none in a steamtable and liquid.

What restaurant did you set up?

I gotta disagree with you on the Billy Simms opinion. I have eaten at two of them and will not go back to either one.
    Cold sliced brisket laying around? The Health Dept would love that. Meats have to be held at 38 or under(cold hold) or 135 or over(hot hold). Frankly, that is a very bad sign as far as the quality of the kitchen staff goes and a poor reflection of Joe as a manager.

When I was there they were holding brisket hot on the line in broth. I know exactly what I saw. It went from a steam pan to my bun and then to me. Bad system.

Properly cooking brisket, then properly slicing, then cooled and placed in portion control bags , then nuking to order is a better system. Hopefully they are moving to this system.

Slicing to order is best and totally doable with the setup at OK Joes.

I was the BBQ Consultant for Back Alley. Unfortunately within 30 days of the end of my contract they had a complete kitchen staff turn over and no one I trained is left...

I also build restaurants(4 last year alone), so I am quite familiar with kitchen layouts and procedures.

I think Joes could be a lot better.

That said, I do want to try the burnt ends...
    Big Black Klose
    Big Green Egg
    Hasty Bake Legacy
    Weber Kettle

Think waht you want Jeff, everybody that was there thought is was one of the best Q joint experiences they have had.

Joe fed us for free and I think it was better than anything I have had in Tulsa, so I have nothing but good to say.

FWIW, the brisket that was sitting cold was "in process" they were selling it as fast as they could pull it up.

No health department problems.

All in all, I guess that we will all lean more toward your opinion when you become "Oklahoma Jeff".

Till then, I think speaking for all of us, we are pretty happy with Oklahoma Joe's way.
    Last edited by SmokyOkie; 02-16-2012 at 10:19 PM.

You guys got free food straight from the kitchen. That's not what regular customers get.

My understanding is that Joe has no interest in the KC joints. They are owned by Jeff and Joy Stenhey. When Joe opened they wished him luck on FB. They did not announce a new location.

I like Joe and want him to succeed. Time will tell.

I am a giving a frank and knowledgeable review. I would have told Joe the same thing had he been there either time.

Processing meat and "cold sliced brisket laying around" are two different things completely. Say what you mean.

Tim, based on the OK Jeff comment you can delete my membership on this forum. I like forums where the owners don't feel the need to insult members who speak their mind, even if the opinion voiced is not popular.

It will be interesting to see if you leave this post unedited for the fanboys to see.
    Big Black Klose
    Big Green Egg
    Hasty Bake Legacy
    Weber Kettle

Whats wrong with using a slicer? I wish I had one. I'd use it on all my meats. Billy Simms? Really? Hands down, worst q Ive ever had. I watched the line form and disapear very quickly. I doubt there was time for any meat sitting on the counter to spoil.
    Master Cabinetmaker,KCBS Certified Judge,Student of the smoking arts,All around gear head
    Ugly drum smoker,Chargriller,Custom Backwoods Chubby,Bellfab backyard model

"I love what mine cause, whats mine is all mine. Gives me a reason to go get more"- John Popper, Blues Traveler.

Hey! Wait a minute. Aren't you that Jeff guy in Sapulpa? Don't you have a bbq forum of your own? Aren't you that guy who banned the Okie from that site cause you didn't like what he said? What are you doing hanging out here with the riff raff?
    Master Cabinetmaker,KCBS Certified Judge,Student of the smoking arts,All around gear head

"I love what mine cause, whats mine is all mine. Gives me a reason to go get more"- John Popper, Blues Traveler.

Quote Originally Posted by cabinetmaker View Post
    Hey! Wait a minute. Aren't you that Jeff guy in Sapulpa? Don't you have a bbq forum of your own? Aren't you that guy who banned the Okie from that site cause you didn't like what he said?
    No.

Tim please delete my membership so I don't get anymore emails from this forum.
    Big Black Klose
    Big Green Egg
    Hasty Bake Legacy
    Weber Kettle

Well then I apologize sir, but I sent no emails.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast