» Support TQJ

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Online Users: 34

0 members and 34 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 2,553, 02-17-2020 at 12:48 PM.

» Stats

Members: 969
Threads: 14,365
Top Poster: PigCicles (10,055)
Welcome to our newest member, SmokyOkie
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    SmokyOkie Guest

Default Did they say Butcher?

Butcher indeed. Any of our expert brisket cooks want to comment on the smokers idea of Juicy?

Good grief! I could only take about 2 minutes of this "jeenyus"! If you made it through all 33+ mins, you've got a larger attention span than I do. (not speaking directly to you, Brother)
    Kev
    GOSM 3405
    UDS - One of a set of twins
    Custom Stick Burner - "Latifah".....(yeah, she's big and beautiful)
    Certified KCBS Judge

Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before.
    -Mae West

It's difficult to judge moisture from a pic or clip, but did you see how much effort he had to exert to cut that thing? It was like it was fighting back...

SmokyOkie Guest

Quote Originally Posted by BA_LoKo View Post
    Good grief! I could only take about 2 minutes of this "jeenyus"! If you made it through all 33+ mins, you've got a larger attention span than I do. (not speaking directly to you, Brother)

I used the fast forward.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesB View Post
    It's difficult to judge moisture from a pic or clip, but did you see how much effort he had to exert to cut that thing? It was like it was fighting back...
    Yeah, there was a kinda off camera pause. You could see something happening, but you couldn't tell what it was.

As for juiciness, you could see what little bit oozed out onto the cutting board. the Okette even laughed that we would call it juicy.

You could also tell by the way he gripped it that it was near the consistency of a roofing tile.

Smokie okie wrote
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JamesB

Yeah, there was a kinda off camera pause. You could see something happening, but you couldn't tell what it was.
    Looked like he knew how dry and tough it was and just before finishing the cut set the knife down and used a brush to baste the blade with something , mayby his pure apple juice ?
    Phil

"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms." --Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, 1787

Favorite tune !!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxiCrcV_R9o

So was that too much fat trimming ? or is that about right ?

If you want , I've never tried a brisket yet
    Phil

"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms." --Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, 1787

Favorite tune !!

Quote Originally Posted by 1894 View Post
    So was that too much fat trimming ? or is that about right ?
    For me, that was *way* too much trimming. But I usually don't trim at all, figuring what doesn't melt away can be removed more easily after the cook.
    Rob - TX Sandman
    Plank Owner, TQJ

That's what I thought sandman , just checking .
    Phil

Favorite tune !!

Now im new to this and even i thought he "butchered the meat. And yeah it was like he was cutting through a piece of Oak..haha!
    Brinkmann Grill/Smoker
    Charbroil Gas Grill
    More to come!

SmokyOkie Guest

Quote Originally Posted by TX Sandman View Post
    For me, that was *way* too much trimming. But I usually don't trim at all, figuring what doesn't melt away can be removed more easily after the cook.

If you cook in a pan, the fat will not keep the rub from getting into the meat, and being as briske isn't really a "barkikng up " cut, there is absolutely no reason to trim at all. Also, the fat helps seal the juices in the pan by floating on top.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast