» Support TQJ

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Online Users: 27

0 members and 27 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 2,553, 02-17-2020 at 12:48 PM.

» Stats

Members: 969
Threads: 14,365
Top Poster: PigCicles (10,055)
Welcome to our newest member, SmokyOkie
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Onion Rings

Default Onion Rings

By request from the frog legs post...........sorry for the lack of pics (go easy on me Bubba), but I didn't plan on really posting about onion rings and when the hot grease gets crackling, getting the camera out isn't top on my list. Anyhow.......enough BS here is the recipe I used.

2 cups buttermilk
    3 teaspoons Crystal hot sauce
    2 teaspoons sugar
    2 teaspoons McCormick Cajun seasoning

2 cups all-purpose flour
    4 teaspoons baking powder
    2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
    1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    1 teaspoon salt

Vidalia Onions

Peanut oil

In a bowl, mix the buttermilk, hot sauce, sugar and cajun spices.

In a shallow dish combine the flour, baking powder, black pepper, cayenne pepper, and salt.

Peel the onions and slice crosswise. Separate the slices into separate rings.

Put a wire rack over a baking sheet. Dip the rings into the buttermilk and shake off any excess liquid. Working with a few slices at a time, dredge the slices into the flour mixture, shake off any excess, then dip again in the buttermilk and again in the flour mixture. Shake off any excess and put them on the wire rack.

Fill a Dutch oven with at least 2-inches of oil and heat to a temperature of 360 degrees F. Fry the onion rings in batches, adding only as many rings as will fit without touching in 1 layer, until golden brown and floating on the surface of the oil, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove, using tongs, and transfer to a paper-lined plate to drain briefly. Probably goes without saying, but let them cool just a bit before you dig in, they will be very hot.
    If you are doing a large batch/multiple batches, hold them on a rack over a baking sheet in a warm oven........they will stay good and crispy for a while in there.
    FBJ

SmokyOkie Guest

I've been on a search for an onion ring recipe for years that procuces a "large" crunchy battered onion ring that keeps the whole ring covered in batter thruogh the frying process. I have a good crumb recipe, but have never found the secret for a thick, crunchy, never ever soggy batter.

do you think this might fit the ticket?

I'm looking for a batter knida like the "xtra crispy" chicken @ KFC.

Have you ever tried thi one with double rings?

Well, without pics, i'll have to give it a try, but it does sound like some killer rings!
    Rubbed, Smoked and Sauced BBQ Team sponsored by Barsleaks/Rislone
    Authorized Backwoods dealer.
    B.O.D. GLBBQA
    Pitmaster - Lockharts BBQ of Royal Oak
    Owner-Great Lakes BBQ Supply Co.

I don't know what the actual temp is, but it cooks the way I want it to, so I don't guess it really matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Bbq Bubba View Post
    Well, without pics, i'll have to give it a try, but it does sound like some killer rings!
    Next time, I will have pics.
    FBJ

Quote Originally Posted by SmokyOkie View Post
    I've been on a search for an onion ring recipe for years that procuces a "large" crunchy battered onion ring that keeps the whole ring covered in batter thruogh the frying process. I have a good crumb recipe, but have never found the secret for a thick, crunchy, never ever soggy batter.

do you think this might fit the ticket?

I'm looking for a batter knida like the "xtra crispy" chicken @ KFC.

Have you ever tried thi one with double rings?
    This might fit the bill.........the batter is not soggy and I think that most of spots where the batter came off were due to rough handling.

Do you let your fried food "rest" after you coat them? Also what temp do you usually fry at. I never have any soggy batter on anything.
    FBJ

Quote Originally Posted by SmokyOkie View Post
    have never found the secret for a thick, crunchy, never ever soggy batter.
    Tim,

This part prompted me to do a little reading...........according to the Joy of Cooking, your problem is overcrowding. The food needs room to move and be able to put out all moisture coming from with in. If it is crowded then it can't do that and you get the soggy problem?

Is that it, possibly? I do a decent amount of frying, both immersed and just pan frying and never have a soggy batter problem.............and I definitely don't over crowd........in fact I probably go to the opposite extreme according to "the boss" here.
    FBJ

Your thoughts on whether this batter would work with bell pepper rings and such (like a tempura batter)?
    Bill-Chicago

WSM, Bandera, Kettle, ECB, Kenmore Gasser 36qt Turkey Fryer

I think it would be great for that.........for my tastes anyhow. Although it would not really be the tempura style as I think of it (club soda in the batter).........more of just a breading than a batter I guess.

I might try that tonight if I get the chance (swim meet), I got a few bells that are ready to be picked.
    FBJ

After the frog leg thing I was sorta skeeered to open this one. But it turned out OK.
    Certainly like good onion rings and intend to try the recipe.
    "If you can't smell smoke it ain't a barbeque joint" peculiarmike

TQJ Plankowner

"Life's tough.....It's even tougher if you're stupid."
    - John Wayne

SmokyOkie Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Fatback Joe View Post
    Tim,

This part prompted me to do a little reading...........according to the Joy of Cooking, your problem is overcrowding.
    Quite sure not. I fry in small batches in a 3 1/2 gal. capacity fryer.

I think soggy is a matter of definitions. What I'm looking for is a "stiff" heavy batter. Bill's use of the word tempura comes to mind. Tempura is what I think of as a soft batter. Though crisp on the outside, it is soft, kinda like a pancake batter on the inside. what I'm looking for would be crisp clear through. No, I try not to rest fried food, but when you're feeding several, something is gonna get to wait in the oven, and the batter I'm looking for will stand up to that.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast