Backwoodsok

» Support TQJ

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Online Users: 22

4 members and 18 guests
Most users ever online was 459, 11-07-2010 at 10:58 PM.

» Stats

Members: 3,109
Threads: 14,362
Top Poster: PigCicles (10,055)
Welcome to our newest member, Mienshao
    swamprb is offline Can tell pulled pork from sliced brisket swamprb is an unknown quantity at this point

Default Has anyone tried Mojobricks?

I ordered a bunch of these for my BBQ store. The fellow told me they would make a good replacement for Smoke Stix from BBqrs Delight (which are now out of production) and that you could easily break a piece off and use as needed. this is not true. They are very difficult to break apart.

what I got is the original large size and IMO really too large to use in the manner that Neil was using them.

I did get to use them as a primary fuel in my stickburner a couple weeks ago and they performed well other than the fact that they seemed to burn a little faster than logs.

swamprb is offline Can tell pulled pork from sliced brisket swamprb is an unknown quantity at this point

Mostly I use them for smoke, and I think they do well at that.
    I will take a brick and cut it into thirds or quarters on my band saw and depending on which cooker I'm using, L Big Green Egg they get mixed in with the lump, or my UDS, WSM or kettle, I just lay them on top the coals. In the Cookshack Smokette, I'll break up the pieces I've cut on the saw and add them to the smoke box. You are right, they don't break up easily, I've tried with an axe and its a PITA, but I just swept them up and used the destroyed bits in the smokebox of the Genesis grill.

If you all don't mind and would care to see them, I could post some pics of some of my test cooks in the various cookers I used?
    I have no financial gain in Mojobricks, but I think they are doing a good thing with the waste byproducts of single species hardwoods. They aren't for everyone, thats for sure, but pellets aren't either. I have only tried Cherry and Maple and have been pleased with my results.

I'd love to see them. I don't imagine admin would take exception with it.

Brother Okie gave me one of the large hunka-hunka cherry blocks. Worked fine in Miss Piggy as both a fire and smoke source. I probably won't buy them all the time since I have wood available, but they are a good use of the byproduct of manufacturing finished wood products.
    "If you can't smell smoke it ain't a barbeque joint" peculiarmike

TQJ Plankowner

"Life's tough.....It's even tougher if you're stupid."
    - John Wayne