Backwoodsok

» Support TQJ

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Online Users: 27

5 members and 22 guests
Most users ever online was 459, 11-07-2010 at 10:58 PM.

» Stats

Members: 3,109
Threads: 14,363
Top Poster: PigCicles (10,055)
Welcome to our newest member, Mienshao

Thread: What Spices?

Default What Spices?

Been on here for a few months now. have posted a few pics of my smoke that i have done. i have a question though, what spices should almost always be kept in the spice cabinet. it just seems like each time i want to do something, i have to run to the store to get things. so was just curious what should always be a staple?

The basics that will get you by are salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, brown sugar, cayenne pepper, chili powder, cumin.

Other add ins can be dry mustard, white pepper, basil, oregeno, thyme, corriander, celery.

That isn't everything, but it will get you a good rub. You will just need to measure everything until you find what you like best for which ever meat you are seasoning.
    Plank Owner ..................
    I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian!

Quote Originally Posted by PigCicles View Post
    The basics that will get you by are salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, brown sugar, cayenne pepper, chili powder, cumin.

Other add ins can be dry mustard, white pepper, basil, oregeno, thyme, corriander, celery.

That isn't everything, but it will get you a good rub. You will just need to measure everything until you find what you like best for which ever meat you are seasoning.
    From there you might also want to expand your savory herb collection with things like sage, rosemary, marjoram and such.

You also don't want to forget the basic sweet spices such as cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, clove, etc.

erain is offline Can tell pulled pork from sliced brisket erain will become famous soon enough

Quote Originally Posted by SmokyOkie View Post
    From there you might also want to expand your savory herb collection with things like sage, rosemary, marjoram and such.

You also don't want to forget the basic sweet spices such as cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, clove, etc.
    agree with Tim... especially if into sausage making, then also mace, fennel and anise, and dont forget red pepper flakes... i personally like peri peri peppers...

one other thing you may want if you do up salmon or say chicken noodle soup, and that is dill weed.

and being we on a roll, oregeno and basil. i have been buying these freeze dried and think they have superior flavor.

one thing i would warn about is dont buy more than what you will use in a short time. they do loose there flavor over time. the big containers are attractive pricewise, find a couple people to split them with so you go thru them faster.
    GOSM, soon to be with sfb
    MES
    Webber 22"
    Dutch Ovens and other CI

I agree with what pigcicles and smokieokie said, but the one thing they left out is Lowery's seasoning salt.

Quote Originally Posted by rwc565 View Post
    I agree with what pigcicles and smokieokie said, but the one thing they left out is Lowery's seasoning salt.
    I don't use many "all in ones", and if I do, they are usually of my own making.

Here is an approximate clone recipe for the Lawry's product if you would like to make your own. If you try it please let us know how it turned out.

2 tablespoons salt
    2 teaspoons sugar
    1/2 teaspoon paprika
    1/4 teaspoon turmeric
    1/4 teaspoon onion powder
    1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
    1/4 teaspoon cornstarch

Quote Originally Posted by SmokyOkie View Post
    I don't use many "all in ones", and if I do, they are usually of my own making.
    couldn't sleep this AM and there a small craft advisory on the lake so i'm shore bound, it's just getting light outside so its to early to cut the grass so i find myself going back in the files here.....gonna try the this lawrys duplicate, i bet they add msg though, never read the label, but just a guess.

I'm of the make it yourself if you can kinda guy and mix up my own "pre"made blends some are better than others and sometimes i can't 'member what i put into it, even then i'll use half a batch, then decide to change it up....its never boring this way, but can be frustrating when i nail something and can;t duplicate it.

something i have been toying around with cardamom....it really perks up a jerk blend
    22' reconstructed Weber
    Iron man- old red ecb w/ super mods
    AquaLung - UDS

Easy *GOSP, Old Bay, Goya perfect seasoning, Mcormick's season all, Celery salt
    *Garlic
    Onion
    Salt
    Pepper
    Be kind to me, it's not my fault I'm a "PORK-A-HOLIC"!!
    MY Blog:Http://acountryboyeats.blogspot.com
    Chargriller Smokin' Pro/SFB
    Webber 22.5"
    Memorial UDS Big Jim