» Support TQJ

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Online Users: 43

0 members and 43 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 2,553, 02-17-2020 at 12:48 PM.

» Stats

Members: 969
Threads: 14,365
Top Poster: PigCicles (10,055)
Welcome to our newest member, SmokyOkie
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Well , the Beans came out good

Probably shoulda stuck with burgers and dogs for Mom and mom in law yesterday
    Tried for G2I s french dips with a chuck tender roast with high hopes . Forgot the sear step ( strike one ) , and had a hard time to keep 220 f let alone 250 f (strike 2 ). Put the ribs on too early expecting around 4 hours for the roast ( yes I know better , just didn't act like it ) (strike 3 ) .
    At the low temps the roast hit a 2 1/2 hour temp stall at 138 - 140 and going back and forth , I shoulda foiled the pan when I saw the stall starting, just to be on the safe side ( next batter strike 1 )
    Roast taking too long the ribs were in the foil too long so they then spent too long outta the foil , then just pulled onto a baking sheet for another hour ( I wanted that roast to finish ) toughened up the ribs more than I care for , but everyone did " Like the flavor " and cleaned us outta leftover ribs by taking them home ( foul ball , strike 2)
    Been wanting to try smoked corn , never did anything but boil it before , had day old already dried out corn from wherever they shipped it from , pulled the husks back , pulled the silk , rubbed butter on , just folded the husks back with out tying the ends . Threw them on too late and they were still undercooked when served , Still cooking that roast , so back on the smoker they went . ( end result , strike three , next batter up )
    Did I mention that I should have covered that roast ( in the foil pan of aus jus ) a couple of hours ago . Just kept basting it when I opened the smoker.
    A pan of Dutches beans , just sitting on the top rack , watching and laughing at the goings on below them Came out great as usual and everyone loved them ( more leftovers gone but saved some for us , (in the park home run )

Can't believe I used all those base ball references , cause the game doesn't really interest me at all .

Managed a few pics , here ya go :

Happy morning :

Into the aus jus , ribs lookin good :

Ribs outta the foil , move the stalled beef twards the heat and the 5 corns on :

Got a nice smoke ring on my roast :

Not sure what to to with the roast , it spent at least an hour and a 1/2 outta the fridge warming up and getting the rub on , and then close to six hours getting to 148 f when I pulled it off the cooker
    Seems like way too long in the riskey temps , hate to waste it , but more afraid of food poisoning . It's vac sealed in the fridge now , just don't know what to do with it

Any who that was my fun day off yesterday
    Phil

"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms." --Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, 1787

Favorite tune !!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxiCrcV_R9o

Too many strikes, your out, now send the grub my way, cuz it looks GREAT!
    Hope The Smoke Don't Clear

My Food WAS a vegetarian

There is an old adage that goes "when in doubt, throw it out". In your case, I don't think there is a risk of your roast having turned bad on you, but noone can say for sure. The pictures sure look nice though, and it would appear that you had a good day playing around the smoker.
    Kev
    GOSM 3405
    UDS - One of a set of twins
    Custom Stick Burner - "Latifah".....(yeah, she's big and beautiful)
    Certified KCBS Judge

Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before.
    -Mae West

Nice pics.

The roast should be fine since it was only in the danger zone for 1.5hrs.

You don't have to baste the roast. just flip it andcover it with foil.

So you made a couple of mistakes, it happens. Next time you know what to do.

How did you have problems getting hot enough temps in the middle of july?
    VDS aka "IT"
    Brinkman Smoke N Pit Pitmaster
    Kegerator(retired)
    OUTDOOR GOURMET 11-PIECE COMBO FRYER SET
    KCBS Certified BBQ Judge
    Formaly "The Q Joint" BBQ Team (The Butt Man)
    There's no place like 127.0.0.1
    Facebook

Jeremy

The only mistake that counts in BBQ is having to throw out food. If you don't have to throw it away ... it's a learning process. We're all still learning.

I'd say your roast is fine ... eat it. And it looks good too.

Keep trying on that corn. When it's done ... it's goooood!
    Plank Owner ..................
    I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian!

I ain't a givin up , not by a long shot

I knew when I jumped into this that I had a lot of learning to do and days like yesterday were going to happen. I've learned lots so far and enjoy all of it . Sorry the post sounded so whiney

Glued , I think I just happened to get a chargriller that wants to run on the low side . Next door neighbor has one just like mine that likes to run warm LOL . I may try to shorten the exaust ext a couple of inches and wing nut it to the door. May help keep a better draft going for air flow.
    Coulda made a little more heat but was afraid of making jerky out of the ribs
    Phil

"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms." --Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, 1787

Favorite tune !!

Looking at that smoke ring , and the pink half over the med well looking half , I bet my thermo was just above the liquid level in the meat .
    Note to self " Self , next time try moving the thermo around a little "

Pigcicles , Looking forward to some local fresh corn , it was a little shy of "knee high by the forth of July" around here , but when it comes in I'm going to get it figgered out.
    Phil

Favorite tune !!

Phil, make sure the "knock out plug" between the firebox and the smoking chamber has been removed. the chargriller makes a fine grill and not everyone uses them as a smoker. Therefore, they have a knock out on the right side in case you add a firebox. In my case, I bought it assembled and the crew at Lowe's didn't take the piece out and it ran cool too.
    Kev
    GOSM 3405
    Certified KCBS Judge

-Mae West

Got that done before I put it together

Phil

Favorite tune !!

I think I see your problem. You've left the lid open and you don't have enough grates in there!
    Kev
    GOSM 3405
    Certified KCBS Judge

-Mae West

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast