usbbqsupply

» Support TQJ

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Online Users: 149

2 members and 147 guests
Most users ever online was 2,553, 02-17-2020 at 12:48 PM.

» Stats

Members: 3,108
Threads: 14,364
Top Poster: PigCicles (10,055)
Welcome to our newest member, Mienshao
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

When I still had my WSM I had switched to the foiled flower pot base in the top of the standard weber water pan. I had to close the dampers a little more to keep the temps down, but it was nice not to have to worry about running outta water on the overnight cooks, and sand had a tendency to turn into a rock hard mass in the pan after a while so when I wanted to use water for another kind of cook, it was a pain to get out. I guess it would have helped if I'd foiled the water pan before adding the sand...

I have to change my response I had above of using sand...

I now use nothing in the pan. I find I can control the temp just as well without anything in it so why bother. Just a simple cleanup by taking the foil off the pan after the cook.
    Mike

Weber Smokey Mountain
    Weber 22" Performer
    Weber 18" One Touch
    UDS
    Thermapen, ET73, Polder, 2 Accu-Rite

swamprb is offline Can tell pulled pork from sliced brisket swamprb is an unknown quantity at this point

Default WSM Heat Sinks

I started out using a claypot base with foil over it. It eventually cracked, I don't know if it was heat related or from bouncing around the trailer.

I used JB Weld to mend it.

While the epoxy was curing I had read of a guy using ceramic gas grill briqs in the waterpan for a heat sink. I had a bag of Red Lava Rocks from an old gasser so I put them in the WSM waterpan and a ceramic pizza stone on top. I foil the stone and have a foiled drip pan to catch the drippings.

I just load up the WSM with briq, fire it up with a weed torch, watch my temps rise, put on the meats and adjust the vents down as the temps stabilize. It takes a little getting used to it but if you don't watch the temps on the way up and throttle down, it will get away from you and it takes a while to bring it down. It works for me and the temps are very stable and I rarely touch the vents.

I've never used water in the WSM pan, dry from the get go! Clean up is a snap, just toss the foil on the drip pan!
    Brian

Thanks Brian. I have some ceramic briquetts that I might try out in my GOSM to see how that works.
    Plank Owner ..................
    I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian!

I switched to sand in my GOSM last fall. It works fine.
    "If you can't smell smoke it ain't a barbeque joint" peculiarmike

TQJ Plankowner

"Life's tough.....It's even tougher if you're stupid."
    - John Wayne

Being familiar with the chemical make up of JB weld (I run a chemical co.), I wouldn't recommend using it in your WSM. It will likely exceed it's temperature rating and put off some nasty fumes.

Are you familiar with Jim Minion's WSM method? He fills the c'coal pan then starts about 8 or 10 briquettes in a chimney and places them on top in the middle of the pan. This way, the fire has to burn down and out and you have less tendency to have temps run away on you.

GReat lookin' Grub!

Quote Originally Posted by SmokyOkie View Post
    GReat lookin' Grub!
    What he said! Thanks, Brian!
    Rob - TX Sandman
    Plank Owner, TQJ

Water or empty pan. Never tried sand.
    Randy
    Big Belly BBQ `N` More

Nice pics Brian.

Love those handles on the WSM, even though it looks like you cook with the door upside down.

The door "knob" should be on the bottom to prevent air leakage (Now that, is another debate!!)
    Bill-Chicago

WSM, Bandera, Kettle, ECB, Kenmore Gasser 36qt Turkey Fryer

Quote Originally Posted by Willkat98 View Post
    Nice pics Brian.

Love those handles on the WSM, even though it looks like you cook with the door upside down.

The door "knob" should be on the bottom to prevent air leakage (Now that, is another debate!!)

Trouble maker.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast