Backwoodsok

» Support TQJ

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Online Users: 18

6 members and 12 guests
Most users ever online was 459, 11-07-2010 at 10:58 PM.

» Stats

Members: 3,109
Threads: 14,363
Top Poster: PigCicles (10,055)
Welcome to our newest member, Mienshao

Default SmokyOkie Brisket Method & Comps

Hey Tim,

I got a couple of questions that I think I know the answer to but I will ask and make sure. I re read the method on this thread http://www.theqjoint.com/forum/showt...?p=923#post923 and a couple of questions came to mind with regards to comps.

1. It says 1 to 2 days before to rub the brisket well with rub. Obviously you can't do that for a comp since you have to wait until the meat inspection. Did you do anything different for the comp or just hit it with the same amount as you would at home?

2. Cook til the temp hits 200 by the method. Did you have to lower that for comps......guessing you did since you mention in the method that it may break up on you which makes it tough to have a nice turn in. If you did, what temp did you stop at?

3. Did you have to hold the brisket for a while before slicing for turn in, or did you have your timing down to where that wasn't an issue? If you had to wrap and hold, did you take it out of the pan of juices?

4. Have you ever tried injecting and using this method? If so, what was the result?

5. For the comp did you pretrim at all or just let 'er rip as it you bought it?

6. What do you normally use for rub ingredients? Seems like something with any/much sugar would have trouble in the sear.

7. Want to just come to FLA for my next comp and do the brisket? I'll handle the chicken and ribs and then we can talk about how we would have had GC if either one of us could score in pork. LOL
    FBJ

I'm VERY interested in this also, lookin to throw the judges a change-up next comp...

Can i come down with Tim??
    I'll do pork and we'll have a good ol time!!
    Rubbed, Smoked and Sauced BBQ Team sponsored by Barsleaks/Rislone
    Authorized Backwoods dealer.
    B.O.D. GLBBQA
    Pitmaster - Lockharts BBQ of Royal Oak
    Owner-Great Lakes BBQ Supply Co.

I don't know what the actual temp is, but it cooks the way I want it to, so I don't guess it really matters.

I can jump in the truck with Bubba , i tend a mean BAR!!!
    GOSM Big Block
    ECB

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by jts70 View Post
    I can jump in the truck with Bubba , i tend a mean BAR!!!
    See what ya started Joe......a dang party!!
    Rubbed, Smoked and Sauced BBQ Team sponsored by Barsleaks/Rislone
    Authorized Backwoods dealer.
    B.O.D. GLBBQA
    Pitmaster - Lockharts BBQ of Royal Oak
    Owner-Great Lakes BBQ Supply Co.

I don't know what the actual temp is, but it cooks the way I want it to, so I don't guess it really matters.

Come on down anytime.

Bubba,

If you got pork covered we could maybe win enough to pay for the trip.

Of course, so far Tim hasn't even given up a tip........let alone say anything about coming. LOL
    FBJ

Quote Originally Posted by Fatback Joe View Post
    Hey Tim,

I got a couple of questions that I think I know the answer to but I will ask and make sure. I re read the method on this thread http://www.theqjoint.com/forum/showt...?p=923#post923 and a couple of questions came to mind with regards to comps.

1. It says 1 to 2 days before to rub the brisket well with rub. Obviously you can't do that for a comp since you have to wait until the meat inspection. Did you do anything different for the comp or just hit it with the same amount as you would at home?

As they say, comp food is different than "home food". Just the usual rub. The rub will permeate the beef during the cooking and steeping process.

2. Cook til the temp hits 200 by the method. Did you have to lower that for comps......guessing you did since you mention in the method that it may break up on you which makes it tough to have a nice turn in. If you did, what temp did you stop at?

197, then to the Cambro for however long.

3. Did you have to hold the brisket for a while before slicing for turn in, or did you have your timing down to where that wasn't an issue? If you had to wrap and hold, did you take it out of the pan of juices?

Rest a while so that you can handle it. Slice, reassemble like a deck of cards on their side in the pan, pour au jus over the top allowing the au jus to get in between the slices. You don't need to wrap it, it will be swiming in the au jus and thus won't dry out.

4. Have you ever tried injecting and using this method? If so, what was the result?

Yes, but not necessary

5. For the comp did you pretrim at all or just let 'er rip as it you bought it?

Never, the fat bastes the meat with flavor. Besides that, there's more fat in the kernel than on top, and you aren't gonna get rid of it.

6. What do you normally use for rub ingredients? Seems like something with any/much sugar would have trouble in the sear.

It will be sweet enough without added sugar. If anything, look for a high salt rub.

7. Want to just come to FLA for my next comp and do the brisket? I'll handle the chicken and ribs and then we can talk about how we would have had GC if either one of us could score in pork. LOL

Since Bubba wants to come, and I'm kinda in the middle, why don't all of you come up/down here and join the TQJ team for our next comp?

Thanks for the info,Tim.

It won't be this year probably, but I will be in Oklahoma before too very long. I'll try to see if we can't time it with a comp.
    FBJ

Quote Originally Posted by Fatback Joe View Post
    Thanks for the info,Tim.

It won't be this year probably, but I will be in Oklahoma before too very long. I'll try to see if we can't time it with a comp.
    As to the info, I don't feel like that sort of thing should be kept secret. Bear in mind though that there is still a lot left to feel, etc., and that you can't write it all down. I think that you will be pleasantly surprised if you try an SOB.

as to being in OK, if you can't time it with a comp, we can always plan a non-comp cook. In my book, those are a lot more fun.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokyOkie View Post
    As to the info, I don't feel like that sort of thing should be kept secret. Bear in mind though that there is still a lot left to feel, etc., and that you can't write it all down. I think that you will be pleasantly surprised if you try an SOB.

as to being in OK, if you can't time it with a comp, we can always plan a non-comp cook. In my book, those are a lot more fun.
    yep, I have done it before, I was just curious about how you did a couple of things in regards to the method as it was posted versus "competition style". I think I was right on the money.

I agree, no big reason for secrets. You can tell someone exactly how you did it, what rub, sauce etc......and they can still get vastly different results. I suppose if I won all the time, I might clam up though. LOL But just having a few top 10s.........I'll spill my guts. LOL

Also agree, the informal stuff is more fun...........no stress/time constraints involved.
    FBJ