Backwoodsok

» Support TQJ

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Online Users: 254

4 members and 250 guests
Most users ever online was 459, 11-07-2010 at 10:58 PM.

» Stats

Members: 3,108
Threads: 14,363
Top Poster: PigCicles (10,055)
Welcome to our newest member, Mienshao
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Super-Chef Deep Fryer

Well, I am on to my next winter project. I recently discovered a Super Chef 220V Countertop Deep Fryer in one of our tool cribs here at work, the boss said I was welcome to it.
    I'm pretty sure it's about 20 years old. I checked the Super Chef website for info, but it appears they are no longer in business as their emails all bounced back and the number is disconnected.
    The unit has double baskets but they are a little narrow. I'm mainly refurbing it for Chicken wings and the like....

Here are a couple pictures that I took but they are close in, you can see the rough condition from the picture with the part number on it.
    Super Chef sells these fryers (or did) for around $900, so I think I got a pretty good deal...

Does anyone have any advice for cleaning tarnish and oxidation from Stainless short of electrolytic cleaning?
    2011-11-08_10-32-11_507.jpg2011-11-08_10-31-52_5.jpg
    ~Brian~
    BBQ Jones comp team
    KCBS Member
    KCBS CBJ

Quote Originally Posted by Joneser View Post
    Well, I am on to my next winter project. I recently discovered a Super Chef 220V Countertop Deep Fryer in one of our tool cribs here at work, the boss said I was welcome to it.
    I'm pretty sure it's about 20 years old. I checked the Super Chef website for info, but it appears they are no longer in business as their emails all bounced back and the number is disconnected.
    The unit has double baskets but they are a little narrow. I'm mainly refurbing it for Chicken wings and the like....

Here are a couple pictures that I took but they are close in, you can see the rough condition from the picture with the part number on it.
    Super Chef sells these fryers (or did) for around $900, so I think I got a pretty good deal...

Does anyone have any advice for cleaning tarnish and oxidation from Stainless short of electrolytic cleaning?
    Attachment 4176Attachment 4177
    Great find! You know how long I was looking for something like that!

Show us the whole cooker Brian.

Are you wanting to remove baked on oil resins or oxidation? Hot caustic is good for that. Boiling it out with commercial grade dishwasher soup will remove a lot of it. d'Limonene based cleaners like Goof OFF are fairly effective with enough dwell time. Butyl cleaners like professional strength Formula 409 wor well too. Show me some lix of what you want to take off and I can prolly tell you how to clean it off. I've been in tht business for over 30 years.

The fryer is at home, I'll snap some pix when I get home...
    Here is the oil pan that I'm most concerned about.
    2011-11-10_12-08-20_258.jpg
    ~Brian~
    BBQ Jones comp team
    KCBS Member
    KCBS CBJ

It almost looks like it has had water boiled in it. What do you think the crud consists of? I can't tell.

Is it water scale or hardened resins from old oil? It is not likely oxidation if it is stainless steel.

Most restaurant supply stores sell a product called "Boil Out" that is made specifically for boiling out the crud in old deep fryers. It would clean the old oil resins and such. If it is hard water scale on Stainless Steel, a good acid cleaner like CLR ought to work well.

The oily resins I can deal with by hitting it with a little scotch brite, The stuff at the bottom looks like a layer of rust. I know Stainless will rust if the chromium breaks down, but I'm not sure that is the case, I was going to try boiling it out with a mild caustic soap we use here on our E-coat pretreat line.
    ~Brian~
    BBQ Jones comp team
    KCBS Member
    KCBS CBJ

baked on esters (like cooked on old oil) can rarely be removed with a Scotch Brite.

If you can't boil it out with a good caustic, I doubt that it will affect you cooking oil.

I like that line of thinking....
    ~Brian~
    BBQ Jones comp team
    KCBS Member
    KCBS CBJ

Here are the rest of the pix....
    Snapped them this am with my phone sorry about the lighting...
    Over all shot

Close-up of the controls....this thing is filthy...

Here is a shot that shows the burner
    ~Brian~
    BBQ Jones comp team
    KCBS Member
    KCBS CBJ

Way cool Brian. I love the heat coming from the sides. It keeps from scorching whatever might fall off the food when you fry it.

I wonder if you could find a large basket to fit it at the restaurant supply store.

Get that thing cleaned up and let's get some great, deep fried health food swimming in it ... hey fish is healthy
    Plank Owner ..................
    I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast