Backwoodsok

» Support TQJ

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Online Users: 48

4 members and 44 guests
Most users ever online was 459, 11-07-2010 at 10:58 PM.

» Stats

Members: 3,109
Threads: 14,363
Top Poster: PigCicles (10,055)
Welcome to our newest member, Mienshao
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Glad I checked this out. I have to make chili for hunters sat night and needed a recipe. Mom gave me the williams pkg and said start with that. Can you do the Williams pkg chili and let it simmer for about 12 hrs? I will also be hunting and could start it in the morn so it is ready after we clean birds. I could mix everything up, put in fridge then start it at noon so it is ready by 6. What would you guys do?

If you want something more complicated, check out alton brown good eats chili. It is more "home made". I was going to go with that one but I won't have time to mess with it.

Thanks for the help and thanks for starting this thread! Just in time!

Mistakes - It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.

Quote Originally Posted by BigAL View Post
    Glad I checked this out. I have to make chili for hunters sat night and needed a recipe. Mom gave me the williams pkg and said start with that. Can you do the Williams pkg chili and let it simmer for about 12 hrs? I will also be hunting and could start it in the morn so it is ready after we clean birds. I could mix everything up, put in fridge then start it at noon so it is ready by 6. What would you guys do?

If you want something more complicated, check out alton brown good eats chili. It is more "home made". I was going to go with that one but I won't have time to mess with it.

Thanks for the help and thanks for starting this thread! Just in time!
    The Williams chili seasoning in the bulk ocntainer is better IMHO. Lotsa onions, cocao powder, veingar for tart and sugar to offset it. Lotsa onion and chopped bell and mild chili peppers like poblanos and pasillas, not to mention mild NM or Cali chilis.

If oyu cook it in something that heats from the bottom, someone will need to be there to stir it from time to time. If you cook it in say a countertop roaster, not so much. Of course, you could always make it a *** ahead and then stick the pot on the pellet pooper to heat while you hunt.

I'm going to make it in a big ol roaster, 18qt iirc.
    I might make it today cause I'll be around, good idea about just heat'n it in the pellet pooper, but I do have to watch the smoke in the shed as that is where supper will be.

Should I brown the meat and drain the grease or just dump it all together and go with that? I'm think'n just dump it all in and let it cook for a good 6-8hrs or until the meat is done and everything has melded together.

Usually when I over think something it just gets done how it gets done when it's go time.

Mistakes - It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.

You can brwon the meat and drain the grease, or come back later and skim the grease off the top. If you cook it and then fridge it, yo can pick the grease up off the top and trhen add back only as much as you want.

For the best flavor, you really need to brown the meat first though.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2