Backwoodsok

» Support TQJ

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Online Users: 214

8 members and 206 guests
Most users ever online was 459, 11-07-2010 at 10:58 PM.

» Stats

Members: 3,108
Threads: 14,363
Top Poster: PigCicles (10,055)
Welcome to our newest member, Mienshao
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Cool

Just noticed the above links. I'm good, not that thin skinned.
    Mark Crigler

Which links Mark?
    Last edited by SmokyOkie; 07-03-2012 at 08:56 PM.

So, Tim, can you get up to 350 F with the water? I thought I would need to go with sand to get that high even with a guru.

I adjusted my cook temp to 275 F, but think chicken would do better at higher temps. I haven't done any chicken yet, but saw this post and thought I would ask...

How long do you think it would take to evaporate a full water pan at 350F?
    Mel / Full Metal Pork / Comp Rig -- G2 Party-G2 Chubby-Chicken Little / BWS EXT Party

I think I have cooked that high with water before, but that is pushing it. At sea level atmospheric pressure, water won't get over 212*. I usually use a foil pan full of sand when cooking at 300* and above.

As to how long it would take ot boil off the water I don't know, but i can guarantee that then it is gone, the temps would sky rocket.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokyOkie View Post
    Which links Mark?
    Should have read "posts".
    Mark Crigler

Water evaporation rates can be calculated, but it depends on many factors. Since evaporation happens only at the surface, #1 factor would be how much area of surface water.Then you have to factor in the volume of the water (cubic inches or centimeters). Relative humidity will play a part also, and ambient air temps. Since the temp in your smoker will rise and fall, the rate changes, as warmer air will have a higher saturation point than cooler air. Rates could be anywhere from 6 to 25 % per hour. Measure the amount of water lost in an hour at any given degree of temperature and that will give you rate of loss percentage for those particular set of factors. There is no way to determine how fast your water pan will empty as a constant. Its ever changing as you just cannot control all the factors involved. Not in a smoker anyway.
    Master Cabinetmaker,KCBS Certified Judge,Student of the smoking arts,All around gear head
    Ugly drum smoker,Chargriller,Custom Backwoods Chubby,Bellfab backyard model

"I love what mine cause, whats mine is all mine. Gives me a reason to go get more"- John Popper, Blues Traveler.

okay.. i've started the search again. if you were to be looking for comp smokers. Around here, more KCBS, but still a lot of MBM style comps. would you buy 2 fatboys so that you can rack up one and have it running a little hotter than the other. or 2 party extended..? lighter (cheaper).. either way vary small shoulder quantity.. but want to be able to load up in the back of the truck and be able to tow the camper. I've got a trailer that i could build off of... but wanna be more mobile and not hitch dependant. (wheels, ramps and a come along will get almost any into the truck.. so Competitor is a possiblilty.. or perhaps the Piglet. then i'm good for whatever.. but only 1 cooker with those two.. and heavy...
    thoughts?

what say ye?
    Last edited by Umpa; 01-15-2013 at 05:16 PM. Reason: i'm a spelling moron...
    "BoB" a leaky Offset Stickburner
    Backwoods G2 Party and G2 Chubby
    UDS

Two GII Parties, the perfect combination of space and portability. If you go Piglet, bump up to the Piglet Plus for an extra 5" depth in the oven chamber. You can put your hotel pans in front to back instead of sideways.

I'll send my phone# if you want to call for details.

yeah.. send me the digits.. wait..same as on your website?

Quote Originally Posted by SmokyOkie View Post
    Two GII Parties, the perfect combination of space and portability. If you go Piglet, bump up to the Piglet Plus for an extra 5" depth in the oven chamber. You can put your hotel pans in front to back instead of sideways.

I'll send my phone# if you want to call for details.
    "BoB" a leaky Offset Stickburner
    Backwoods G2 Party and G2 Chubby
    UDS

Quote Originally Posted by Umpa View Post
    well.. still stumped on the stumps. ha. i'll let ya know what i figure out.. i like the water pan cookers tho. i was looking at a big whole hog cooker made by maxifab last year.. (the guy that makes Myrons stuff). simple design and efficient. just to dang big.
    Since you mentioned that above, you might want to check out Myron's new line of cookers
    http://myronmixonsmokers.com/
    UDS, CharGriller w/SFB, Maverick ET 7 & ET 732
    and now a brand new BBQ Guru PartyQ!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast