Register Now!

» Stats

Members: 3,109
Threads: 14,363
Top Poster: PigCicles (10,055)
Welcome to our newest member, Mienshao

Thread: Persimmon

Default Persimmon

Dad and I were clearing out some hedge for a fence row and found an old persimmon tree that had all but rotted away. Found about a 6 ft section that was still hard. I've been testing it with burgers and steaks and it's really good. I have a small pork shoulder in the drum right now to see how it is with low and slow. It seems to be a medium smoke, but is sharper than other fruit wood like peach or apple.
    Josh
    AKA: Geek with Fire

That's a new one for me...never heard of using that for smoke...I'd try it! I love trying non-typical woods.
    ~Brian~
    BBQ Jones comp team
    KCBS Member
    KCBS CBJ

I've got a persimmon tree out back. If it doesn't start putting fruit back on it's gonna be a victim of the smoke too.

Let us know what you think of the wood for low and slow.
    Plank Owner ..................
    I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian!

I have used a lot of persimmon. My son has one in his front yard and uses the trimmings from it in his CG. I like it.

I tried using persimmon logs in an old stickburner and could not get them to catch fire though, even when they were 3 years seasoned. Never could figure out why. I guess its kinda like trying to burn redwood.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokyOkie View Post
    I have used a lot of persimmon. My son has one in his front yard and uses the trimmings from it in his CG. I like it.

I tried using persimmon logs in an old stickburner and could not get them to catch fire though, even when they were 3 years seasoned. Never could figure out why. I guess its kinda like trying to burn redwood.
    I noticed that too Tim. When I checked the drum this morning, there was very little lump left, but the wood chunks were still in shape. They were fully charred and I could easily break them up, but they certainly didn't burn up. I kind of like that though because I think that leads to an even burn.
    Josh

So the verdict is in on the persimmon. Here it is: meh

Kind of underwhelming. Unless it's because of the specimen I used, I think it is a wood that is better off at high temp. I say this because I like the flavor when grilling burgers and steaks and because it is so hard to burn up.
    Josh

I wonder how it would be green? Like Myron M. likes his peach wood.

Thanks for the review - maybe I'll just let the poor tree out back hang out a while then.
    Plank Owner ..................
    I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian!

Now that you mention it Josh, I don't know as I have ever used it any other way than high temp...as in stick burner. I mean, I didn't necessarily cook at high temp, but it was burning in a high temp fire...You know, clean combustion.