Backwoodsok

» Support TQJ

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Online Users: 23

3 members and 20 guests
Most users ever online was 459, 11-07-2010 at 10:58 PM.

» Stats

Members: 3,108
Threads: 14,363
Top Poster: PigCicles (10,055)
Welcome to our newest member, Mienshao

Default Ribs, by request.

My son's request, actually. I asked him what he wanted for dinner one night and he said, "Steak, or ribs." Dang, tough choice.

Went with ribs, so it was a trip to the store and onto the kettle. 2 racks of back ribs, enough for the family. Got some mac-n-cheese and a vegetable tray for sides. Time to get started.

No pics of prep work, as I got started later than I like, but I pulled the membrane off, gave a light mustard slather, and added the rub. 1 rack got a coating of First Timer's Ribs rub. It's a Raichlen recipe from his Ribs book, but I'll post the recipe and a link to it in the Rubs section later. The other rack was given a coating of Pork Powder, a new rub I've been wanting to try. (Good stuff. Thanks, Bill!) With only 2 racks, I just pinned the tops with toothpicks so they'd stay upright.

Cooking process was simple. Used Bob, cooked indirect at 330 for about 1:45. Foiled for 10 minutes to rest. Served w/o sauce.

Sweet cherry blue. I'm so used to stronger smoke, though, I didn't use enough. Next time, a couple more chunks.

Here they are on Bob. My family loves the texture of the ribs when I cook 'em indirect. They're not tough, but there's a great bite, and they still come off the bone clean.

Just before their foil rest.

First cut's the hardest. They just look too purty.

And served. If youi look closely, you can see the tester in the upper left corner. It passed the wife test, so we're good to go.

I'd give you a plated pic, but that was it. We ate off the counter and out of the pot. The ribs were done at 6:30pm, but my kids are used to eating earlier. They were hungry (especially the 2-yr old), so I served the mac and veg tray early. They ate and were happy, so the adults waited in peace. Karen was worried about us being bad role models, until I told her "There aren't any kids out here to see us, and I'm a guy, and the dad. Teaching them to eat over a sink or off the counter is in my job description."

BTW, got compliments from the wife, and the next day from the MIL over the leftovers.
    Rob - TX Sandman
    Plank Owner, TQJ

Perfect timing!!!!

I am doing ribs tonight for the MIL. Today is her berfday ( how cool is that)

I love kettle ribs!!

Thanks Rob, and glad your results came out good. Glad you liked the Pork Powder. Couple others on my list are getting it too. MAybe a follow up to the Daddy Hinkles test?

Don't ask me to post the story of how I tried to get in bed with my mother in law last year.

Oy, vay!
    Bill-Chicago

WSM, Bandera, Kettle, ECB, Kenmore Gasser 36qt Turkey Fryer

Nice job Rob! Those look great to me. My plans for the weekend changed a tad, but am planning on ribs today and brisket some time later in the weekend.

It's always a good thing when the wife and MIL give ya the ol

Thanks for sharing.
    Plank Owner ..................
    I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian!

nice looking ribs

Really good looking ribs Rob! Good to hear that the wife and MIL also enjoyed them. And by the way Chi - Bill, that story of your trying to get in bed with your MIL sounds very interesting ... perhaps even strange .... but I'd like to hear it.
    Florida Bill

Looking good.