PDA

View Full Version : Texas Sunshine

BluDawg
07-14-2011, 03:38 PM
I suffer from two addictions BBQ and Chiliheaditus. Every once in awhile I find a Hot sauce that becomes my drug of choice. There is a little Tauqueria in town that I grab lunch at every now and again that has a sauce that is made in the back of the restaurant. I call call it Texas Sunshine(it will warm the soul and make you smile) . I have been trying to get the recipe for years from the owner with no luck. But through trial and error and allot of research I finally got it close enough that I cannot tell a difference.
I know that we have some chili heads here so I though I would share it. This stuff rocks!!
Texas Sunshine
http://i968.photobucket.com/albums/ae164/Bludawg51/DSCN0629.jpg

50 dried chiles de Arbol
1 1/2 tablespoons sesame seeds
2 tablespoons shelled pumpkin seeds
1/4 teaspoon ground commino
1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
pinch ground cloves
1 teaspoon Mexican oregano
1 teaspoon salt
2 cloves garlic,
3/4 cup cider vinegar

Remove the stems and seeds from the chili pods and put the into the blender.

Heat an ungreased skillet over medium-low heat. Add the sesame seeds and toast them add to the blender. Add pumpkin seeds to the skillet. Stir constantly for several minutes until they turn golden brown, add them to the blender

Add the the cumin, allspice and cloves to the blender along with the oregano, salt, garlic and vinegar. Blend for several minutes until the mixture is orange-red and feels smooth when a drop is rubbed between your fingers. Strain through a sieve, working the solids back and forth and pressing them firmly. Stir in 3/4 cup water, then pour into a bottle, cover and let stand for 24 hours before serving.

tomshoots
07-14-2011, 03:43 PM
Hey Dawg, that sounds real good!!

Joneser
07-14-2011, 03:43 PM
Man, does that sound good! Highly unlikely I'll make it as I'm the only one who likes spicy sauces in my house, but it does sound like it's up my alley. :sign0092: for posting all your hard work!

Chargrilled
07-14-2011, 05:37 PM
glad you got something close to theirs!!! Your story reminds me of the tacos and burritos at la palma grocery and restaurant. They have a guac that is out of this world, still workin over the owner for the recipe!!!

Awesome sauce dude!!!

SmokyOkie
07-14-2011, 09:28 PM
Very interesting. I like the spices and seed added. There are so many pepper sauces that are just pepper and vinegar. that sounds like it has some real nice complexity.

If you are into that type of thing, I have a good recipe for Serrano table sauce.

oaksmoke
07-14-2011, 10:42 PM
Sounds great Dawg, how's the heat level?:thumbs up::thumbs up:

BluDawg
07-15-2011, 09:50 AM
Sounds great Dawg, how's the heat level?:thumbs up::thumbs up: Considering I eat Jalapeņos like sweet bell peppers and Habeneros are about a med hot heat lvl to me I would say it's on the high side of mild.

Zeeker
07-15-2011, 12:38 PM
On my list. Thanks BluDawg...:thumbs up:

BigAL
07-17-2011, 05:57 AM
Nice job, DawgTurd!:thumbs up:

darkgun82
10-08-2011, 02:37 PM
Love making my own hot sauce! I'll have to give this recipe a try soon! Like SmokyOkie said, there are a lot of sauces that are just pepper and vinegar, this one has to have some complex flavors!

:sign0092: