PDA

View Full Version : venison spedies and burgers

Slim Jim
07-10-2011, 08:55 AM

More from grillin & smokin over the holiday weekend. On the grill would be venison spedies, and burgers. Sides in the drum smoker are onion buds, and tomatoes. Life is good!

SmokyOkie
07-10-2011, 11:29 AM
Love the tripod. Sure wish I knew where I could find an old highway sign tripod.

O B City
07-10-2011, 01:12 PM
....venison spedies..... Life is good!

Very few people from anything more than 100 miles away from you will know what spedies are. I have never tried Venison Spedies, I have always done lamb.

For the folks outside Northern PA / Southern NY area, Spedies are a Kebab marinated in a vinegar-based herb mixture. Commonly served on a slice of Italian bread. Pronounced "speedy" by most, they are a local favorite. There is now an event based on cooking these called "spiedie fest" coming up in a few weeks in Bingahamton NY (where I was born).

Buzzwinder
07-10-2011, 04:12 PM
Very few people from anything more than 100 miles away from you will know what spedies are. I have never tried Venison Spedies, I have always done lamb.

For the folks outside Northern PA / Southern NY area, Spedies are a Kebab marinated in a vinegar-based herb mixture. Commonly served on a slice of Italian bread. Pronounced "speedy" by most, they are a local favorite. There is now an event based on cooking these called "spiedie fest" coming up in a few weeks in Bingahamton NY (where I was born).
Looks great Slim Jim, Thanks for the definition on the spedies OB sounds and looks fantastic!

Slim Jim
07-12-2011, 09:28 PM
Thanks OB for the clarification. 'round here spedie is part of the daily vocabulary. We forget that outsiders don't know what we're talking about. We cube any cheap cut of meat into cubes, marinate it, grill and enjoy. Works great on lean cuts like venison, wild turkey, chicken breast. :thumbs up:

SmokyOkie
07-12-2011, 09:36 PM

I have always thought of them as an alternate term for a kabob and have also heard them called spiedini. I wonder where the term comes from.

SmokyOkie
07-12-2011, 09:37 PM
Here ya go:

The term "spiedie" comes from the Italian spiedo meaning spit or spiedini referring to cubes or balls of meat cooked on a skewer. The regional dish in Abruzzo, Italy most closely resembling spiedie uses goat meat, lamb, chicken or beef on a skewer, and is known as spidducc'. Another regional dish from Sicily, z˙zzu, consists of a gelatinous sausage made from the cartilage of pork and beef meat that is usually served cut into cubes.

jmcrig
07-18-2011, 08:01 PM

In the late seventies and early eighties, the Navy would send me back to Binghampton to the IBM plant. Spent most of my time at the original Drummers Pub, throwing darts and eating spedies. As I recall there was a little drive inn just east of downtown that specialized in Spedies. It also seemed that most all the bars had someone outside making Spedies.

Slim Jim
07-25-2011, 08:16 PM
Here's a little more info for you folks that don't know what a spiedie is all about! A whole darn weekend festival celebrating marinated, grilled meat!!

http://www.spiediefest.com/

:cheer: