PDA

View Full Version : A-Maze-N smoke generator

lazy
07-08-2011, 09:16 AM
This (http://www.amazenproducts.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=12) is what I used to generate smoke for my bacon attempt (http://www.theqjoint.com/forum/showthread.php?9578-I-done-did-it...).

I used the 6X6 sawdust unit. Todd didn't have the pellet units available when I bought mine.

This thing rocks!! In the little mini-fridge, it only elevated the temp by about 10 degrees.

Here it is filled with Bourbon Barrel & some left over hickory:
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b277/otisjr/forum%20picturues/P1020761.jpg
The biggest issue is to make sure you don't have the dust spilling over the dividers--the fire may jump rows if you do.

Here it is being lit with the torch Todd sells in his packages. Sucker gets good and hot for such a tiny thing. And by the way, when you pick up the AMNS after lighting, DON"T grab it where you just lit it. I had a perfectly imprinted blister of the AMNS on one of my fingers for about a week because I goofed...:
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b277/otisjr/forum%20picturues/P1020762.jpg

I'm lighting both ends to get a heavier smoke in a shorter time. You can light it as many times as you want, or put different dust in different rows and light each row for a mix. Lighting one end will get around 8 hours of smoke in the 6X6 uinit, more in the bigger ones. Reduce the expected time by the number of rows you light. DO NOT tamp the dust down like you're filling a pipe. You'll get a longer burn for sure, but it's not a pleasant burn. Gets acrid for some reason.
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b277/otisjr/forum%20picturues/P1020766.jpg

Here it is setting in the smoker. You can just see a wisp of smoke rising from each end:
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b277/otisjr/forum%20picturues/P1020769.jpg

If you want to stop smoking before all the dust is used, just use something to scrape the lit dust away from the non-lit. I use a plastic spoon, because it was laying on the counter... I tried smothering it by closing the intake/exhaust like you do a drum, but it didn't work. I assume it's because it needs so little oxygen for the dust to smolder, it takes it quite a while to use up the oxygen in my little fridge.

For you pelletheads, these are now available for use with pellets.

If you have any questions on the units, contact Todd. He's great at returning emails, knows his product and most importantly knows smokers--both the equipment and the users.

Oh yeah-- here's the way the dust comes packaged:
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b277/otisjr/forum%20picturues/P1020771.jpg

I don't know why somebody like Cabinetmaker couldn't generate his own sawdust. There's different suppliers of dust out there, and they all make a big thing about sanitary conditions when creating the sawdust, only using vegetable oil in the equipment, yadda yadda yadda. I'm thinking the amount of oil from the equipment that's actually picked up by the dust is infinitesimal, sorta like using a zink bolt in a UDS...

PigCicles
07-08-2011, 10:38 AM
I've seen those before, just not in person. Very nice write up on the unit. Have you tried to smoke any cheese yet?

Thanks for sharing it with us :thumbs up:

SmokyOkie
07-08-2011, 10:42 AM
Nice reciew LZ!

What is an AMNS?

PigCicles
07-08-2011, 11:01 AM
Nice reciew LZ!

What is an AMNS?

A - Maze - N smoke generator

:msn-wink:

lazy
07-08-2011, 11:01 AM
Nice reciew LZ!

What is an AMNS?

A-Maze-N Smoker...

PC, it's been too hot to try cheese, I think. It has a tendency to melt... It'll cool off sometime before next Easter I hope, and we always have a chunk or two of cheese in the fridge. Or I have a personal Cheese Monger who can hook me up with good choices as long as I'm willing to drive across town to Yuppie Foods.

BluDawg
07-08-2011, 01:09 PM
That is a pretty cool gizmo if you want to smoke cheese and your worried about a melt down place a pan of ice under the cheese that's how I do it. I have cold smoked cheese in 90 weather with no problems.:twocents:

SmokyOkie
07-08-2011, 02:36 PM
A-Maze-N Smoker...

PC, it's been too hot to try cheese, I think. It has a tendency to melt... It'll cool off sometime before next Easter I hope, and we always have a chunk or two of cheese in the fridge. Or I have a personal Cheese Monger who can hook me up with good choices as long as I'm willing to drive across town to Yuppie Foods.

I thought of that after I posted.

If you want to smoke some cheese in the heat, you are welcome to borrow my ice chest Smoke Pistol smoker.

Gotta love Whole Foods, best freak show and cheese department in Oklahoma!:roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0:

That is a pretty cool gizmo if you want to smoke cheese and your worried about a melt down place a pan of ice under the cheese that's how I do it. I have cold smoked cheese in 90 weather with no problems.:twocents:

But it's been over 105 here.:shrug:

lazy
07-08-2011, 03:53 PM
...Gotta love Whole Foods, best freak show and cheese department in Oklahoma!:roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0:

And they're all so earnest...

Actually, I better be nice. My oldest works there...

SmokyOkie
07-08-2011, 10:06 PM
And they're all so earnest...

Actually, I better be nice. My oldest works there...

More like "Ernest" :roflmaoha0:

I'm gonna try to remember that he works there so that I don't put my foot in my mouth...well at least not any more than normal.

He doesn't have a sideshow Bob haircut with wooden beads in it, hoops in his earlobes and a 6" spike through his septum does he?:shrug:

lazy
07-09-2011, 09:35 AM
More like "Ernest" :roflmaoha0:

I'm gonna try to remember that he works there so that I don't put my foot in my mouth...well at least not any more than normal.

He doesn't have a sideshow Bob haircut with wooden beads in it, hoops in his earlobes and a 6" spike through his septum does he?:shrug:

My first thought was, "didn't I spell that right?", then it hit me. Yeah, "Ernest" does exist in there, too. Along with LaMar, I think, and the Uneasy Rider, and, and, just pretty much every bit of society in existence... It's quite a show every time I stop in there.

No, she looks pretty normal right now. Had to cut her dreads for her other job. If she's behind the cheese counter you don't notice the tattoo running across her foot and up her ankle... And the guy with the the spike through his septum is actually a pretty nice guy, and does some awesome paintings.... They shared a booth at Blue Dome this year.

SmokyOkie
07-09-2011, 12:13 PM
If she works at the cheese counter then not only have I met her, but I prolly see her on a regular basis. How could I tell which one she is?

the guy with the spike seemed like a nice guy, but I think you would prolly agree his appearance is definitely freaky.

lazy
07-09-2011, 06:22 PM
She's the one you haven't seen in the last 3 weeks. She is taking an interim college course--9 hours a day, 5 days a week, with homework to keep her busy the rest of the time. They're workin' 'em hard. She has 2 more weeks left, I think.

Short dark hair, 5'9 or so, and she's not the skinny one... Very personable (must've come from her grandparents:roflmaoha0:...), and I think there's two or three in there with the same name. She was a cashier to start with, then went to the juice bar, then ended as a chees monger.

SmokyOkie
07-09-2011, 10:23 PM
I think I know which one she is. Nice looking girl!

5'9" isn't very short though. You must have a tall family.

lazy
07-10-2011, 11:26 AM
I think I know which one she is. Nice looking girl!

5'9" isn't very short though. You must have a tall family.

???? Read previous post again. No comma. "Short dark hair"..., not "short, dark hair"...

But yeah, she is the shortest in the family...

SmokyOkie
07-10-2011, 11:52 AM
Gotcha!

peculiarmike
07-11-2011, 05:23 AM
They let us sample any cheese we wanted the day the Okie and I stopped in. And some were VERY good. Not cheap, but VERY good.
Were a coupla "different" folks in there.

I like the smoker! Novel idea using the dust.

lazy
07-11-2011, 11:09 AM
Yeah, I usually sample a couple when I'm in. My daughter is embarrassed at my pedestrian taste in cheese. I'm just as happy with a sharp cheddar or colby as with any of the high-falutin' stuff.

Although at Christmas last year, she had some real soft, tangy, white cheese that she put on crisp bread, along with a dallop of red raspberry jam. It was absolutely habit forming! Awesome combination of flavor and textures...

SmokyOkie
07-11-2011, 11:14 AM
Yeah, I usually sample a couple when I'm in. My daughter is embarrassed at my pedestrian taste in cheese. I'm just as happy with a sharp cheddar or colby as with any of the high-falutin' stuff.

Although at Christmas last year, she had some real soft, tangy, white cheese that she put on crisp bread, along with a dallop of red raspberry jam. It was absolutely habit forming! Awesome combination of flavor and textures...

Do you like butter? If so, try the St Andre next time your are there.