PDA

View Full Version : Chargriller gasket?

tsunami_tommy
06-28-2008, 03:31 PM
Anyone have any ideas on sealing a chargriller. I loose a lot of heat and smoke through the doors. I was trying to think of some kind of material that could work as a gasket much like on a fridge door. I just can't think on anything that could handle the temps.

Any ideas, or anyone else conquor the problem in another way?

Fatback Joe
06-28-2008, 03:53 PM
http://www.gasketsinc.com/

Plenty of high temp gaskets and ropes available.

Hope that helps, good luck.

PigCicles
06-28-2008, 04:25 PM
I've seen flat gaskets used (see Fatbacks link) and mounted to angle iron ran around the perimeter of the chamber. That would be one way to do it.

Another would be to use flat steel around the perimeter of the lid to slide down inside the bottom section to form an overlapping sealed edge. Can be bolted or welded in that way.

mwthomas
06-28-2008, 07:14 PM
go to your local hardware store and buy hi- temp rope gasket like they use on modern wood heaters. you can glue it 2 the door with hi-temp gasket sealer.

SmokyOkie
07-14-2008, 02:38 PM
Tommy,
Your CG as well as most offsets depend on constant air flow to function properly. That's why most manufacturers recommend cooking with the stack totally open. If you cook with the stack open, you will be loosing more heat through the stack than around the lid.

If you are having trouble getting up to temp, first make sure that you build you fire at the height of the upper grate in the fire box. the next step would be to insulate the cooking chamber, but that should only be necessary in high wind, heavy rain or extreme cold situations.

glued2it
07-14-2008, 03:26 PM
go to your local hardware store and buy hi- temp rope gasket like they use on modern wood heaters. you can glue it 2 the door with hi-temp gasket sealer.

Sweet!
Then after your done it will be glued2it:msn-wink:

mwthomas
07-14-2008, 05:10 PM
Jeremy, I wondered when I said that if you would rearrange the words. You did. BTW I went back to work today. Need another vacation!