PDA

View Full Version : How do you sauce your entries?

SmokyOkie
06-25-2011, 03:42 PM
It's understandable that some might not want to share info on this subject, but in the spirit of helping our developing competition teams, what sauce do you use and how and when do you apply it fo which meats?

I like a 2 parts Head Country/1 part Blues Hog mix with about a TBS Tabasco Chipotle for back end heat.

I apply it after the cooking is done. I think it looks and tastes better if it doesn't go back into the smoker, but I do preheat it for about 45 minutes before I put it on. I use this for chix and ribs both.

As for pork, well that's different.

I'll save that for another post.

iBQ'n
06-26-2011, 04:45 PM
I can't share my current recipe yet...:)

But I have taken a walk in ribs using Spicewine's Blue Collar BBQ sauce heated up and applied after the ribs were cooked and cut.

SmokyOkie
06-26-2011, 04:50 PM
I'll have to try some of it out.

thanx for the tip rich!

Bubblehead
06-26-2011, 06:15 PM
I've never competed but I like to finish ribs with some Deb's cut with apple cider vinegar and one chipolte (in adobo and minced into a paste), add the extras and cook down a bit to let things get to know each other)

SmokyOkie
06-26-2011, 09:43 PM
What is Deb's?

Joneser
06-27-2011, 10:48 AM
I'm the ribs and Pork guy and I generally use a BHO and BH Tennessee Red mixture with a couple other things added in. I usually set the glaze on the smoker and do the bone side on the cutting board. I'll use the drippings with a brush on the sides of the rib just before they go in the box.

Butt Lover's
06-27-2011, 02:19 PM
I do what you do Tim, except sub a little cayenne for the tabasco.

SmokyOkie
06-27-2011, 02:24 PM
Gotta stress that I use Tabasco Chipotle

I like it for its flavor as well as heat. I like its heat because it is very much back end heat.

It's also easy to measure. I just use the little ketchup like packets that the Great Maerican folks gave me a sackful of.

Fatback Joe
06-27-2011, 03:21 PM
My ratios are a little different, but that is essentially what I do as well for a sauce mix.

I do add a little sweetness in the form of honey/agave for the chicken and ribs.

One thing that I feel has shown up in the scores is how I apply the sauce......especially on chicken. I use a squeeze bottle for the sauce vs a brush or dunking. Seems like when I use the bottle, I score better......:shrug:

Butt Lover's
06-27-2011, 04:19 PM
Seems like when I use the bottle, I score better......:shrug:

Me too!:drunk_smiley:

chef schwantz
06-27-2011, 05:02 PM
Well, I've seen a few things here I might need to try, but anyhow, this is how I am currently doing mine. I heat up some SBR original with some butter, maple syrup, and my own sauce, which is vinegary with a kick, and apply twice, once on the heat with about 5 mins to go, and then just before I put them in the box, using a fine bristle brush.

Bubblehead
06-27-2011, 05:24 PM
What is Deb's?

http://debsribs.com/store/index.php3

SmokyOkie
06-27-2011, 09:03 PM
My ratios are a little different, but that is essentially what I do as well for a sauce mix.

I do add a little sweetness in the form of honey/agave for the chicken and ribs.

One thing that I feel has shown up in the scores is how I apply the sauce......especially on chicken. I use a squeeze bottle for the sauce vs a brush or dunking. Seems like when I use the bottle, I score better......:shrug:

Me too!:drunk_smiley:

If you squirt it on with a squeeze bottle, how do you smooth it out?

Fatback Joe
06-28-2011, 07:20 AM

I let gravity do the trick.

After the first run off, I hit any spots that look light/missed and put it back in the smoker to set up a bit.

Really, I think it comes down to me keeping my hands off of things. When I am using a squirt bottle, I don't mess with things as much as when I have a brush in my hand and feel compelled to try to "fix" every little blemish.

iBQ'n
06-28-2011, 05:22 PM
I let gravity do the trick.

After the first run off, I hit any spots that look light/missed and put it back in the smoker to set up a bit.

Really, I think it comes down to me keeping my hands off of things. When I am using a squirt bottle, I don't mess with things as much as when I have a brush in my hand and feel compelled to try to "fix" every little blemish.

Yeah them brushes can screw with you. I personally only use a brush on my ribs.

Butt Lover's
06-29-2011, 07:49 AM

I thought he meant he scores better when he hits the bottle...I hit the Jack Daniels Honey!

I dunk my chicken. But I suck at chicken, so I wouldn't copy anything I do.

O B City
06-29-2011, 11:43 AM
Seems like when I use the bottle, I score better......:shrug:

But do you still think that the next morning?

Fatback Joe
06-29-2011, 12:04 PM
I thought he meant he scores better when he hits the bottle.

I have trouble with the concept of moderation.

But do you still think that the next morning?

:msn-wink: Not usually.