PDA

View Full Version : 1st Cook using New Performer

Pappy
06-23-2011, 08:45 PM
Grilled some burgers & brats for the 1st cook on the new Weber Performer. Like the way it feels. Only problem so far is the tool hooks. They are so thick, none of my tools that I like to use fit over the jumbo plastic hook. I either need new tools or a skinnier hook. Maybe, a hook on a hook. I also wish it had a paper towel roll holder on it. These may be my 1st mods. I let the charcoal burn off slowly to see how long the 2 trays would last at 225. The pretend slow & low went good for about 4 hours. Starting to drop.

http://i1117.photobucket.com/albums/k591/Pappy1954/1st%20Performer%20Cook/IMG_3337.jpg
http://i1117.photobucket.com/albums/k591/Pappy1954/1st%20Performer%20Cook/IMG_3336.jpg

burgers & brats

Vermin99
06-23-2011, 09:06 PM
Looking good!!! I ditched the charcoal trays for my Performer

oaksmoke
06-23-2011, 09:09 PM
Lookin' good. Where's the plated pics?

SmokyOkie
06-23-2011, 09:53 PM
Tie some leather thong into a loop through the holes in the tools and hang the hoop on the hook. A zip tie works well too, but doesn't look as good.

BYBBQ
06-23-2011, 09:55 PM
lookin' good

Pappy
06-23-2011, 10:05 PM
Looking good!!! I ditched the charcoal trays for my Performer

How come? I thought they were pretty cool. It made it have zones of heat. Hot spot, not so hot spot.

Vermin99
06-23-2011, 10:09 PM
I just bank the coals to one side no baskets needed.

oaksmoke
06-23-2011, 10:11 PM
How come? I thought they were pretty cool. It made it have zones of heat. Hot spot, not so hot spot.
I use mine all the time on performer, look at some of my posts. Very convenient, and saves on charcoal.
Just shake ash out on next cook, top off w/charcoal, place over burner-bam, Ready to cook in 10-15 min.
Place 2 holders together in center for direct grillin', place holders at edges for indirect, etc., etc., etc.

BluDawg
06-23-2011, 10:31 PM
Pappy I gonna have pity on you and take you under my wing. If the tools don't fit the hooks that is a great reason to buy some new tools.

Heres the skinny on the charcoal baskets; They look good on paper. Without them you can bank your coals to one or both sides and load in twice as much charcoal for increased burn times or build a banked 3 zone fire for direct cooking.
Now those burgers and brats are looking choice but finished pix are my crack:msn-wink:

Pappy
06-24-2011, 07:12 AM
Pappy I gonna have pity on you and take you under my wing. If the tools don't fit the hooks that is a great reason to buy some new tools.

New tools! That did cross my mind a few times.

Heres the skinny on the charcoal baskets; They look good on paper. Without them you can bank your coals to one or both sides and load in twice as much charcoal for increased burn times or build a banked 3 zone fire for direct cooking.
Now those burgers and brats are looking choice but finished pix are my crack:msn-wink:

Tasted good. It wasn't a nice looking supper. Just slap it on a plate and shove it down your neck. Had to be somewhere by 6:00

I'll be taking some pics on the 4th. 40 lbs of pulled pork & 4 fatty's & brats & hotdogs for kiddy's.

What ia a "banked 3 zone fire"?

BluDawg
06-24-2011, 08:07 AM

What ia a "banked 3 zone fire"?
A banked 3 zone fire is one that has 3 different temperature zones, screaming hot,med and warm and provides a cold zone as well. To build it pour 1 chimney of lit coals up against 1 side of the kettle. Pour 1/2 of another next to it and the other 1/2 spread out next to that. Now you have a high, a med and a low and a no fire zone. This is great for direct grilling say your cooking steaks you have an area to sere(high) and if you need to do some rare and some med or well. You start by sering the well and med then move the med to the low coals and put the well over the med coals. As the med get done they can be moved to the no fire area to stay warm and the well can move to the low coals and the rare on th the high to sere when the sere is done move the well to the cold zone to stay warm and the rare moves to the med. Then they all come off the same time and you look like a super pit master able to serve every one a perfect steak at the same time.:msn-wink:

Toast
06-24-2011, 04:27 PM
Nice looking rig and cook. I had the same problem with tools. I just took some leather boot laces and looped them through the tool handles. They will go stiff in a dishwasher though. Just wash by hand.

Good Luck! :thumbs up:

Pappy
06-24-2011, 05:56 PM
Just wash by hand.

Good Luck! :thumbs up:

I'll make sure the wife does that. :roflmaoha0:

Toast
06-24-2011, 06:18 PM
I'll make sure the wife does that. :roflmaoha0:

That's the way I Roll too Brother! :roflmaoha0:

SmokyOkie
06-24-2011, 09:14 PM