PDA

View Full Version : Bitterballen

SmokebyKel
06-12-2011, 07:12 AM
I've been asked to post the recipe for bitterballen by a few folks so here it is. This is the basic recipe so You can deviate from here. Bitterballen can be made from beef, pork, chicken, or hamburger. When I made them for the Valpo and Grand events I used smoked chuck roast.

Basic Recipe makes 35 to 40 balls

3 Tbl butter
5 Tbl flour
1C chicken broth
1/2 pound cold cooked veal, shredded
1 Tbl finely chopped parsley
1/2 tsp salt
Freshly ground black pepper
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce

Oil for deep frying
2 eggs
1/2C fine dry breadcrumbs

Heat the butter in a sauce pan, add the flour and cook, stirring for 2 minutes. Gradually add the broth, stirring constantly until a thick paste is formed. Add the veal, parsley, salt, pepper and Worcestershire and combine thoroughly.

Spread the mixture in a deep plate and refrigerate for at least two hours or overnight for best results.

Form the veal mixture into 1" balls. I use a small melon baller for this. Crack eggs and make an egg wash. Roll the balls into the breadcrumbs, dip the balls into the egg wash then roll into the breadcrumbs again. Refrigerate until ready to fry.

Heat oil to 350 degrees. Deep fry a few balls at a time until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.

Enjoy

chadd17
06-12-2011, 08:34 AM
:sign0092: Those were really good. Gonna try them next weekend. :thumbs up:

BluDawg
06-12-2011, 09:09 AM
Hmmm, new use for Brisket Point and Pulled Pork:sign0092:

PigCicles
06-12-2011, 03:51 PM
I thought I was gonna have to drag it out of ya Glen. Thanks for sharing the recipe. These things are the bomb!
:Drool2: :Drool2::Drool2:

SmokyOkie
06-12-2011, 04:10 PM
I will attest to the fact that they were delicious.

Kinda like a meat hush puppy.:thumbs up::thumbs up:

tomshoots
06-12-2011, 05:00 PM
I saw the pics. I thought they were hushpuppies!

chef schwantz
06-12-2011, 05:21 PM
I was wondering about them.:thumbs up: