PDA

View Full Version : Charbroil grill won't shut down

Arneba28
06-08-2011, 07:22 PM
Bought a charbroil charcoal medium sized grill a while back. The whole tme I have had it I can't get it to shutdown even with the lid and vents closed.

I have been looking at a kingsford784 sqin and like the size and look but want to know if this one shuts down. I'm going through alot of lump just to cook on my charbroil. And dont want the kingsford to do the same thing if I get it. Anyone know anything about this one

oaksmoke
06-08-2011, 08:45 PM
Buy a 22" Weber Kettle, you won't regret it!

O B City
06-08-2011, 09:36 PM
Bought a charbroil charcoal medium sized grill a while back. The whole tme I have had it I can't get it to shutdown even with the lid and vents closed.

I have been looking at a kingsford784 sqin and like the size and look but want to know if this one shuts down. I'm going through alot of lump just to cook on my charbroil. And dont want the kingsford to do the same thing if I get it. Anyone know anything about this one

Build a small (but hot) fire, put wet wood chips on, and close it up. Wherever the smoke leaks out, you are leaking air in during shutdown. Once you know where it is leaking (edge of lid, vents, screw holes) post back here.

SmokyOkie
06-08-2011, 09:37 PM
I have never cooked on the Kingsford grills, but having looked them over pretty closely, I seriously doubt that you will be able to smother the coals when done cooking.

the Weber will, and most of the ceramic grille (Kamado, Green Egg, Primo, etc). The new Backwoods grills will too, but they are a little more spensive.

BluDawg
06-08-2011, 09:57 PM
Weber One touch gold 22" or a 26" if you can afford it. I looked at a Kingsford today in China Mart they are not bad for the money but I could see lots of room for improvement and you are 2/3 the cost of a 26" Weber that is guaranteed to be 100% reliable.

Vermin99
06-08-2011, 10:38 PM
Like everyone else said, get a Weber. I can almost guarantee you that the Weber Kettle will last you at least 10 years if you put a minimal amount of effort into taking care of it.

Joneser
06-09-2011, 06:55 AM
I have a Char-Broil 26" Kettle and have the same problem. They are too loose to completely shut down and save the lump. I have to agree with the rest, a Weber would be your best bet. I'd skip the Kingsford.

chef schwantz
06-09-2011, 08:57 AM
Can't go wrong with a Weber.

SmokyOkie
06-09-2011, 09:45 AM
Or a Backwoods Pit Bull (http://www.backwoodsok.com/pitbull.html) :blushing:

I know, I know....shameless.:shrug:

Arneba28
06-09-2011, 10:31 AM
Thanks guys. That's what I figured was that I would be going with a webber. My roommate dOesnt like the look of them but I think he's crazy

PigCicles
06-09-2011, 10:34 AM

If you want to try to solve the problem with the Charbroil follow what OB City said and we'll try to give ya some pointers on how to seal it up.

You may want to use a smaller fire pile if you're wasting a lot of charcoal. Some grills are just so cheaply made or designed not to seal up that you can't just shut them down - they go until everything is burned and gone.

If you are in the market for another grill, definitely consider the Weber brand in your price range. Others are out there in all price ranges - let us know how much you're willing to spend and we'll make some recommendations.

Let us know buster, we're glad to help

chef schwantz
06-09-2011, 04:02 PM
Thanks guys. That's what I figured was that I would be going with a webber. My roommate dOesnt like the look of them but I think he's crazy

You get a Weber 22.5, and cook on it a few times, and you will be wondering why the &#^@ you put up with that other kettle for so long.

SmokyOkie
06-09-2011, 09:36 PM
You get a Weber 22.5, and cook on it a few times, and you will be wondering why the &#^@ you put up with that other kettle for so long.

Agreed, the only kettle to buy is Weber.

But then there are other grills besides kettles.

Vermin99
06-09-2011, 10:51 PM
But then there are other grills besides kettles.

There are???

cabinetmaker
06-10-2011, 07:10 AM
I own several webers. They are great. Properly tuned they work almost as well as fuel injection.:roflmaoha0:

SmokyOkie
06-10-2011, 03:10 PM
There are???

D@ If you should ever cook on a Hasty Bake or one of the new Backwoods Charcoal grills, you would throw rocks at your kettle.:msn-wink:

oaksmoke
06-10-2011, 09:13 PM
D@ If you should ever cook on a Hasty Bake or one of the new Backwoods Charcoal grills, you would throw rocks at your kettle.:msn-wink:

The only thing I'm throwing on my kettle is the cover, after it's cooled down, the meal is served, dishes are washed, while Hasty Bake or Backwoods is still coming up to cooking temp. with 3 times the amount of charcoal!
Hasty Bake and Backwoods are awesome grills from what I've seen, but Weber Kettle is "The all time Classic American Grill", and best bang for the buck by far!

SmokyOkie
06-10-2011, 09:45 PM
The only thing I'm throwing on my kettle is the cover, after it's cooled down, the meal is served, dishes are washed, while Hasty Bake or Backwoods is still coming up to cooking temp. with 3 times the amount of charcoal!
Hasty Bake and Backwoods are awesome grills from what I've seen, but Weber Kettle is "The all time Classic American Grill", and best bang for the buck by far!

the Hasty bake does not save charcoal that well, but the backwoods charcoal grills ( not the smokers. have you seen the charcoal grills?) do every bit as good a job as a Weber kettle, and they fire up quicker.

I can be grilling a steak in less than ten minutes after I start the fire, and with less charcoal than a 22" kettle. In fact, my B'woods Pit Bull used less charcoal than my 18" Smoky Joe.

I won't argue the part about for the money, but then hey, sometimes the finer things in life cost a little more.

I can do things with the Backwoods or the Hasty Bake that you couldn't even begin to do with a kettle.

Being able to raise and lower the fire grate is a very powerful tool.

BYBBQ
06-11-2011, 06:55 AM
The Hasty bake and the Backwoods are great grills, but lets talk reality about buying a grill. You would have to be a serious griller to buy either one of those grills. Those are in the price range of a BGE or Primo ceramic and in the case of the backwoods grill it's higher than a large BGE with some accessories.
A person can buy a 22" Webber kettle Gold with a couple accessories for $200 and have a great grill that will last for years or spend $800 for the HB or $1400 for the Backwoods.
The average person isn't going to spend $800 to $1400 +++ on a grill. Heck most don't even spend $200 for the kettle, they buy real cheap grill made by whoever at WalMart.

oaksmoke
06-11-2011, 08:53 AM
I want a Hasty Bake Stainless.
Awesome cooker for sure!

SmokyOkie
06-11-2011, 09:44 AM
I can get you a 10% discount, maybe more.

Which model are you thinking about?

oaksmoke
06-11-2011, 09:41 PM
I can get you a 10% discount, maybe more.

Which model are you thinking about?

What model do you use, or recommed.
This is not a purchase I plan on making anytime soon, but if I decide to pull the trigger, you'll get first crack at the sale!

SmokyOkie
06-11-2011, 09:42 PM
I have a Legacy.

I think it is the best all around unless you go with a Fiesta built in or a Hastings.