PDA

View Full Version : Zippy Pickles

Willkat98
06-25-2008, 07:51 PM
Trying the old pickle with a kick this week.

Unfortunately, I didnt do the shopping.

Asked for the big 32oz+ jar of kosher dills and bread and butters pickles, but received 16oz B&B pickles and 16oz dill sandwich slicers.

But I did get 4 large fresh jalepenos, for the bigger jars.

What's an experiment without a little excitement.

Each jar got 2 japs each, quartered, seeds and all, dated on top with a marker.

Daughter was into the dills on the second day, but I'm reserving the B&B as long as possible.

Had a little taste tonight (1 slice) and these sweet things are picking up the heat nicely. Had 2 on a burger last night.

I think doubling down on the japs per oz. ratio is speeding the process. Should take only a week + instead of 3 weeks.

Next time, I'll do the large jars, and hide them in the basement!!!

Pictures upon full fermentaion

PhillyMike
06-26-2008, 06:34 AM
there is a bbq joint called famous dave's around here that server hellfire pickles. they are very sweet and after a few seconds they let you know they have a kick!

I wonder if what you are doing is the same?

sounds gud!

Teaser
06-26-2008, 06:58 AM
I do something similar by adding hot pepper juice to the pickle jar. Love pickles that bite back!

-dave

Willkat98
06-26-2008, 08:04 AM
there is a bbq joint called famous dave's around here that server hellfire pickles. they are very sweet and after a few seconds they let you know they have a kick!

sounds gud!

FD just opened an outlet here.

Now I'll have to try them!

Thanks!

PigCicles
06-26-2008, 10:41 AM

sounds gud!

Those hellfire pickles sound like they would go well with the hot wings I had the other day. Made with the 3rd hottest sauce in the world (one drop per wing) :wow: - they're hot and I LIKE 'em.

glued2it
06-26-2008, 10:51 AM
When I used to make pickles I would take a jap and poke holes in it for each jar.

They were pretty good. I also like to get the van holten's Hot Mama(spicy hot).
They are the the large individually wrapped pickles.

I never really though of adding heat to regular pickles.

The wife always buys the gallon of Best maid's and a smaller jar of clausen's pickles.

She won't eat the bread n butter ones but i like them.

Willkat98
06-26-2008, 12:43 PM
I never really though of adding heat to regular pickles.

I'm testing 1 each day (the BnB) and giving both jars a good shake every day to mix things up.

With each day, there is a noticeable incremental increase with the "after zing" you get from the heat. The initial zing is the tart vinegar itself.

I like the poking holes idea, because quartering them has the seeds disbursed in the jar.

No big deal on the dills, you see the seed, but on the BnB, those little farkers look like the mustard seeds that are in the brine. Zing!

Willkat98
06-29-2008, 01:34 AM
One week, and they got a good zip.

Cant try them daily anymore, not enough of a day to day change.

Need to lay off them a week

Willkat98
07-04-2008, 07:42 AM
Holy chit!!!

12 days for the dill's, and they are HOT!!!!

Had to remove the jap quarters and put into the B&B's

Getting low on them too.

Gonna use the pickle juice as a loin brine.

PigCicles
07-04-2008, 08:45 AM
So how long would you recommend leaving the peppers in? Or do you recommend using a milder heat source? And how hot is HOT - would it be HOT to me or are you just a sissy??? :monkey:

Willkat98
07-05-2008, 09:53 PM
from a previous post of yours, I think you would call them mild.

You probably could take using a hotter pepper.

I have hears your supposed to wait 2 weeks minimum, we just had no patience.

Hey, I just realized that I picked and packed pickled peppers!

Just call me Peter Piper

Chargrilled
07-05-2008, 11:33 PM
no pics didnt happen

Fatback Joe
07-07-2008, 07:05 AM
Just call me Peter Piper

Ok, I think I can remember to change Puffer to Piper.........:msn-wink:

SmokyOkie
07-07-2008, 01:55 PM

sounds gud!

Actually, they only think they sell BBQ, but the pickles are great.

FD just opened an outlet here.

Now I'll have to try them!

Thanks!

BYOQ and just get the pickles.

Hot B&Bs are one of my faves.

When we are lucky enough to have the Okette make a batch of her home made baby dills, she always does about half of them with 2 or 3 sliced japs in them. We like the japs as well as the pickles.

Siesta Man
01-15-2009, 09:59 AM
Trying the old pickle with a kick this week.

Unfortunately, I didnt do the shopping.

Asked for the big 32oz+ jar of kosher dills and bread and butters pickles, but received 16oz B&B pickles and 16oz dill sandwich slicers.

But I did get 4 large fresh jalepenos, for the bigger jars.

What's an experiment without a little excitement.

Each jar got 2 japs each, quartered, seeds and all, dated on top with a marker.

Daughter was into the dills on the second day, but I'm reserving the B&B as long as possible.

Had a little taste tonight (1 slice) and these sweet things are picking up the heat nicely. Had 2 on a burger last night.

I think doubling down on the japs per oz. ratio is speeding the process. Should take only a week + instead of 3 weeks.

Next time, I'll do the large jars, and hide them in the basement!!!

Pictures upon full fermentaion

Hi Willkat, I have a twist on the zippy pickles using only Jalapenos.

Slice your japs into wheelsabout 1/4" thick and set aside.
Make a sweet pickle brine and bring to boiling and add japs. When it come back to a boil turn heat down and simmer for 5 mins.
Transfer to jars and if you will be using them fairly soon, refridgerate after they cool.
If you will be storing them, give the jars a waterbath just like any canning procedure.
You will have the sweet pickle and japs flavor followed by a little heat.
Good stuff Maynard. enjoy E.T.

MRH IA
01-15-2009, 03:35 PM
Here is a good recipe for a pickle that is a bit zippy. A little sweet with a horseradish bite. Real simple to make.

1-gallon dill pickles drained and sliced
1-cup water
1-1/2 cup vinegar
4-cups sugar
1-10 oz. jar horseradish

Mix water, vinegar, and sugar the heat on the stove until sugar dissolves. Cool off the mixture and add the horseradish and mix it. After you have all the pickles sliced put them back in the original jar, and add the cooled mixture to them. Place them in the refrigerator for a week then they are ready to eat. You can eat them sooner but the will be more flavorful if you wait

Mark

Jake
01-15-2009, 04:01 PM
oh man i can see the look on my kids faces when they go to grab a pickle and bite into one of these babys, thinking they were just your average pickle :roflmaoha0::shrug::blushing:

SmokyOkie
01-15-2009, 05:07 PM
Two or three jalapeņos would sure give them a nice zip as well.. Interesting, never thought about horseradish and Japs togther.....Oh crap, there goes the food A.D.D. again!:tap:

GoFish
01-15-2009, 06:52 PM
If you need a quick fix of zippy pickles and didn't have time to prep your own batch ........ these guys make good 'zippy' pickles & relish. I will pick them up on my way to watch the game instead of showing up with chips like everyone else.

http://www.wicklespickles.com/products.php

An ingedient that no one has mentioned yet is GARLIC. In the link you can see the garlic chunks at the bottom of the jars. These folks don't use Jap's, they use whole little red peppers.

I may try making my own now!

Willkat98
01-15-2009, 07:49 PM
Thanks for the link Randy.

You are lucky!

Southern Maryland, and you get Wickles!!

I was turned onto Wickles years ago on a Yahoo board by a guy in Tuscaloosa AL.

Good stuff.

Do you get Jack's Relish my you? They are in Maine, and the upper north east.

The Hot relish makes a plan burger a "to die for" burger

http://www.jackspickles.com/

SmokyOkie
01-15-2009, 10:34 PM
Thanx for the link Randy! I'll need to try some.

We get these at the grocery store Gedney's (http://www.gedneypickle.com/index.cfm/go/products.detail/itemID/17900SF)

they used ti have the thick sliced ones. These are thin sliced. They're likely better for sammies and such, but for just eating, I sure liked the thick ones better.

GoFish
01-15-2009, 10:54 PM
I haven't seen Jacks or Gendys down here in 'no-mans land', MD. And I am always keeping an eye out for something new.

Wickles are thick cut, they are real good too .... damn near perfect!

I will still give the homemade recipe a try, add some garlic & red pepper & see what happens. See how long it takes the fellas at the Super Bowl party to figure it out.

...... hmmm, what to smoke for the big game????

SmokyOkie
01-15-2009, 11:06 PM
I haven't seen Jacks or Gendys down here in 'no-mans land', MD. And I am always keeping an eye out for something new.

Wickles are thick cut, they are real good too .... damn near perfect!

I will still give the homemade recipe a try, add some garlic & red pepper & see what happens. See how long it takes the fellas at the Super Bowl party to figure it out.

...... hmmm, what to smoke for the big game????

ABT's filled with creamcheese, mascarpone cheese, basil, garlic and sun dried tomatoes, terriyaki chicken wings, and pig candy w/ NM chili powder.

Are the Wickles bread 'n' butter flaor, or just sweet pickle flavor?

GoFish
01-15-2009, 11:40 PM
I would say just sweet, there is no indication on the label. It is a unique tatse.

Now if I could find some Seltzer sweet bolagna here ......

SmokyOkie
01-16-2009, 02:35 PM
Do they not list any retailers in you area?

If they don't, you might call them anyway. They don't list any in Okla, but there is at least one place here that sells it.

GoFish
01-16-2009, 05:56 PM
Do they not list any retailers in you area?

Just WallyMart, and I dont get to the one with 'cold food' much. Who knows what they have to be honest. When I get there I'll keep my eyes open though!

SmokyOkie
01-16-2009, 08:45 PM
I'd do without before I'd go to Walmart to get some.:msn-wink:

BA_LoKo
01-16-2009, 10:02 PM

Live Better, Save Money :misbehaving: :roflmaoha0:

SmokyOkie
01-16-2009, 10:19 PM
I'll live better without.:msn-wink:

Jake
01-16-2009, 11:00 PM

I'll live better without.:msn-wink:

i gotta answer both with one reply, AMEN, i knew i liked you for a reason.....
enter bill again so we can get into the debate.... wait for it... :msn-wink: Walmart sucks... i wonder why all there chit is recalled.... china comes to mind :shrug:
whats for chow tonight melonite and ....... oh not sure:twocents: no wonder the economy stinks we make other places profit to save a buck, yet there is no rules for what they send us.:twocents: :blushing: i'll pay a extra 20 bucks even, my family is worth it. now i will just read the comments and leave it at that :thumbs up: i hope :blushing: