PDA

View Full Version : My plan for smoking some butts for a BBQ

truckmann
05-24-2011, 04:06 PM
I'm planning on smoking several pork butts for some pulled pork to serve at a BBQ I'm hosting in a few weeks and just wanted to pick the brains of the forum on my plans.

I will be using this little smoker here, which belongs to a friend of mine that inherited it and hasn't had much chance to really use it yet. It is built with a water jacket in front of the fire box that is connected to a steam pipe inside the cook chamber.

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n214/truckmann/Smoker/IMG00263.jpg

I was figuring on loading it up with some de-barked blackjack oak for the main fuel and possibly using some hickory for a little more flavor. I plan to use a dry rub recipe that my friend has on the butts cook them for 10-12 hours. I may also employ the use of my little pump sprayer and some apple juice.

I want to have them done early enough to let them rest in a cooler for at least a couple of hours before being pulled to serve. I'm undecided if it's worth the effort to wrap them in foil after a few hours of smoke. I've done a couple of butts in my UDS without foil and they turned out great, but I'm willing to listen to any advice from the experts.

SmokyOkie
05-24-2011, 04:14 PM
I would foil. If for no other reason, it will increase your ability to hold at temp.

My experience with blackjack oak is that while it has a lot of heat, it is hard to get it to maintain a flame. Have you used it before?

I had half a cord several years ago, and no matter how long I let it season, the only way I could get a flame with it was to add it to a fire of other woods.

truckmann
05-24-2011, 04:22 PM
I haven't used the Blackjack before, just happen to have a lot of it available. We could also use some lump coal along with the oak as a base if it will help regulate temp.

Joneser
05-24-2011, 04:32 PM
Foil for sure...not sure on the wood. Good Luck with your cook!

SmokyOkie
05-24-2011, 09:52 PM
I haven't used the Blackjack before, just happen to have a lot of it available. We could also use some lump coal along with the oak as a base if it will help regulate temp.

Given my experience with blackjack, it will make a lot of heavy smoke unless it is in a really hot fire, prolly hotter that you want to burn. I wouldn't use it unless you have tried it out on a smaller cook first.

Personally, I wouldn't use it at all.

truckmann
05-25-2011, 07:50 PM
I'll try to test out the blackjack before the the big cook and be prepared with a backup plan. A google search had lead me to believe it was a really good wood to smoke with as long as it is well seasoned. Maybe the blackjack down in Texas and Florida is different than around here. That's where most of the favorable info was coming from.

CircleHFarm
05-25-2011, 10:37 PM
I do live in Florida, but we use blackjack regularly. I would say it does have a stronger flavor then other oaks, we have used.

SmokyOkie
05-26-2011, 09:47 AM
I'll try to test out the blackjack before the the big cook and be prepared with a backup plan. A google search had lead me to believe it was a really good wood to smoke with as long as it is well seasoned. Maybe the blackjack down in Texas and Florida is different than around here. That's where most of the favorable info was coming from.

There have been a few discussions on the subject of cooking with oak here on the forum. What I have gleaned from them is that there must be differences in the wood form one area to another. I don't know if it is climate, soil factors or what, but I have burnt a lot of red oak from this area, and for the most part, I wouldn't want to cook with them. I do like post oak though...in moderate applications.

My only concern with blackjack is whether or not you can maintain a good flame with it.

truckmann
06-16-2011, 10:41 PM
Results are here!
http://www.theqjoint.com/forum/showthread.php?9423-6-butts-for-a-BBQ&p=114091#post114091