PDA

View Full Version : Little Cheese action

SmokinTexas
06-22-2008, 03:48 PM
It is darn hard to keep the smoker real low, as in below 200 in Texas during the summer, but it worked out well.

Wife really likes this stuff so we did again, makes great grilled cheese/turkey sandwiches and great quesadilla too.

Blocks of Marbled Chedder and a Block of Mozzerella

before
http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm117/smokintexas/062108smoke/100_085d.jpg

after
http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm117/smokintexas/062108smoke/100_0862.jpg

Fatback Joe
06-23-2008, 07:52 AM
Put your foil on an aluminum pan filled with ice and dump the water/refill with ice as needed, it will help keep the cheese from melting on you........or atleast give you a fighting chance.

Chargrilled
06-23-2008, 09:35 AM
Put your foil on an aluminum pan filled with ice and dump the water/refill with ice as needed, it will help keep the cheese from melting on you........or atleast give you a fighting chance.

Never thought about that!!! Have to try it out. Was thinkin (<---we're all in trouble when that happens) Use a aluminum dryer vent clamped into the top of you stack and pipe that sucker into a "smoke box" with a vent. Your own lil smoke house,...sort of without the heat. HUMMMMMMMMMM

PigCicles
06-23-2008, 10:16 AM
Trav - you should talk to Peculiarmike about his cheese smoker. He does something similar with an ECB and it works great.

SmokinTexas
06-23-2008, 10:37 AM
all great ideas.
thanks guys.

ps. could use some feedback on my saturday smoke...any heads up would be good.
it is in the Pork section "little Saturday smoke"

thanks men

SmokyOkie
06-23-2008, 10:43 AM
I have the same problem in the summer. I do all mine in the spring and fall and then vaccu-pak it.

I use a CI smoke box on top of en electric hot plate. I seems to generate a lot of smoke without too much heat.

Joe's right though, you ought to check with Mike and look at his device.

Fatback Joe
06-23-2008, 10:54 AM
I use a CI smoke box on top of en electric hot plate. I seems to generate a lot of smoke without too much heat.

I do the same thing here......but still need the ice......damn Florida.

Chargrilled
06-23-2008, 10:56 AM
Trav - you should talk to Peculiarmike about his cheese smoker. He does something similar with an ECB and it works great.

Now that you say that I remember a conversation with him at the round up. He mounted a lil radio shack fan and everything! He used pvc out of the smoker with an AL dryer hose attached. Great idea, that was with an ECB, I called it the wired R2D2. Only uses like 3/4 briquettes.

I will have to like Mike elaborate on the process but he said it worked great.

SmokyOkie
06-23-2008, 11:17 AM
I do the same thing here......but still need the ice......damn Florida.

Even in the Stumper with the door cracked?

Fatback Joe
06-23-2008, 11:21 AM
Yep...........that damn black just soaks up the sunlight. The cheeze doesn't melt immediately, but it does melt before I go to take it off if I don't use the ice.

BlazerQue
06-23-2008, 04:45 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sivMMDnUEpc#comment

PigCicles
06-23-2008, 04:55 PM
Good link BlazerQue. Looks like it would work very well.

BTW there is a way to add YouTube links directly to your post. The tutorial is under the forum listings.

BlazerQue
06-23-2008, 05:17 PM
Good link BlazerQue. Looks like it would work very well.

BTW there is a way to add YouTube links directly to your post. The tutorial is under the forum listings.

Okay, I'll give it a whirl:

sivMMDnUEpc#comment

PigCicles
06-23-2008, 08:07 PM
Look at you go! Thanks for posting that. It is a great solution for cold smoking cheese.

BlazerQue
06-23-2008, 08:19 PM
Look at you go! Thanks for posting that. It is a great solution for cold smoking cheese.

I've been meaning to try it. I may do so soon combined with the idea mentioned above of putting the cheese on top of ice.

It should be noted that the soldering iron needs to be new as metal fumes form one that has been used for actual soldering might not be too tasty or healthy.

peculiarmike
09-04-2008, 04:18 PM
Dang. I'm way late on this. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz....................... .
OK. I have been cold smoking cheese in the Char-Griller Duo. I start 4-5 briquets and pile them up together in the SFB basket. I put a few (2-3) chunks of smoking wood of choice on the stack to generate smoke. You do not get any heat, just smoke, and that is what you want. You are not cooking, just imparting the good smoke flavor. It does not take long to smoke up a batch of cheese, not over an hour. I generally use hickory and it gives a lot of flavor. Then I vac seal the cheese for future reference and freeze it, that intensifies the flavor a bit more.
This works great and should work in any smoker.
I also have the Turbo Smoker I built for use with my ECB back when it was the only smoker I had. Check it out under "Cold Smoking" - Turbo Cheese Smoker.
Pics -

chef schwantz
09-18-2008, 11:55 PM
I've had good luck in my homebuilt with a handfull of lump charcoal topped by some chips. My trick is to wrap the blocks in oiled cheesecloth, and suspend it from a sausage stick. It should stay inside the cheesecloth if you double it over, and even if it gets a little too warm, the cloth pretty much will shape it like a stick of summer sausage.

SmokdHog
09-19-2008, 01:25 AM
Check this out, may give you some ideas!
With my Bradley, they detach the biscuit burner from the oven and let the smoke cool a bit before it gets there. Here is a pic.
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q78/GizmoPhoto/HomeNovember047.jpg

So just think about it, maybe you could do the same off of the stack of your smoker, run it into a barrel or something located in your garage or in the shade.