PDA

View Full Version : Best of the West Lump (Review)

PigCicles
04-20-2011, 09:30 PM
Best of the West Mesquite Lump

Bag Weight: 40 lbs

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t38/PigCicles/Ribeye%20Delight/PICT0003.jpg

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t38/PigCicles/Ribeye%20Delight/PICT0002.jpg

I purchased the bag of lump from Sam's. When I opened the bag it had some dust. When dumping into the fire basket it had quite a bit of dust.

The bag contained lump sizes ranging from very small to LOG size pieces. The log was broken in half lengthwise, but still some huge chunks will be in the bag.

While lighting the basket full, it sparked and cracked, mostly due to the rapid expansion of heat being applied. The lump burned well and didn't put off a large amount of ash.

For the money, you can't go wrong with this brand. Keep in mind it is mesquite and will likely have a stronger smoke than some will like.

I would recommend this lump.

SmokyOkie
04-20-2011, 09:59 PM
Sounds and looks like it comes from the same foloks I used to import from in Reynosa.

tomshoots
04-21-2011, 04:28 AM
I'm bettin' its the same stuff I use. Lazzarri from the feed store or HEB brand or HEB's Central Market brand. Your description is right on what I would say about mine. Looks same in pic too.

What was the cost?

PigCicles
04-21-2011, 04:32 AM
Tom I was going through that in my head when writing that and couldn't remember - approx 20 bucks but I'm wanting to say $16. Next time I'm out there I'll look to see for certain and add it to the original post.

jerry516planes
04-21-2011, 04:51 AM
I have a couple of bags of the Lazzarri brand. It cost about $20 per 20lb bag. Seems pretty expensive till you use it. Lasts a very long time and does burn hotter than Royal Oak. Smoke flavor is nice. I think it is a good buy!

chef schwantz
04-21-2011, 03:34 PM
I just got back from Sams. They had been carrying 40#bags of Frontier and lately, BOW, for about $15. Either they were out of the Frontier, or stopped carrying it all together. They had 2 full pallets of the BOW, and every single bag had large holes ripped in it, with branches poking out, and 6" of charcoal fines piled up on the floor. I decided to pass. Didn't think the bag would make it from the pallet, to my garage, without disgorging its contents along the way.....:exasper:

Bubblehead
04-21-2011, 03:49 PM
I used BOW once and wasn't too excited about it. There were several LARGE logs that hadn't been charred all the way through and were still brown wood. Other than that, it was ok though.

Butt Lover's
04-21-2011, 04:13 PM
I really like this stuff...really nice on ribs in the BWS!

tomshoots
04-21-2011, 04:25 PM
I have a couple of bags of the Lazzarri brand. It cost about $20 per 20lb bag. Seems pretty expensive till you use it. Lasts a very long time and does burn hotter than Royal Oak. Smoke flavor is nice. I think it is a good buy!

I get Lazzarri at a feed store nearby for under 12 bucks/20lb including tax. I think the 40 lb is around $16-$17.

Tuck
04-21-2011, 05:03 PM
I get Lazzarri at a feed store nearby for under 12 bucks/20lb including tax. I think the 40 lb is around $16-$17.
And What Feed Store is that Tom ?:monkey:

tomshoots
04-21-2011, 05:10 PM
And What Feed Store is that Tom ?:monkey:

Steinhausers in Brookshire. I'm sure you know the place. I think there's one in Sealy or Colombus too.

Slim Jim
04-21-2011, 07:55 PM
I'm really jealous of you guys getting such deals on charcoal. About the 'best deal' I can get is a 7 lb bag of Cowboy lump for abour $7. Not much of a deal! I have a friend that found 17# bags of Royal Oak lump for abour $10 at a rest. supply store, but it's literally 100 miles away. :exasper: Any ideas????

PigCicles
04-21-2011, 08:04 PM
Slim - keep checking the big chain stores there will be some kind of deal show up. Or a better option ... move west young man!

SmokyOkie
04-21-2011, 09:34 PM

Betcha it all comes form the same place. What do you think?:shrug:

tomshoots
04-22-2011, 04:41 AM
Betcha it all comes form the same place. What do you think?:shrug:

Well it all appears to be the same stuff. I tend to agree.

cliffcarter
04-22-2011, 05:51 AM
I'm really jealous of you guys getting such deals on charcoal. About the 'best deal' I can get is a 7 lb bag of Cowboy lump for abour $7. Not much of a deal! I have a friend that found 17# bags of Royal Oak lump for abour $10 at a rest. supply store, but it's literally 100 miles away. :exasper: Any ideas????

WalMart has RO lump(USA),10lb for $6 and change in Maine, and if you can find an Ocean State Job Lots near you they have the 17lb RO lump from Argentina for $10.

chef schwantz
04-22-2011, 02:40 PM
Menards has RO steakhouse(green bag) for 3.99/8# this week. I just picked up 5 bags. Kinda small pieces........:exasper:

lazy
04-23-2011, 10:05 AM
Wow!:sign0092: I logged on this morning to see if anybody had any knowledge of this stuff. And there the info is, just waiting for me. Now that's service! Thanks for posting it, PC.

I ran across it as Sam's yesterday. It was priced the same per pound as Kingsford briquettes:puke; for some reason, 63 cents per pound is sticking in my head as the price.

Not being overly enamored with stuff made in Mexico (North America China), I didn't want to spend anything on it until I knew more.

Pigcicles noted that with it being mesquite, it will be a stronger smoke than some like. Will it be strong enough to overpower apple or pecan chunks added to it for smoking in a drum? I did the oversmoke thing with Mesquite once:roflmaoha0:. Hope to God I never do it again.

tomshoots
04-23-2011, 10:54 AM
Wow!:sign0092: I logged on this morning to see if anybody had any knowledge of this stuff. And there the info is, just waiting for me. Now that's service! Thanks for posting it, PC.

I ran across it as Sam's yesterday. It was priced the same per pound as Kingsford briquettes:puke; for some reason, 63 cents per pound is sticking in my head as the price.

Not being overly enamored with stuff made in Mexico (North America China), I didn't want to spend anything on it until I knew more.

Pigcicles noted that with it being mesquite, it will be a stronger smoke than some like. Will it be strong enough to overpower apple or pecan chunks added to it for smoking in a drum? I did the oversmoke thing with Mesquite once:roflmaoha0:. Hope to God I never do it again.

No, especially not the pecan. Apple is milder and you may want to use more of it. But wood is generally more dominant than even mesquite charcoal.

Short One
05-08-2011, 10:52 PM
Picked up a bag today at Sam's, .36/lb-13.40 for a 40# bag + tax. Going to mix with Royal Oak in the drum.

PigCicles
05-09-2011, 04:24 PM
Report back and tell us what you think of it Steve.

Short One
05-31-2011, 10:39 PM
Used some of this lump over the week past. Am not really impressed with it. So far the chunks are so big that you have to take them out of the bag one at a time. One was so large that it rubbed on both sides of the basket and was probably six inches thick and seven to eight inches wide. It wasn't charred enough that I could break it up any smaller and also found a stick probably two inches in dia. and ten inches long that was was charred very little if any. Didn't get any pics and wish I had, but the drum ran hotter than usual but the 30 mph winds we have been having probably helped that. Will use the rest of the bag eventually but probably won't buy any more. :shrug:

tomshoots
06-01-2011, 05:35 AM
Used some of this lump over the week past. Am not really impressed with it. So far the chunks are so big that you have to take them out of the bag one at a time. One was so large that it rubbed on both sides of the basket and was probably six inches thick and seven to eight inches wide. It wasn't charred enough that I could break it up any smaller and also found a stick probably two inches in dia. and ten inches long that was was charred very little if any. Didn't get any pics and wish I had, but the drum ran hotter than usual but the 30 mph winds we have been having probably helped that. Will use the rest of the bag eventually but probably won't buy any more. :shrug:

I have noticed that the bigger the bag, the more big pieces you get. In 10 lb bags you get more uniform chunks. I just noticed that Krogers in this area have BOW in smaller bags; maybe 8 lbs.

Short One
06-02-2011, 07:17 PM
[QUOTE=tomshoots;112811]I have noticed that the bigger the bag, the more big pieces you get.

Man, with a statement like that this could go to the BOTB, but I won't. :roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0::smack:

tomshoots
06-02-2011, 08:42 PM
[QUOTE=tomshoots;112811]I have noticed that the bigger the bag, the more big pieces you get.

Man, with a statement like that this could go to the BOTB, but I won't. :roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0::smack:

:blushing:

:roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0:

chef schwantz
06-02-2011, 09:28 PM
I am still working on my first 40# bag, but concur with most of waht has been said. It does however, seem to burn hot, and once I got the burn figured out and damped down, I can get 4 hours out of a chimney.

lazy
07-18-2011, 05:53 PM
I'm just getting into the bag I bought a couple months ago. Same issue. Huge chunks. At least they're "done" through, so no issues there. They bust easy enough, but a bit of a PITA to have to deal with...

SmokyOkie
07-18-2011, 08:55 PM
I have been having similar issues lately with my beloved Ozark Oak. theg pieces aren't all that big, but bigger than i like.

chef schwantz
07-18-2011, 10:37 PM
Just about the time I got it all dialed in, Sams quit selling it. Along with the 40#bags of Frontier. That leaves me with 20# bags of Cowboy for $14, or 20# of BGE for the low price of $24.:exasper: I actually been using blue bag for most quick apps now.:blushing:

SmokyOkie
07-19-2011, 10:12 AM
Paul, can you get Best choice or Royal Oak lump? they are both good quality stuff.

chef schwantz
07-19-2011, 11:01 AM
Paul, can you get Best choice or Royal Oak lump? they are both good quality stuff.
I can get RO Steakhouse lump, which is great for quick cooks like steak/chicken. But it seems to burn way too hot and way too fast in my Weber to use for any long smokes. Even with everything damped down, can't keep temps under 350*.

SmokyOkie
07-19-2011, 11:56 AM
I can get RO Steakhouse lump, which is great for quick cooks like steak/chicken. But it seems to burn way too hot and way too fast in my Weber to use for any long smokes. Even with everything damped down, can't keep temps under 350*.

Won't your Weber close down air tight enough to smother the fire?

If it will do that, put a Guru on it and you'll have perfect temp control.

chef schwantz
07-23-2011, 01:38 PM
Found a bag of RO redbag at Wallyworld for $6 and change. Giving it a try with some chuckies. We'll have to see how it works....

Buzzwinder
07-23-2011, 02:02 PM
Is that RO Redbag, Lump or are they Briquettes? I bought my usual 6 bags of RO Steak House lump (Green Bag) last time I was at Meanards. They also had RO Red Bag which I thought was lump (should have actually read the bag) but turned out to be Briquettes.

OakySmoker
03-04-2012, 08:51 PM
Am a newbie to the world of lump and I just completed my first run with the "Best of the West" lump. My 40lbr also came from Sam's and had some really big chunks.

Took my little splitting axe to it and made sure it was stacked loosely in the basekt. Did throw sparks when first started, but not bad after that. Cooked perfect in my drum smoker.

The pork & beef ribs were very tender and tasty and are dang near gone already!!!

Would buy again, but will also look for some Royal Oak. I do like cooking with oak as the backbone. Always have, always will.

SmokyOkie
03-04-2012, 09:54 PM
You can usually break up the big chenks by holding them in your hand and just whacking them with a steel bar or something similar.

PigCicles
03-05-2012, 09:30 AM
Hehe he said hold them in your hand and whacking them :roflmaoha0:

sorry .. :blushing:

tomshoots
03-05-2012, 11:08 PM
Hehe he said hold them in your hand and whacking them :roflmaoha0:

sorry .. :blushing:

...and steel bar! :roflmaoha0:

SmokyOkie
03-05-2012, 11:11 PM
Maybe used to be steel, now it is just more like lead.

tomshoots
03-05-2012, 11:16 PM
I meant to add this to the discussion way back when it started. Kroger was carrying BOW mesquite and OAK in I guess, 8-ish pound bags last summer. I won't do a full review now, but as I recall it lit faster than the mesquite, but burned not as long. Also less sparking. I had to adjust accordingly when switching between the two.

SmokyOkie
03-05-2012, 11:21 PM
Oak charcoal will burn quicker than mesquite.

Vermin99
03-12-2012, 05:18 PM
I just found a bag of Best of the West Oak lump charcoal. Gonna try it tonight on a couple of steaks and see how it does.

tomshoots
03-12-2012, 07:51 PM
I just found a bag of Best of the West Oak lump charcoal. Gonna try it tonight on a couple of steaks and see how it does.

I think you'll like it. I know I did. But around here, there's always mesquite to be had for less. And it burns longer, so it's a better value for me.