PDA

View Full Version : Saturday fatties, ready to go!!!

gt2003
06-21-2008, 12:00 AM
I've got a couple of people that I used to work with who are coming over tomorrow. They insisted on bringing the main course. I felt bad not doing anything so I thought I'd do a couple of fatties. He has heard me talk about them before but he's never had the experience. So, I put together a basic breakfast fattie with sharp cheddar cheese, bacon, egg, onion and fried potatoes wrapped in Jimmy Dean Hot sausage. I also threw together a Pizza fatty with Mozzarella cheese, roasted garlic and herb spaghetti sauce and pepperoni wrapped in regular Jimmy Dean sausage. I prefer the regular sausage over italian so that's why I chose the regular variety.

I'm "fretting" over whether or not to do the fatties on the smoker or use indirect heat and smoke with the gas grill. I almost hate to fire up the whole smoker for two fatties. Thoughts?

TX Sandman
06-21-2008, 01:04 AM
Personally, I'd use the gasser. You won't get the smoke flavor, but it'll be easier and cheaper if that's all you'll be cooking.

If you decide to use the smoker, get a few ribs or a brisket goin' with the fatties. You'll have dinner ready for another night.

My :twocents:, YMMV.

That breakfast one really looks good. I'll have to remember that for a weekend breakfast. the kids'll love helping me make it. Thanks for the idea, and let us know how they liked your creations.

BlazerQue
06-21-2008, 02:40 AM
I could certainly go for one of those breakfast fatties (hold the onions, please).

gt2003
06-21-2008, 08:03 AM
I guess I'm going to break down and fire up the smoker. I almost forgot, we are doing burgers and hot dogs too so we may need the room. I'll post q-view in a bit once I put them on.

SmokinTexas
06-21-2008, 12:31 PM
how long do you cook those fatties on the smoker ?
last one I tried took a couple hours

Bbq Bubba
06-21-2008, 12:48 PM
Glad to hear you decided to smoke them fatties!
Usually take about 2 hrs at 250*, done when internal is 160*.:thumbs up:

gt2003
06-21-2008, 01:27 PM
I did 'em for right at 3 hours. Maybe a little overkill but they turned out great. They are "resting" right now. I will take pics and post in a bit!

gt2003
06-22-2008, 08:38 AM
Better late than never. All of the food was great. My smoking buddy loved the fatties and says he is going to try a philly cheesesteak fatty today. Anyway, here are the pics!!!

TX Sandman
06-22-2008, 09:34 AM
Better late than never. All of the food was great. My smoking buddy loved the fatties and says he is going to try a philly cheesesteak fatty today. Anyway, here are the pics!!!

Another one down. It's almost too easy sometimes, isn't it?

:thumbs up: Great job, Greg! I like how the fillings stay together for a great presentation. They both look fabulous.

gt2003
06-22-2008, 09:42 AM
It really is easy to "persuade" them once you get them to try one. Like I said, he has heard me talk about them before but guess that wasn't covincing enough. He's convinced now.

We're heading to their house here in a bit to pick up our kiddo. We'll see if he's got it going yet. Take care, Greg