PDA

View Full Version : Frog Legs

BigAL
04-10-2011, 09:04 AM
Was joke'n around w/the meat dept. at the groc store a while back and told them they need to get some neat shtuff. I brought up frog legs, never thought they'd do it. Well, they did and I felt I better get a plenty cause they probably won't sell to good in this town.:exasper: Looks to be about 6/bag and I got 4 or 5 bags. Never cooked them, or had them, so it was experiment time.

This is the first try, smoke'n them. Have both sides of the Lou going and the traeger so as to keep them all separate.

First two will be w/RB, second just salt and pepper, and the last two Tony's. All the smokers running strong 250, traeger might be a hair under, but no biggie.

When I laid them out, I though of you guys. I wonder why?:moon::msn-wink::roflmaoha0:

Did rub w/evoo first.

http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z2/lonefarm/Chuckbrisketfroglegs008.jpg

More to pix and what we think of them later.

I can use ANY AND ALL advise on these things is GREATLY appreciated. Gonna fry some up some time, maybe grill some.:shrug:

Thanks

BigAL
04-10-2011, 12:55 PM
My wife and 12yo daughter would not try them, 15yo son did and said he didn't like them because they were "too fishy". They like their fish fried with plenty of batter and tartar or shrimp sauce. Thats fine, more for me.

I LOVED them! I like seafood and fish about anyway it can be served, even sushi. These were overcooked, the only ones that were close to not being over done were the cajun ones on the far right that were in the traeger. They had more juice, but were still a tad overdone(by look'n how the meat pulled from the bone, clean.

I found my new smoke'n treat. I'd take these over chicken wings any day. Plenty of meat, too. I had 3 pairs and I'm just right, I don't eat much though......liquid diet. http://www.bbq-4-u.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_wink.gif http://www.bbq-4-u.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_biggrin.gif

The Rooster Booster rub was ok, but it gave it a "chicken" taste. Might have something to do w/I always use RB on poultry.
The salt & pepper gave a good true taste of the frog. I liked knowing what it actually tasted like.
The cajun rub was my fav. Plenty of heat, could still taste the "fish" taste and I will use this again.

I think they were $5/#. Pricey, but a very nice treat. Meat to bone ratio is great, very little waste, imho. Couldn't catch the smoke flavor, but I didn't have any off the smoker either. Looks like they stay out here w/me in the shop/office. When I do a smoke, I plan to have a few of these on there for treats. I don't even think I'll try them deep fried as I like just how they were so much.

Anyway. Only these two pix. Thanks for look'n.

http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z2/lonefarm/froglegs001.jpg

http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z2/lonefarm/froglegs003.jpg

Vermin99
04-10-2011, 01:12 PM
Looks really good!!! I haven't had frog legs in years but the ones I used to eat all the time were fried. I say at least give fried frog legs a try.

californiasmokin
04-10-2011, 01:25 PM
Thanks for the info Jason.I have never tried frog legs before.Gonna have to give them a try!

It must have been fun trying them.Did you tease the girls while you and the son were eating them.Buy them a pet frog now!:roflmaoha0:

BigAL
04-10-2011, 01:45 PM
Thanks for the info Jason.I have never tried frog legs before.Gonna have to give them a try!

It must have been fun trying them.Did you tease the girls while you and the son were eating them.Buy them a pet frog now!:roflmaoha0:

I was actually in the shop when he tried them. Daughter said she did try a "calf" and said it tasted too fishy. So at least the kids tried them.

The "fishy" they talk about is like a fresh water fish that is not deep fried. I bet if I fried them, like John suggests', they would probably like them. The kids do like crappie, catfish, bass, etc deep fried like a fish fry.

Bunch of Nancy's if you ask me.:msn-wink:

chadd17
04-10-2011, 03:21 PM
I love them fried. Never thought of trying them smoked, thanks for the idea. Haven't seen them in stores here, but there are thousands of ponds around here that are full of them. Gonna have to get out and round some up.

Toast
04-10-2011, 03:29 PM
I was actually in the shop when he tried them. Daughter said she did try a "calf" and said it tasted too fishy. So at least the kids tried them.

The "fishy" they talk about is like a fresh water fish that is not deep fried. I bet if I fried them, like John suggests', they would probably like them. The kids do like crappie, catfish, bass, etc deep fried like a fish fry.

Bunch of Nancy's if you ask me.:msn-wink:

Just needs a TAD more salt if they are saying that BigAL :thumbs up:

SmokyOkie
04-10-2011, 04:00 PM
Egg wash, seafood splash, Panko seasoned w/ a little more Seafood Splash, 4 miuntes in a 400 oil bath and they would luv 'em.

Toast
04-10-2011, 04:49 PM
Egg wash, seafood splash, Panko seasoned w/ a little more Seafood Splash, 4 miuntes in a 400 oil bath and they would luv 'em.

Or just add a TAD more salt :roflmaoha0:

BigAL
04-10-2011, 06:21 PM

Honestly, first thing I thought of when I tasted them was "Dang, I need some of Tim's seafood BS, better not let him know." :msn-wink::roflmaoha0:

Need to fry them for the family. I'm happy with what I had today.

Toast, sorry. I think I over salted them in the first place.:blushing:

I'll do something different next time.

BluDawg
04-10-2011, 07:24 PM
That is a mess of good eatin Al, never tried them on the smoker but I have roasted them on the camp fire a time or 12 dusted with some Old Bay.

Buzzwinder
04-10-2011, 09:11 PM
Always had them fried same a chicken when I was a kid! Good eats!

Shiz-Nit
04-10-2011, 09:38 PM
I like frog legs myself I like to grill them and do them up buffalo style myself.

Fatback Joe
04-11-2011, 07:19 AM
Very nice.

I haven't made any since I moved north. Need to hunt some down.

chef schwantz
04-11-2011, 08:52 AM
Batter/bread/flour or whatever and fry'em, then toss in some buffalo sauce. They don't have enough fat to really catch and hold any smoke. Could be a good trick to play on the boys come hunting season...

PigCicles
04-11-2011, 10:07 AM
Those look great Jason! A perfect treat for all the hard work being done while you're smokin at the shop. Try em fried too.

Thanks for sharing the pics turd.

P.S. I know why you like em so much .. nahhh maybe later :roflmaoha0:

RedWolf
04-11-2011, 11:06 AM
I grew up enjoying frog legs on a regular basis. My Dad, older brother and me would go froggin' at night in the spring and summer along the farm ditches where we farmed. Occasionally a snake would fall out of a willow tree into the boat. That was always an experience.:ack2:

My mother would soak the legs overnight in saltwater in the fridge. The next day she would fry them in an iron skillet the same way that she fried chicken...no comparison to deep frying. She would then make milk gravy from the drippings and a pan of southern style biscuits and OMG, the feast was on.:woohoo:

Frogs on farm ditches are hard to find these days. The runoff from farm chemicals has taken its toll. I am not too sure if they would even be safe to eat in this day and time.

Paymaster
04-13-2011, 07:36 PM
Now that looks great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:thumbs up:

SmokyOkie
04-13-2011, 09:17 PM
I grew up enjoying frog legs on a regular basis. My Dad, older brother and me would go froggin' at night in the spring and summer along the farm ditches where we farmed. Occasionally a snake would fall out of a willow tree into the boat. That was always an experience.:ack2:

My mother would soak the legs overnight in saltwater in the fridge. The next day she would fry them in an iron skillet the same way that she fried chicken...no comparison to deep frying. She would then make milk gravy from the drippings and a pan of southern style biscuits and OMG, the feast was on.:woohoo:

Frogs on farm ditches are hard to find these days. The runoff from farm chemicals has taken its toll. I am not too sure if they would even be safe to eat in this day and time.

No substitute for frsh gigged American bullfrog legs. we never soaked them, just left them in a wet gunny sack overnight ( maybe because we were too drunk ot care mess with them that night) then stripped off the legs and skinned them, then fired them for breakfast.

tomshoots
04-13-2011, 10:47 PM
When I was a kid growin' up in Fla. we used to gig 'em at night. Then sautee the legs in a skillet over a campfire. Butter, S&P, garlic.

Life was good!!:msn-wink: