PDA

View Full Version : possum and sweet taters

rwc565
04-09-2011, 09:44 AM
My old friend I called him Pops passed away a few weeks ago. Pops was one of those old guys who hunted and fished all of his life. I was going through his old books yesterday and came across a book called "Cooking Over Coals". This book has some very interesting recipes. Here is one I'd like to share. If you should be brave enough to try it, be sure and post the results.

1 Whole opossum about 15#
8-10 sweet potatos
1 tblsp. sage
1/4 Tsp garlic powder
1/4 Tsp Cayenne
1 cup flour
1/2 Tsp salt
1 egg
1/2 cup brown sugar or 1 cup molasses
Before cooking wash the possum inside and out with a rag dipped in salt water.
Powder the sage and mix with the other ingredients(except the brown sugar) with the flour: beat the egg lightly and mix with the spiced flour to form a thin paste, brush the possum with the paste. Dust the sweet potatos with the brown sugar or dip in the molasses after they are peeled.put 2 or 3 into the possums cavity, the rest around the possum in a dutch oven. close the dutch oven and bury it in coals for 3 - 3 1/2 hours. Uncover and drain off all fat from the possum, then place back on low coals for another 15 minutes, drain off any addition fat and eat.:blushing:

Joneser
04-09-2011, 10:56 AM
Reminds me of this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImhvKIaFx2Y

Paymaster
05-16-2011, 11:47 AM
Now that is some fine eat'n. I was raised a possum hunter and we had two or three possum dinners a year back when I was younger. We kept them up in cages for a month or so feeding them cornbread and milk to fatten them up. We always cooked two or three possums for the dinner. Most we ever did,that I can remember,was six.:thumbs up:

I am gonna smoke one one of these days.

Joneser
05-16-2011, 01:15 PM
Keep us posted...I'm intrigued.