PDA

View Full Version : Gonna change my name to Joe

lazy
02-06-2011, 08:33 PM
Joe Btfsplk, that is...

I Know there are a whole lot of folks in worse shape than my family, and I try hard to realize the good stuff, but the last 2 1/2-3 years have about convinced me I have the little black cloud following me around.

After the cancer with both my father & FIL, my mom had a stroke just before Thanksgiving. Thankfully, a complete recovery is expected, and she's doing well.

My wife totalled our van the first week of January. Thankfully (see, there are good things happening...) no major injuries other than her confidence.

The company I work for filed Chapter 11 last week. We really thought our location would come out ok, based on our sales and profitability. We expected most of the new locations and maybe 1 or 2 underperforming older locations would be closed. We expected to be used as a clearing house for the product from the stores we expected be closed. We would take a couple years, regroup, then start growing again.

Last night we found out the bankruptcy judge had a slightly different view of the situation and has ordered a complete liquidation. Some of us will be let go in the near future, some will be left to handle the liquidation.

Bummer. I have absolutely no idea what I should do/want to do. I haven't enjoyed any job as much as I enjoyed this one.

The good Lord hasn't let us get too deep into the doodoo in the past, so I'm not too worried. Yet.

SmokyOkie
02-06-2011, 09:16 PM
Good to see you Lazy. It seems like it has been a while.

I know it is prolly not what you want to hear, but as I have told many in the past, losing a job normally ends up with one having a better job in the end.

I mean, when you have a job, you tend not to spend much time trying to better yourself. when you lose a job, it forces you to look for another one, and a good productive individual will generally start looking for something better than the old one.

I don't mean to be insensitive, and I sure hope you don;t take it that way, but this will be a good chance for you to better your position in life if that is what you want it to be.

I certainly hope for you and yours that it ends up that way.

PigCicles
02-06-2011, 10:53 PM
Hang in there buster. Something better is on it's way. Keep looking for better and you will find it.

lazy
02-07-2011, 01:08 AM
...I don't mean to be insensitive, and I sure hope you don;t take it that way, but this will be a good chance for you to better your position in life if that is what you want it to be.

I certainly hope for you and yours that it ends up that way.

Okie, If I knew how to "better my position in life", I would do so. That didn't come out right--it's not meant in a negative way. It's amazing how many jobs want a college degree even if it has nothing to do with the job at hand. I have no degree. There's not much I can't do if I set my mind to it--it's a function of whether we can pay the bills while I'm learning something new.

I've learned a little about a lot of things in my previous jobs, but not enough about any of them to translate into a different career. I got out of management after 25 years just to save my sanity and to spend more time with my family. At the time, it was definitely the right thing to do, and I don't regret it. The downside is it's hard to get back into a management position.

In pursuing the only thing I ever really had any great interest in doing, it became quite apparent I didn't have the knack needed to be successful. My tendency was to reach for the big hammer when I needed a little one, and vice versa.

Since then, I've just sort of fallen into opportunities and made the best of them. I'm sure that will happen again, if I just keep myself focused in the right direction.

If I'm unable to come up with something in a month or two, my life insurance would be more useful to my family than I am.

BluDawg
02-07-2011, 01:08 AM
Lazy it it good to see you posting your family has had a rough year but there is always someone worse off. Jobs come and Go but you have your family, your health, and a good work ethic. I would not wait for the pink slip to show up I would start to look Now! Tim said it pretty well when one door closes another will open normally leading to something better. Hang in there Bro your time is coming.

peculiarmike
02-07-2011, 01:58 AM
Okie, If I knew how to "better my position in life", I would do so. That didn't come out right--it's not meant in a negative way. It's amazing how many jobs want a college degree even if it has nothing to do with the job at hand. I have no degree. There's not much I can't do if I set my mind to it--it's a function of whether we can pay the bills while I'm learning something new.

I've learned a little about a lot of things in my previous jobs, but not enough about any of them to translate into a different career. I got out of management after 25 years just to save my sanity and to spend more time with my family. At the time, it was definitely the right thing to do, and I don't regret it. The downside is it's hard to get back into a management position.

In pursuing the only thing I ever really had any great interest in doing, it became quite apparent I didn't have the knack needed to be successful. My tendency was to reach for the big hammer when I needed a little one, and vice versa.

Since then, I've just sort of fallen into opportunities and made the best of them. I'm sure that will happen again, if I just keep myself focused in the right direction.

If I'm unable to come up with something in a month or two, my life insurance would be more useful to my family than I am.

My friend you need to talk to someone about your situation, in your church, company provided counsel, local city or county counselling. It's NEVER that bad. It always gets better.
Do yourself and your family a favor and find someone to talk to who can help you. You'll be surprised.

lazy
03-04-2011, 10:25 PM
Thanks, Mike! I must've been having a reaaallyyy bad day that day.
I know it's not that bad, I've been between jobs before, it's not a total surprise, I've got time to start trying to things lined out, and all that other stuff.

Sometimes I get stuck on something and all I can see is the negatives.It's a leftover from an old head injury that has changed the way thing compute, I guess. It is something I have learned to recognize, and usually am able to get myself out of that mode. Occasionally, I don't catch it soon enough, and I get into a deep funk. This was one of those times.

We've got some savings to fall back on for awhile if we need to. We'll find something, and we'll be fine.

tomshoots
03-05-2011, 09:32 AM
Sounds like you've had it pretty rough lazy. Sorry to hear it. But I agree with Tim. Think of it as an opportunity. We wish you all the best my friend.

californiasmokin
03-06-2011, 11:52 AM
Life never quite turns out like you expected.It is all about how you handle it!

I wish you the very best and hope things turn out well for you!I'll keep you in my prayers!

lazy
04-04-2011, 07:40 PM
Well, some things are looking up!

Dad's oncologist has declared that the cancer is in remission. Seems to be unusual for this type of cancer (multiple myeloma), but we'll take it for what it is and be thankful. He's still having some issues with side effects from the drugs, but is able to look forward a bit now...

Mom's pretty much recovered from her stroke. Still has a bit of numbness in her right hand (Dad has to thread her needles for her:roflmaoha0:... guess the cataract surgery from early last year is really coming in handy), and tires easier than she would like, but she's accepting it and changing to make things work.

Even though I'll be out of a job in the next week or so, they have made it worthwhile to stick it out to the bitter end. At least the insurance will continue through the end of April, and that's a huge break for us.

tomshoots
04-04-2011, 08:20 PM
Good to hear something positive. I'm sure the rest of the members will join me in keeping your family in thought and prayer.

Joneser
04-05-2011, 08:42 AM
Great News, Lazy! Thanks for checking in!
As far as the Job situation, I'm sure you will be back on track soon. Keep your chin up, brother...