PDA

View Full Version : Pigbutt has a vandal

SmokyOkie
06-14-2008, 08:08 PM
Here's the mystery:

What would come into a garden, eat every bit of the Basil but the very stem, then pull up all the green onion bulbs only to leave them laying on the surface, all without hardly disturbing the soil?

I'm guessing it's a coon. Anybody had any similar experience or like to offer a guess?

It's affecting his gardening wanna fairly severely.

BA_LoKo
06-14-2008, 08:18 PM
The last time I had that very thing happen, you had just come by for a visit. <shrug>

You probably don't like bell peppers either.

SmokyOkie
06-14-2008, 10:08 PM
Nope! Luv 'em. But not the ones at Walmart, they're prolly Chinese.:smack:

TX Sandman
06-14-2008, 11:05 PM
Sounds like maybe coon, possibly bunny. Nah, Bugs'd probably eat the tops of the onions, too. Not pull 'em out.

But, heck, I'm a Texan. Ask me about armadillos.

peculiarmike
06-14-2008, 11:26 PM
Gourmet squirrels??

SmokyOkie
06-15-2008, 09:44 PM
I'm thinkin it must be a coon. that's the only thing I can think of that would be able to pull the onion bulbs up without disturbing the soil.

Armadildos root around a lot and eat mostly bugs abd such.

peculiarmike
06-18-2008, 10:10 AM
I don't think coon are too much on veggies, meat eaters. Some other varmit involved I'd say.

SmokyOkie
06-18-2008, 10:28 AM
Whatever it was didn't appear to have eaten any onions. just pulled them up, not dug them, as if it were curious.

Coons are omnivores though. They eat about the same types of things we do.

http://pelotes.jea.com/AnimalFact/Mammal/raccoon.htm

:sign0092:

peculiarmike
06-18-2008, 04:57 PM
Whatever it was didn't appear to have eaten any onions. just pulled them up, not dug them, as if it were curious.

Coons are omnivores though. They eat about the same types of things we do.

http://pelotes.jea.com/AnimalFact/Mammal/raccoon.htm

:sign0092:

Nobody likes a showoff.

SmokyOkie
06-18-2008, 07:18 PM
Nobody likes a showoff.

:blushing::blushing:

Not to be a show off, just that I remember them eating all my sweet corn.

Capt Dan
06-18-2008, 08:52 PM
They eat alot of dead crap from the side of the road, including their own family. I don't see the comparison to what we eat, but hey.................to each his own!:roflmaoha0:

PigCicles
06-18-2008, 08:56 PM
Might be that people make tastey snack??? Ask Jeffrey Dahmer - he would know

taz6317
06-25-2008, 12:58 PM
I'd guess a groundhog. They ate my basil down to the stem before I even got it in the ground, the little B@#$^&%s.

PhillyMike
06-25-2008, 01:29 PM
I'd guess a groundhog. They ate my basil down to the stem before I even got it in the ground, the little B@#$^&%s.

whistle pigs are good if you smoke them right...

SmokyOkie
06-29-2008, 05:22 PM

I don't know if a groundhog could make it through the chain link.

whistle pigs are good if you smoke them right...

When I lived in Wyoming back in the 70's, there were groundsquirrels that they called Whistle pis. We used 'em for target practice.

they ate like a hamster, filled their pouches with greenery. If you saw one run over on the road on the way to work, you could count on there'd be 100 when you came back cuz they'd all try to eat the greenery out of the dead one's pouches.

Same whistlepigs you refer to?