PDA

View Full Version : Will this work?

Cheech
01-28-2011, 09:33 PM
I have a homemade stick burner that I would like to continue to use as a hog roaster.

The fat will drip down and has in the past started a grease fire. For those times would it work to have a CO2 tank attached to a pipe inside the smoker. When I get a grease fire open the valve to the co2 and put out the fire.

Would this work?

SmokyOkie
01-28-2011, 11:03 PM
I wouldn;t want to have to try and manage that system.

Why no work on redesigning your racks to channel most of the grease away and to the sides instead of dripping on the fire?

BluDawg
01-28-2011, 11:14 PM
I think your gonna be casing yourself. Carbon dioxide is heavier than air and extinguishes a fire by replacing the oxygen with an inert gas thereby removing 1 leg of the fire triangle. if you go to shooting Co2 into the pit your going to smother out your cooking fire too.:shrug:

A better solution would be to raise the firebox end by 1" and install a grease drain in the bottom on the opposite end allowing the grease to drain into a bucket.:msn-wink:

jerry516planes
01-29-2011, 12:38 AM
How about posting a couple pictures to help us understand the problem. I am always glad to help!

Cheech
01-29-2011, 07:58 AM
When I get my smoker back from storage I will post a few pictures.

I have a tray to cook on and can divert most of the grease but when I do whole hog I cook at a higher temp. The flames are higher and tend to start grease fires when I do whole hog.