PDA

View Full Version : What sides

Fish-fire
01-23-2011, 09:46 PM
Hi all I have been asked to cook pulled pork for my work there will be 145 people I have never cooked for that many I think that I will need 75 pounds of pork and I think that the price is OK I will get about 13.00 a plate. What I don't Know is what sides go good with the pork I will be doing every thing but the drinks. Thanks for all the help

Vermin99
01-23-2011, 09:58 PM
A must for me is coleslaw with pulled pork and I also like either beans, potato or macaroni salad.

SmokyOkie
01-23-2011, 10:10 PM
A must for me is coleslaw with pulled pork and I also like either beans, potato or macaroni salad.

:whathesaid:

Choose one of the three salads, and serve with beans.

Don't serve 2 mayo based salads. Collard green would make a good side too if you have a good recipe. Green beans make a good side for a change of pace as well.

When you say 75# are you talking pre cooked or cooked weight? what is your crowd going to be made up of? Women, children, hungry young men?

BigAL
01-24-2011, 06:08 AM
Another vote for slaw. We also like Dutch's Wicked Beans.

Good luck!

Fish-fire
01-24-2011, 07:25 AM
It will be mostly men and that 75# will be raw meat I went with 1/2# raw meat per person. Thanks

chef schwantz
01-24-2011, 12:48 PM
:whathesaid:

Choose one of the three salads, and serve with beans.

Don't serve 2 mayo based salads. Collard green would make a good side too if you have a good recipe. Green beans make a good side for a change of pace as well.

When you say 75# are you talking pre cooked or cooked weight? what is your crowd going to be made up of? Women, children, hungry young men?
:whathesaid::whathesaid::whathesaid:75# sounds pretty close, but keep in mind, you will lose a bit with trimming, bones, and leakage. Collard greens are a nice change from the normal(if you like spinach with bacon, you'll love collards done right). Figure one cold, and one hot side, along with bread or buns, pickles, sauce, etc. Your cost per plate sounds alright, so theres no need to skimp on anything.:twocents:

SmokyOkie
01-24-2011, 04:53 PM
It will be mostly men and that 75# will be raw meat I went with 1/2# raw meat per person. Thanks

For the average crowd, 1/4# cooked weight will be enough if it is not self serve, provided you have adequate sides. You will most likely lose around 40% of precooked weight to trimming and cooking. so 60% of 75#= 45# cooked weightx4 people per pound=180 average people. Hungry young men will eat nearly twice that, and even more if it is self serve.

People waste a ton of food if you let them serve themselves.

Hope that helps.