PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a new charcoal grill

B.Stinson
12-27-2010, 12:26 PM
Im looking for suggestions for a new charcoal grill.Im looking for something to replace my old one.I like the masterforge that lowes sells but just wondering what else is out there.Thanks for the ideas.

PigCicles
12-27-2010, 12:38 PM
What price range are you looking at B? I know Okie will suggest a Hasty Bake - and they are some good equipment. Tell us some of the features you want and we'll try to get you some choices

chef schwantz
12-27-2010, 12:53 PM
Weber.

BigAL
12-27-2010, 01:21 PM
The Hasty Bake is sweet!

I do have to give a plug for the weber one-touch-silver. Cheap and easy to use......even for a pellet punk!

Anyway you go, you do know that it's the cook, not the pit that makes a great meal........oh.....and hamburger helper.:msn-wink:

Plenty of choices, good luck, Stinson.:thumbs up:

SmokyOkie
12-27-2010, 01:34 PM
Joe is right (Pigcicles). I am very confident that the Hasty Bake Legacy (http://usbbqsupply.com/home/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_16&products_id=74) is one of the finest charcoal grills on the market as well as one of the best values in a charcoal grill.

The Suburban (http://usbbqsupply.com/home/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_16&products_id=76) if you will only be cooking for 3 or 4 people at a time.

The customer support and availability of parts is unparalleled as well.

If you can justify spending the $800-$1000 price, you will never regret buying one.

You can easily smoke, grill or bake with one and ease of use and temp control cannot be matched with anything else out there that I am aware of.

On the other hand, for the money, a Weber kettle is quite a value as well. You would not have the longevity, or utility of the Hasty Bake, but then you would spend a lot less $.

If you would like to visit with me further about the HB, drop me a PM and I'll shoot you my phone info.

Oh, and don't forget about the 5% TQJ discount.

chef schwantz
12-27-2010, 02:21 PM
Just to play Devils advocate,:msn-wink: you could get a new Weber 22.5 silver OT every 5 years for the next 40 years, and spend $800-1000 that way. I have had my current one for 10 years now, use it over 100 days a year, and haven't needed to replace anything. Parts are available at just about every Home Depot, and most hardware stores worth their salt will at least carry generic grates and stuff.:twocents:

Vermin99
12-27-2010, 02:23 PM
Get a Weber. IMO its the best bang for the buck and you can do just about anything with them.

SmokyOkie
12-27-2010, 02:31 PM
Just to play Devils advocate,:msn-wink: you could get a new Weber 22.5 silver OT every 5 years for the next 40 years, and spend $800-1000 that way. I have had my current one for 10 years now, use it over 100 days a year, and haven't needed to replace anything. Parts are available at just about every Home Depot, and most hardware stores worth their salt will at least carry generic grates and stuff.:twocents:

Get a Weber. IMO its the best bang for the buck and you can do just about anything with them.

You can drive a Chevy for a lot less $ that a Cadillac, but they sure do sell a lot of Cadillacs.

I have Webers as well and do not dispute that they are great little grills, but I use my Hasty Bake better than 90% of the time.

There really is no comparison between the two other than the fact that they both use charcoal.

Primo
12-27-2010, 03:52 PM
Primo is a good as any ceramic .

Joneser
12-27-2010, 04:28 PM
You can drive a Chevy for a lot less $ that a Cadillac, but they sure do sell a lot of Cadillacs.

Reminded me of...

I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's ***, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it.
From Tommy Boy...

Webers aren't bad, I'd stay away from those Chinese grills at Lowes...they look OK, but are really thin and cheaply made.

chef schwantz
12-27-2010, 04:36 PM
Reminded me of...
I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's ***, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it.
From Tommy Boy...

That explains a few more things about BigAl....:roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0:

Webers aren't bad, I'd stay away from those Chinese grills at Lowes...they look OK, but are really thin and cheaply made.
Yeah, make sure WHATEVER you buy is made from heavy gauge metal, and seals tight.

SmokyOkie
12-27-2010, 09:17 PM
Reminded me of...

From Tommy Boy...

Absolutely nothing wrong with a Weber. You are just a little limited with one.

Chargrilled
12-28-2010, 07:49 AM
chargriller???? I have a weber in the shed that I havent used in forever as the chargriller gives me more options for grilling. As Joneser stated watch out for thin guaged chit, and cheaply made crap as these thing must withstand some pretty wild temp differences.

I am sure that I would go the HB rout if I had the cash when I was lookin to buy a grill, no doubt. And I would even know who to get it from!:blushing:

B.Stinson
12-28-2010, 09:43 AM
I have got a chargriller with sfb that i have smoked on several times but i didnt think it made a very good charcoal grill so i think ill keep it for what ive used it for just small cooks.I was really looking to stay under $400 just wondering what was out there would like to have a hasty bake but would prolly hafto sleep in it if i spent that much on a grill.Thanks for all the suggestions.

the_selling_blues_man
12-28-2010, 10:19 AM
I like my Weber Silver. It is it is a little limited on size when grilling for a group of friends.

B.Stinson
12-28-2010, 10:20 AM
This (http://www.lowes.com/pd_177898-95393-DGO576CC_4294857761_4294937087_?productId=3086667&Ns=p_product_prd_lis_ord_nbr|0||p_product_quantity _sold|1&pl=1&currentURL=%2Fpl_Charcoal%2BGrills_4294857761_4294 937087_%3FNs%3Dp_product_prd_lis_ord_nbr|)is the grill i was looking at at Lowes the other day i like the warming rack and the easy coal adjustment.

chef schwantz
12-28-2010, 10:32 AM
http://www.lowes.com/pd_177898-95393-DGO576CC_4294857761_4294937087_?productId=3086667&Ns=p_product_prd_lis_ord_nbr|0||p_product_quantity _sold|1&pl=1&currentURL=%2Fpl_Charcoal%2BGrills_4294857761_4294 937087_%3FNs%3Dp_product_prd_lis_ord_nbr| (http://www.lowes.com/pd_177898-95393-DGO576CC_4294857761_4294937087_?productId=3086667&Ns=p_product_prd_lis_ord_nbr%7C0%7C%7Cp_product_qu antity_sold%7C1&pl=1&currentURL=%2Fpl_Charcoal%2BGrills_4294857761_4294 937087_%3FNs%3Dp_product_prd_lis_ord_nbr%7C)
0||p_product_quantity_sold|1%26page%3D2 this is the grill i was looking at at Lowes the other day i like the warming rack and the easy coal adjustment.

Sams Club sells the same model. It looks nice, but you can twist the firebox and the lid the metal is so thin. It might be 20ga, but I could be wrong. It could be 22. The adjustable rack for the coals doesn't raise/lower evenly, and I bet it will bind once weighed down with coals. My opinion is that you will spend $200 on a grill to find out that you bought $2 worth of melted down 1982 toyota, and some almost reusable wheels and casters.:twocents:

BluDawg
12-28-2010, 11:53 AM
I love my Weber it's been cranking out killer food since 1989 However I have a bad case of the I wants and the obsession of that is a Tejas grill http://www.tejassmokers.com/grill.htm

SmokyOkie
12-28-2010, 07:47 PM
This (http://www.lowes.com/pd_177898-95393-DGO576CC_4294857761_4294937087_?productId=3086667&Ns=p_product_prd_lis_ord_nbr|0||p_product_quantity _sold|1&pl=1&currentURL=%2Fpl_Charcoal%2BGrills_4294857761_4294 937087_%3FNs%3Dp_product_prd_lis_ord_nbr|)is the grill i was looking at at Lowes the other day i like the warming rack and the easy coal adjustment.

#1, the crank mechanism on their demos doesn't even work right half the time because it is so flimsy.
#2, If I'm not mistaken, the charcoal grates are very thin sheet metal with inadequate perforations. they would rust out in a year or so for most frequent users.

IMHO, the Chargriller is a much better option, but even it will not hold up well to frequent use.

Other than a Weber, pretty much any charcoal grill under $400 is going to be semi disposable.

How often to you plan on using the grill?

B.Stinson
12-28-2010, 08:33 PM
I cook 1 or 2 times a week when the weather is nice ive got a cheapo charbroil santa fe now and other then the coal grate rusting through after about 2 and a half years its done good.We took it with us to comps last year to cook for us and do chicken on.I ordered a new grate for it yesterday and im keeping it for that purpose just want something else for the yard.

SmokyOkie
12-28-2010, 09:38 PM
That is pretty good performance for a grill in that price range.

Chargrilled
12-30-2010, 01:48 AM
Ive got their off set smoker but they also sell grills. Good luck!

http://www.bbquepits.com/

The guy, Alex, works with you on mods also.

pf89
12-30-2010, 11:23 AM
weber makes a 27 inch kettel now

smokeasaurus
01-13-2011, 08:37 PM
IMHO, if you are just going to grill without any plans of indirect cooking that 27" Weber Kettle is sweet. Of course with the larger size you could do some indirect grilling. My brother has one and it has a thermometer in the lid and a holder for the lid. Weber even includes a couple of charcoal baskets and it has the double hinged cooking grate. I like the fact that you have enough room on it for safe zones or multiple levels of heat. About 300 bucks and you are cooking about 10 minutes after you open the box and assemble it. You can do alot of things on a Weber.

SmokyOkie
01-13-2011, 10:07 PM
I have done plenty of indirect grilling with a standard Weber, but you are right, the 26 1/2" is nicer. Don't like the 36" Ranch Kettle. The lid is too cumbersome.

'Course, you are talking about a $300 grill.

pf89
01-13-2011, 10:31 PM
saw my first 26.5 weber grill and it was on sale for 249 they come with stainless steel grills, would be great for sear then indirect cooking:thumbs up:

SmokyOkie
01-13-2011, 10:43 PM
Pick one up for me please. I'll get it from you next time we get together. I don;t really need one, but for that price, I'm in.

smokeasaurus
01-15-2011, 02:44 PM
I have been all over the Hasty-Bake sight and watching their videos and man is that a sweet rig!! It appears to be the perfect grill/smoker combo and if you get the powder coated models very reasonably priced!!

aczeller
01-15-2011, 07:29 PM
this is what i got, and i love it...

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc228/aczeller/2010-07-24144101.jpg?t=1294713802

has plenty of room, works great, and is the perfect size for me...

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc228/aczeller/2010-07-24144125.jpg?t=1294713844

it's a little overloaded in that last pic, but this is the grill that got me started with smoking. i took a piece of scrap 16 gauge, bent it into a large piece of C-Channel, and it works great for indirect heat cooking. i just place the charcoal below the heat plate and the food directly above. the intake/exhaust works great and is nice and tight. this spring, i need to replace the wood shelves with some expanded metal and replace the handle with a nicer barrel handle, but other than that, it is great, right out of the box.

the charcoal "shelf"/tray has 3 levels that it can sit on and is the perfect size... it takes only one charcoal chimney and the coals are evenly spread across.

anyway, for $100, it's got more room than a weber, comes with wheels on it, and is sturdy as hell.

Later,
Andy

P.S. it's a Charbroil Santa Fe. i have seen other knock-offs around, but i haven't paid much attention to them. The charbroil was relatively cheap and has held up for over 2 years with no rust at all. it needs a good cleaning, but so far, so good.

smokeasaurus
01-15-2011, 09:57 PM
That Santa Fe is a nice looking pit. Is that a door on the front so you can add charcoal for long cooks??

aczeller
01-15-2011, 10:16 PM
That Santa Fe is a nice looking pit. Is that a door on the front so you can add charcoal for long cooks??

yeah. the silver thing on the top is the latch... gets hotter than hell, but it keeps everything pretty tight, relatively speaking. it still allows smoke to escape, but when that latch is shut, the dorr isn't going anywhere.

i wish the door was a little taller, but other than that, it's pretty handy. i still load mine from the top when i start, then just put the rack on, but when the rack is loaded and the heat plate is in, the door is the only way to add coals and wood chips. If i'm smoking a smaller load, i will usually use one chimney of coals, then just toss on some wet wood chips every hour or so... just throw them in to get them in the back. as the chips dry and burn, they turn to embers, so there is no reason to add more charcoal. the first time i ever used it was the longest i went without adding chips or coals... it was still hot enough to grill burgers for a little over 4 hours, and that was with the air intakes wide open and the lid up the whole time, letting the coals burn a lot faster than usual. the lid is also tall enough to allow you to roast s BC chicken without touching the top.

Later,
Andy

smokeasaurus
01-16-2011, 01:09 PM
Sounds like you have your Santa Fe mastered!! It's good to know that your lid has enough height. Lots of pits out there don't have enough lid clearance.

B.Stinson
01-16-2011, 03:55 PM
this is what i got, and i love it...

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc228/aczeller/2010-07-24144101.jpg?t=1294713802

has plenty of room, works great, and is the perfect size for me...

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc228/aczeller/2010-07-24144125.jpg?t=1294713844

it's a little overloaded in that last pic, but this is the grill that got me started with smoking. i took a piece of scrap 16 gauge, bent it into a large piece of C-Channel, and it works great for indirect heat cooking. i just place the charcoal below the heat plate and the food directly above. the intake/exhaust works great and is nice and tight. this spring, i need to replace the wood shelves with some expanded metal and replace the handle with a nicer barrel handle, but other than that, it is great, right out of the box.

the charcoal "shelf"/tray has 3 levels that it can sit on and is the perfect size... it takes only one charcoal chimney and the coals are evenly spread across.

anyway, for $100, it's got more room than a weber, comes with wheels on it, and is sturdy as hell.

Later,
Andy

P.S. it's a Charbroil Santa Fe. i have seen other knock-offs around, but i haven't paid much attention to them. The charbroil was relatively cheap and has held up for over 2 years with no rust at all. it needs a good cleaning, but so far, so good.
Thats the same grill i have now i love it but fixin to mount it to the smoker so just looking for something different for the yard.

smokeasaurus
01-19-2011, 09:28 AM
Char-Broil has reintroduced the CB940X which is the heavy duty model of the Santa Fe. It features an adjustable charcoal tray and cast iron cooking grates. I have read some pretty positive reviews about it. They say it is alot heavier than the Santa Fe and it goes for around 400.00 bucks.

aczeller
01-19-2011, 10:43 AM
ooooooooooo... that CB940X looks pretty damn nice. i wish i had the $400 to upgrade. i never have liked cast iron grates, but other than that, it looks pretty nice. i really like the cutting board option and the bigger box.

Later,
Andy

SmokyOkie
01-19-2011, 11:03 AM
It isn't quite as heavy duty as the original 940, but it is a good enough grill that it survived all the ownership changes of Charbroil. None of their other grills did.

Why do you not like CI grates? Most people will pay big $ top get them. Ask Vermin99.

BluDawg
01-19-2011, 11:10 AM
ooooooooooo... that CB940X looks pretty damn nice. i wish i had the $400 to upgrade. i never have liked cast iron grates, but other than that, it looks pretty nice. i really like the cutting board option and the bigger box.

Later,
AndyIf you grilling high heat;steaks, chops, CI rules for awesome grill marks. In a Smoker CI has the ability to adsorb the heat and equalize the temp across the cooking surface by radiating it back. My Char Griller has CI grates that I seasoned when I bought it 3 1/2 yrs ago, I store it on a covered porch uncovered and there is not 1 spec of rust any where. And I think if you where to ask Vermin about the CI grate in his Weber his sentiments would be similar to mine. Do not be contemptuous of what you do not understand.:shrug::twocents:

Vermin99
01-19-2011, 11:28 AM
If you grilling high heat;steaks, chops, CI rules for awesome grill marks. In a Smoker CI has the ability to adsorb the heat and equalize the temp across the cooking surface by radiating it back. My Char Griller has CI grates that I seasoned when I bought it 3 1/2 yrs ago, I store it on a covered porch uncovered and there is not 1 spec of rust any where. And I think if you where to ask Vermin about the CI grate in his Weber his sentiments would be similar to mine. Do not be contemptuous of what you do not understand.:shrug::twocents:

:whathesaid: I don't think people realize how much heat is retained in a CI grate. It makes indirect cooking so much easier. IMO grill marks are overrated. I really like them but if a hunk of meat doesn't have them so what. The CI grates are real easy to take care of too. The only time I take care of them right away is after a high sear, the seasoning tends to bake off. Other than that I just scrape the grates before the next cook and away we go.

aczeller
01-19-2011, 01:54 PM
i guess i mis-spoke (again... lol)... it's not that i DISlike them... i guess i'm indifferent towards them. my santa fe has a ceramic coating on the round bar, my fridge smoker has some home-made round bar grates, and my parent's charcoal grill has stainless flattened expanded metal for their grate. the only CI grate that i have ever personally used rusted through within one year. granted, it was a cheaper one, but still... one year?

i dunno... maybe i should give them another try. I also have the mentality that if a steak has grill marks, great. if not, i don't really care, as long as it tastes good.

Later,
Andy

smokeasaurus
01-19-2011, 02:38 PM
Yup, you never see the grill marks when you are settin on the throne the next day!!! :roflmaoha0: As long as the grub tastes good. Of course, nice grill marks make for a nice presentation. You also never see the grill marks under sauteed mushrooms either!

I had some CI grates on an old Char-Griller I had years ago. As long as I kept a good coat of oil or shot em down with cooking spray they were fine.

My brother had one and never took care of his and they rusted right away.

SmokyOkie
01-19-2011, 03:28 PM
i guess i mis-spoke (again... lol)... it's not that i DISlike them... i guess i'm indifferent towards them. my santa fe has a ceramic coating on the round bar, my fridge smoker has some home-made round bar grates, and my parent's charcoal grill has stainless flattened expanded metal for their grate. the only CI grate that i have ever personally used rusted through within one year. granted, it was a cheaper one, but still... one year?

i dunno... maybe i should give them another try. I also have the mentality that if a steak has grill marks, great. if not, i don't really care, as long as it tastes good.

Later,
Andy

Yup, you never see the grill marks when you are settin on the throne the next day!!! :roflmaoha0: As long as the grub tastes good. Of course, nice grill marks make for a nice presentation. You also never see the grill marks under sauteed mushrooms either!

Grill marks are more than just appearance. they are the result of the Maillard process taking place which is what yields the deep beef flavor of a well seared steak.

BluDawg
01-19-2011, 05:55 PM
Grill marks are more than just appearance. they are the result of the Maillard process taking place which is what yields the deep beef flavor of a well seared steak.Show Off:moon: Know it all:moon::msn-wink::roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0:

smokeasaurus
01-19-2011, 08:06 PM
The Okie is wise Blue Dawg :msn-wink:

Seriously, another nice feature of CI grates is the nice flavor you get when they have been seasoned for a while. Kind of like an old CI skillet or a dutch oven

SmokyOkie
01-19-2011, 10:43 PM
Not to mention the non stick properties.

To make the CI grates last, just keep a can of Pam handy and after a hot fir, give the grates a quick spray after the grates have cooled down a bit.