PDA

View Full Version : THe Dr. is in the house

BluDawg
12-07-2010, 11:49 AM
I think that every body Knows I'm not a big sauce guy. But since I have 9 lb of outrageous Pulled Pork in the icebox I decided to see if I could come up with a good sauce besides my E. NC vinegar sauce. Every great sauce needs a special ingredient to build on. Since I have been a certified Pepper since about 1960 I decided to use Dr. Pepper as the foundation. What resulted was a sauce with sweet in the front and a little heat on the back end with Dr. Pepper undertones that go well with pork highlighting it's natural sweetness. This sauce is so good you will be hard pressed not to do shots of it.

BluDawgs Dr.Pepper BBQ sauce

Ingredients:

2 cans Dr. Pepper
1/2 cup lemon juice
1/2 cup veg oil
2 tsp Kosher salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp Basil
1 cup Hunts ketchup
1/3 cup Worcestershire
1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
2 tsp New Mexico Chili powder
1/3 cup minced onion
2 cloves garlic
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup Black Strap molasses

Place everything in the blender except 1 can of Dr. pepper and blend for 1 min. Transfer to a sauce pan stir in the remaining Dr pepper. bring to a low boil reduce heat to a simmer and reduce by 1/2. Cool and bottle. *

Joneser
12-07-2010, 12:09 PM
You'd have to be careful licking that off your fingers, you might just wanna take a bite.
Looks like a winner, Blu.
I might try a batch when my current stock runs out.

SmokyOkie
12-07-2010, 02:07 PM
Definitely sounds interesting. The basil stands out as very unusual to BBQ.

Butt Lover's
12-07-2010, 03:41 PM
Looks good. You my boy blue!

Fatback Joe
12-07-2010, 03:52 PM
Since I have been a certified Pepper since about 1960

What is a certified Pepper?

BluDawg
12-07-2010, 04:12 PM
What is a certified Pepper? A Dr. Pepper junkieD@

Fatback Joe
12-07-2010, 04:13 PM
I guess that makes me a certified bourbon then. :msn-wink:

BigAL
12-07-2010, 05:01 PM
Sounds good, Turd! BUT, I'll have to try it on the inlaws first.........cause you know......you can never trust a texan.(ya dang right I didn't capitalize the t in texan!):moon::msn-wink::roflmaoha0:

I sure like the "bang" w/the ACvinegar, though. Ya got one w/that in it?

BluDawg
12-08-2010, 02:08 PM
Sounds good, Turd! BUT, I'll have to try it on the inlaws first.........cause you know......you can never trust a texan.(ya dang right I didn't capitalize the t in texan!):moon::msn-wink::roflmaoha0:

I sure like the "bang" w/the ACvinegar, though. Ya got one w/that in it?The lemon juice gives a nice Acid kick but if you want to use ACV I would back it down to 1/4 cup and then work it up in small amounts. Like I said it is a well balanced sauce sweet up front then BAM a nice back heat at the finish. Oh and before I fergit2995:msn-wink::roflmaoha0: Ewe lovers never could spell, I here she's gitin ya a new pair of Rubber Boots for Christmas:moon::roflmaoha0: